GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL)

+11
Acrobat
mattshock
shabbs
Riprock
PKC
spader
dennycrane
asq2
Jordo
wprager
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

POLL: Would you offer the sheet to Kessel if you were Burke?

Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) Vote_lcap227%Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) Vote_rcap2 27% [ 4 ]
Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) Vote_lcap273%Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) Vote_rcap2 73% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It seems it's going to happen, but if you were in Burke's shoes, would you do this?

The compensation for 3 million to 4.5 is a 1st roudner and a 3rd rounder - and Burke went out and re-acquired his 2nd rounder, which means the offer is likely from 4.5-5.2.

Has he addressed the situations properly on D that he can afford to give up these picks to acquire Kessel?

Did he purposely sign all the college players knowing that this situation was a distinct possibility and to make sure his prospect cupboard stayed relatively stocked?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I have no clue, to be honest. Anything in that range ($4.5-5.2M) is a huge overpayment for Kessel, IMO. To say nothing of the picks. My gut tells me keep away.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Kessel's still very young, I'm not sure if he's THE guy to build a team around, but he definitely helps, and let's be honest, 5mil is a lot of money, but in this day and age of the NHL, it really isn't for a guy like Kessel.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll say no personally. It's not like the Leafs are winning the Cup this year. Keep the pick, get even more depth and take a run at one or two UFAs next summer.

As impressive as acquing Kessel while still managing to keep their 7th overall and Kaberle would be, Burke would make himself look llike the biggest tool in the world by doing this. After all the hubbub about Penner, Burke really can't put out an offer sheet.

Whats amazing though is that I can fully see him doing this and finding a perfectly reasonable way to justify and explain it. He'd do it and still take a holier than thou stance Facepalm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Kessel's young enough that I'd probably do it. Ideally, though, I'd only be giving up 1 first rounder.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I'd love to see Kevin Lowe's press conference (and with Lowe's ego, you know there would be one).

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:As impressive as acquing Kessel while still managing to keep their 7th overall and Kaberle would be, Burke would make himself look llike the biggest tool in the world by doing this. After all the hubbub about Penner, Burke really can't put out an offer sheet.

Whats amazing though is that I can fully see him doing this and finding a perfectly reasonable way to justify and explain it. He'd do it and still take a holier than thou stance Facepalm

Don't forget, it's Burke. He's nothing if not a hypocrite. He wouldn't think twice about how it would look in the press if he did put out an offer sheet. Remember his position on Heatley and how it's his policy not to bring on players that requested a trade....after doing just that with Pronger?

I think Burke is a very smart guy, but he has no problem changing his mind when it suits his purpose, not that there's anything wrong with that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, Burke wouldn't think twice about extending an offer sheet to Kessel, then flipping him and picks to Ottawa for Heatley. If only he could figure out how to get some more picks.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I believe that Burke will do anything that he thinks will improve his team. Just because he says he'll never do something doesn't mean much coming from him. It's funny because he always talks about his "policies" but the truth is that he'll do anything that puts a better team on the ice.

I don't agree with everything he does, and less of what he says, but I do believe that he's smarter than many give him credit for.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:I believe that Burke will do anything that he thinks will improve his team. Just because he says he'll never do something doesn't mean much coming from him. It's funny because he always talks about his "policies" but the truth is that he'll do anything that puts a better team on the ice.

I don't agree with everything he does, and less of what he says, but I do believe that he's smarter than many give him credit for.

I really don't think he'll extend an offer sheet to Kessel. It just doesn't make sense considering how much money he would have to give him and the fact that Burke's first round pick is almost certainly going to be in the top 10.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't get it though. Boston can't seem to reach a deal with him, but they also don't seem willing to trade him. Why wouldn't they just trade his rights to Toronto who could then reach a deal with him?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I don't get it though. Boston can't seem to reach a deal with him, but they also don't seem willing to trade him. Why wouldn't they just trade his rights to Toronto who could then reach a deal with him?

He's injured right now. He can't play until November (correct me if I'm wrong). So I don't think there's any particular onus on Chiarelli to sign him now. He can just wait and see how the first month or so of the season unfolds before he figures out how he's going to get him into the roster.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I don't get it though. Boston can't seem to reach a deal with him, but they also don't seem willing to trade him. Why wouldn't they just trade his rights to Toronto who could then reach a deal with him?

I'd be very surprised to see him traded within the division.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Then, the only solution for Burke is to make an offer sheet, but he better be certain Kessel is the right player to make one to. Kovalchuk could be a FA next season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum