GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1Mez signs offer sheet Empty Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Signed, sealed and delivered. No one knows what team it is yet.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17685-Source-Senators-defenseman-Andrej-Meszaros-signs-offer-sheet-with-another-team.html

Last edited by 504Heater on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

2Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Signed, sealed and delivered. No one knows what team it is yet.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17685-Source-Senators-defenseman-Andrej-Meszaros-signs-offer-sheet-with-another-team.html

Oh my goodness. I hope that's not right. $5+ mil? Wow.

I mean, if we don't match... and $5 mil seems out of the question... I love the idea of all the draft picks, but that would mean (best case) we'd have to turn around a give assets up for Schneider or (worst case, and as Murray suggested we would do today if Mesz sits) we'd go into the season with our D as Phillips-Volchenkov, Smith-Lee, Schubert-Nycholat.

Blah.

3Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:10 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Holy Dung!

4Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Sensational Spezza

Sensational Spezza
Prospect
Prospect

Good and bad, good that we can end the Meszaros fiasco and get a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd and possibly another 1st

But bad that we will have to bomb the season

5Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see why we have to 'bomb' the season. There are still teams out there that need to move offensive defensemen just to get back under the cap. Think Schneider in Anaheim, think Aucoin in Calgary, think Barker in Chicago, etc..... Still lots of options on the table. Not to mention, if we don't match, we could flip the first to Florida with players and prospects for Bouwmeester. Lots of moves Murray can make.

I think the most unwise one, would be matching a 5+ million dollar offer sheet.

6Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Now the question I need to ask is, did this team make a formal offer to trade for Meszaros before extending the offer sheet?

Its killing me to know what's going on right now.

7Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:Signed, sealed and delivered. No one knows what team it is yet.

Oh my goodness. I hope that's not right. $5+ mil? Wow.

I mean, if we don't match... and $5 mil seems out of the question... I love the idea of all the draft picks, but that would mean (best case) we'd have to turn around a give assets up for Schneider or (worst case, and as Murray suggested we would do today if Mesz sits) we'd go into the season with our D as Phillips-Volchenkov, Smith-Lee, Schubert-Nycholat.

Blah.
Other than Nycholat, I expect the other 5 to be part of our 6 anyways, so I'm cool with it. Imo Schubert is the 2nd coming of Sami Salo, just with more physicality and grit. This will be the year he learns to control that boomer he has and he is decent at moving the puck. Phillips can move the puck, too and moving the puck is what Lee does, so I think we'll be just fine in that department.
As long as Nycholat can be responsible and hard working, while maybe performing like a Pothier or Preissing, we'll be ok with him as #6.

8Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

This is pretty big news. I am surprised at the timing of it. Why would a team make this news now? With all of the Sundin issues in the air, I thought that owuld have to be cleared up before someone spends $5million on Meszaros. There is no way Murray should sign this sheet, he is not worth it. I was all about keeping him, even if it meant over paying him at $3-3.5. That kind of salary would have been closer to market, but $5?!?! WTF, no way.

Does anyone know what the draft picks would be? Tolesnky has an interesting breakdown of what teams it could be.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16579

9Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I guess I just answered my own question. Here are the stats on offer sheets, in case anyone doesn't know them.

$863,156 or less

None

$863,156 - $1,307,812

3rd round pick

$1,307,812 - $2,615,625

2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,437

1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 - $5,231,249

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 - $6,539,062

Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more

Four 1st round picks

10Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Depending on the average salary of the contract, could be a first, second, and third round pick in 2009, or if it's over 5.3 million per year, an additional first round pick in 2010.

11Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:Depending on the average salary of the contract, could be a first, second, and third round pick in 2009, or if it's over 5.3 million per year, an additional first round pick in 2010.

I think either would be great options for Ottawa, but we would need to get someone like Schneider to ease this year out, or one of Chicago's young d-men.

12Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

There are several options I believe if Murray decides to not match the offer sheet. Quite a few teams over the cap with good 1-year stop gaps.

13Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy crap, I had to post this and run out for the evening. I can't believe it, I just can't believe it.

This is probably one of the best things that could've possibly happened to the Sens. I can't believe that we're intitled to a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd round pick. Hezus, turn around and trade Neil to Anaheim for Scheider and let Lee develop. If we need to take a run at rental puck mover next summer, so be it, but we have Karlsson and Weirchoch coming up and Lee's only gonna get better.

I have doubts that this is really true, but the assets we'd be getting back...

What if it's Florida or a team that has a craptastic season. What if we're in the lottery for franking Hedman or Tavares? Can you imagine?

I can't believe it.

14Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:03 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I know. We take the compensation, and the possibilities are limitless. Depending on the team and the placement of the draft pick in the order, it could be a top 10 pick, or we could use it and our draft pick to move up in the draft. We could use some of the lower draft picks to acquire a one-year stop gap (Aucoin, perhaps???). Christ, GIVE US MORE NEWS! Diddle!!!!

15Mez signs offer sheet Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I know. We take the compensation, and the possibilities are limitless. Depending on the team and the placement of the draft pick in the order, it could be a top 10 pick, or we could use it and our draft pick to move up in the draft. We could use some of the lower draft picks to acquire a one-year stop gap (Aucoin, perhaps???). Christ, GIVE US MORE NEWS! Diddle!!!!

Good Lord this could be the Florida Panthers..or the Vancouver Canucks...man oh man we're getting 2 amazing picks and the 3rd rounder isn't too shabby. So many assets in one shot...

And we'll end up with someone like Schneider who's better anyway.

Pinch me...Mez signs offer sheet 1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum