GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 am

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I though 3M was too much...I was definitely willing to pay him 3, but I would have very high expectations after that. If we were paying him 4-5-6 million, my expectations would be through the roof.

This is precisely how I feel. I was good for paying him 2.8, but more than that, at this stage I can't imagine personally.

This sums it up well. I don't hate him or anything, but he's not worth 5 million to me.
exactly. If this offer sheet business is true (and I have my doubts) we'd better not match. I'm totally cool with having two 1st's, 2nd's, and 3rd's in this years draft and I'm comfortable going with the top-6 we'll have without Mez.

77Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

I'm going to go out on a limb and say...

... without wanting to pee on everyone's parade...

...that this is total BS.

Now that I've had time to think this over and assess the situation, and to look around to see what's what, I can't imagine anyone paying Meszaros that much money, and then, on top of that much money, giving up a minimum of their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. It's just way too much for the guy; it doesn't make any sense.

The Hockeybuzz people have determined that a team would need to have its original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round 2009 draft picks to do this. There are only something like 5 teams in the league who currently still have all 3 of their *original* picks to meet the compensation needed. Of those teams, about 4 of them are legitimately in the running for Hedmand or Tavares. And I can't see any GM being dumb enough to give away a shot at one of those two guys.

I think it's possible that someone's approached OTT with the possibility of the offer sheet, hoping to guage interest to see if we would be willing to trade Mesz. That's about it. My skepticism towards the whole situation rises with every moment that passes with no further details, as no one can confirm the amount, the term, or even the team who supposedly did the signing. Remember when we had Jason Williams "signed, sealed, and delivered," too? This just might be more of the same.

78Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

In respone rooneypoo, to enlighten you on the wonderful abilities of NHL GMs, I direct your attention to the contracts of Wade Redden, Mike Commodore, Jeff Finger, Scott Gomez, etc.....

Just look at Jeff Finger. If the Leafs can find it prudent to pay Jeff Finger 3.5 million per year, do you really think that 5+ million for Meszaros is out of the question?

In a league where Olli Jokinen is traded for the hockey equivalent of a deck of cards, two dozen synergy sticks, and a six pack of Sidney Crosby Gatorade do you think that no one would offer Meszaros 5+ million per year?

This league makes so little sense, and there are GMs so ridiculous, that signing Meszaros to a 5+ million dollar deal doesn't even seem crazy to me. This league is so Diddle up, that actually seems reasonable by comparison to say paying Mike Commodore 3.75 million a year for the next 5 years.

Don't even bother thinking things through logically anymore. These are the same GMs that will sign one of the best offensive defensemen to a 6 year contract extension with a NTC at the trade deadline, and then move the earths to ship him out of town before the end of the summer. Truly amazing what these GMs are capable of doing, and nothing comes as a surprise to me.

Hell, maybe that contract might be worth it 2 or 3 years from now, you never know. But given the precedence that these team owners and GMs have set, nothing seems illogical to me with regards to the NHL anymore. Truly a unique league.

79Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:42 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Now with regards to what team it is, I have no clue. But I am going to pray fiercely tonight that its the Atlanta Thrashers, because there is a very definite possibility of them winning the draft lottery next year.

80Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:15 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

If this deal does happen and Mez moves on. I think Murray should use one of our 2nd round picks with a either Zubov or Nikulin to get Barker out of Chicago. Dreger mentioned they were looking for another forward.

After looking at Barkers numbers last year I think he could do well and would be a cheaper version of Bouwmeester. I really like Bouwmeester but I think Martin would ask the world for him from Ottawa.

What makes it more exciting is that if luck was on our side and the extra pick turned into a top two we could have another quality center or a Big D-man to go with Barker...Ahhh gotta love working overnights and the day dreaming that comes with being up all night.

81Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The Ottawa Sun is speculating/reporting that the team is in fact the Tampa Bay Lightning. Can we officially deduce that there is a general lack of competency down there?

Link: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html

Yes, I do realize the author of the article is Garrioch who is about as connected as a computer on dial-up.

82Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:36 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:The Ottawa Sun is speculating/reporting that the team is in fact the Tampa Bay Lightning. Can we officially deduce that there is a general lack of competency down there?

Link: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html

Yes, I do realize the author of the article is Garrioch who is about as connected as a computer on dial-up.

To be honest, I really hope it is not Tampa. Meszaros could really help that team out and possibly push them into the playoffs. That would make the picks not as high as I would hope for. It would also push them at least $2 million over the cap. Since I can't imagine they actually want to be right at the cap, the would probably need to shed an additional $5 million somewhere else.

I still think it makes the most sense for Atlanta. They know they are in a much tougher division as Tampa and Carolina picked up some better players, and Washington is getting better through maturation. They need to be able to show Kovakchuk they are willing to improve their team. They also have over $18 million in cap space which means they can easily afford to take on a bloated Meszaros contract.

83Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:In respone rooneypoo, to enlighten you on the wonderful abilities of NHL GMs, I direct your attention to the contracts of Wade Redden, Mike Commodore, Jeff Finger, Scott Gomez, etc.....

Just look at Jeff Finger. If the Leafs can find it prudent to pay Jeff Finger 3.5 million per year, do you really think that 5+ million for Meszaros is out of the question?

In a league where Olli Jokinen is traded for the hockey equivalent of a deck of cards, two dozen synergy sticks, and a six pack of Sidney Crosby Gatorade do you think that no one would offer Meszaros 5+ million per year?

This league makes so little sense, and there are GMs so ridiculous, that signing Meszaros to a 5+ million dollar deal doesn't even seem crazy to me. This league is so Diddle up, that actually seems reasonable by comparison to say paying Mike Commodore 3.75 million a year for the next 5 years.

Don't even bother thinking things through logically anymore. These are the same GMs that will sign one of the best offensive defensemen to a 6 year contract extension with a NTC at the trade deadline, and then move the earths to ship him out of town before the end of the summer. Truly amazing what these GMs are capable of doing, and nothing comes as a surprise to me.

Hell, maybe that contract might be worth it 2 or 3 years from now, you never know. But given the precedence that these team owners and GMs have set, nothing seems illogical to me with regards to the NHL anymore. Truly a unique league.

Redden, Finger and Commodore were UFA signings. You cannot compare those to an RFA offer sheet, especially with the depth of the '09 draft coming up. I'm not disagreeing with your overall assessment, but those are not comparables.

84Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Schubert told he can play D? Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:13 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kind of related to the Meszaros saga, did anyone read over on Sens Army Blog about Schubert? It related to an article in a German paper where he said (quoting the translation from the blog, here):

• On playing forward and defence: "Yeah, it's alright. But now, I
    have a chance to play full-time on defence. That's what I always
    wanted. I said to the GM 'Please, make me happy and make me play
    defence more often', and he said 'Ok, you're right.'"
  • On his goal for this season: "Stay on defence the whole year. And show that I can be reliable there."
Here's the link to the blog:
http://sensarmy.blogspot.com/2008/08/schuberts-off-season.html

And here's the link to the German paper:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/55/308003/text/

85Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty waitaminit! Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just read the THN report:

The Hockey News has learned from an NHL source that Meszaros has agreed
to a multi-year offer sheet with an average salary in excess of $5
million per season

Nowhere does it say that this is an RFA offer sheet from an NHL club. The rumoured KHL contract could also be referred to as an "offer sheet" and it, reportedly, was for $5M and the KHL, again, reportedly, favors three-year deals.

Could it be just that?

86Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hope you're wrong wprager. That would frank us huge.

- Unknown Author

87Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

agreed! I assumed it was another NHL club that snagged him, not the KHL.

I think we're going to see some serious movement in Sens land for a bit boys!

88Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mornin' Cronenterainer,

I got passed by Heater last night dude. He's the reigning top poster.

I pass my :king: to him.

- Unknown Author

89Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:30 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:agreed! I assumed it was another NHL club that snagged him, not the KHL.

I think we're going to see some serious movement in Sens land for a bit boys!
Don't count on that. Murray seems to be saying he's not going to do anything.

This

90Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:In respone rooneypoo, to enlighten you on the wonderful abilities of NHL GMs, I direct your attention to the contracts of Wade Redden, Mike Commodore, Jeff Finger, Scott Gomez, etc.....

Erm... did you read all of my post? Especially the 2nd last paragraph, where I go over the fact that a team must have its original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks from 2009 for the compensation package, the fact that you cannot substitute any other picks from another team or another draft year (as we were speculating before), the fact that there are very few teams in this position, and that fact that half of the teams in that situation are in the running for a top-5 draft pick? Check out Tolensky's blog on this: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=51.

I know GMs can be dumb and sign players to stupid contracts, but look at the three most likely targets on that list: VAN, who would be giving up on Sundin if they did this; NJ, who has one of the most prudent GMs in the league with Lou; and TB, who would go way, way over the cap with this signing. These factors don't make the signing impossible, but they make it unlikely in my opinion.

All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if this whole "Mesz signs an offer sheet" stuff turns out to be total BS. I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Here we are, 15+ hours removed from the time when the sheet was purportedly signed, and no one has any info on the precise salary of the contract or its term or even what team signed him, and no one can quote any GM or agent confirming this rumour. Sounds like any awfully familiar scenario to me -- *cough, cough* the Jason Williams "signing".

91Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:53 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was just thinking about that Williams fiasco.

Now, if it's a false lead that originated from Mezie's camp, I can't for the life of me thinkwhat they will gain from this?

However, it seems this originated from a poster on HFboards, and he/she could be VERY well be having a little fun, if you will.

the fact is, as Rooneypoo pointed out, one can't dismiss the fact that TB is lacking that 3rd pick. That's a hurdle to say the least.

92Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I just read the THN report:

The Hockey News has learned from an NHL source that Meszaros has agreed
to a multi-year offer sheet with an average salary in excess of $5
million per season

Nowhere does it say that this is an RFA offer sheet from an NHL club. The rumoured KHL contract could also be referred to as an "offer sheet" and it, reportedly, was for $5M and the KHL, again, reportedly, favors three-year deals.

Could it be just that?

The whole internet world miscontrue something like this? Nah.

Where's the sarcasm buttom???

93Mez signs offer sheet - Page 6 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:

Erm... did you read all of my post? Especially the 2nd last paragraph, where I go over the fact that a team must have its original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks from 2009 for the compensation package, the fact that you cannot substitute any other picks from another team or another draft year (as we were speculating before), the fact that there are very few teams in this position, and that fact that half of the teams in that situation are in the running for a top-5 draft pick? Check out Tolensky's blog on this: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=51.

I know GMs can be dumb and sign players to stupid contracts, but look at the three most likely targets on that list: VAN, who would be giving up on Sundin if they did this; NJ, who has one of the most prudent GMs in the league with Lou; and TB, who would go way, way over the cap with this signing. These factors don't make the signing impossible, but they make it unlikely in my opinion.

All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if this whole "Mesz signs an offer sheet" stuff turns out to be total BS. I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Here we are, 15+ hours removed from the time when the sheet was purportedly signed, and no one has any info on the precise salary of the contract or its term or even what team signed him, and no one can quote any GM or agent confirming this rumour. Sounds like any awfully familiar scenario to me -- *cough, cough* the Jason Williams "signing".

I hear what you`re saying, it doesn`t seem to make sense from NJ, Van, and Tampa, nd it owuld be a huge mistake for one of the bottom feeder teams to potentially give up one of those high picks next year. But then again, all of the sources talking about this are a fairly credible. I don`t recall the Hockey News ever really talking rumour. Not to mention TSN talks about it, albeit quoting the Hockey news. Also, Tolensky seems to be one of the more reputable writers on Hockeybuzz. He tends to deal a lot more with fact and much less with rumour. If it was only Eklund or Klee, I would agree with you fully.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum