GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:48 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
jamvan wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I agree Jamvan. Even if Murray does nothing to fill the void left by Mesz other than promoting from within - we'll have a great set of picks to re-stock the cupboards.

As many have pointed out before - this likely isn't our year to win the Cup so I'm fine with not doing as well this year AND getting all those picks. With guys like Karlsson and Lee being very strong by 2010 and our farm team well stocked, this could set us up for years to come.
I think we're in a similar mold to the Colorado Avalanche who always seem to at least have a shot at upsetting, but we're in much better shape. Through all this UFA crap with the Sens, we forget that we still have 3 of the best forwards in the game today. We can be assured that one if not 3 of the young kids step in here and achieve above and beyonf their expectations.

We can't forget that with Hartsburg at the helm, he's AWESOME at getting the most out of a player. I think what HArtsburg is going to bring to this team is being overlooked. We're going to see a completely different game plan than last season. Wait and see.

Exactly Jam! Very well said!
I, for one, am SO excited to see what Hartsburg does and what kind of ethic he instills on this squad. I'm sure it will be well known from day 1 that adherence to his system is MANDATORY!!

Oh I certainly don't think we'll tank by any means and I totally agree that Hartsburg will bring a lot to this team. All I'm saying is without Mesz it could hurt if he's not adequately replaced and that if that happens and we get the comp picks for Mesz I'm fine with that.

107Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

I hear what you`re saying, it doesn`t seem to make sense from NJ, Van, and Tampa, nd it owuld be a huge mistake for one of the bottom feeder teams to potentially give up one of those high picks next year. But then again, all of the sources talking about this are a fairly credible. I don`t recall the Hockey News ever really talking rumour. Not to mention TSN talks about it, albeit quoting the Hockey news. Also, Tolensky seems to be one of the more reputable writers on Hockeybuzz. He tends to deal a lot more with fact and much less with rumour. If it was only Eklund or Klee, I would agree with you fully.

Every minute that passes with no info on the salary, the term, the signing team, or confirmation from an agent, a GM, or an NHL representative, I grow more and more skeptical. On the one hand, we have the evidence of one THN report, which has no specifics and no quotes from any named sources; and we also have a multitude of sources and chat boards, which in turn ultimately all reference this one THN report. On the other hand, we have common sense, which says that this is way too much for Mesz and there are so few teams who have both the cap space and the requisite picks to put forth the offer; and we have reports from journalists (however much we might laugh at him from time to time) like Garriock reporting that "two league sources insisted that no formal offer sheet has been filed with the NHL" -- http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html -- and quotes from Murray denying that this has gone down -- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247779&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl.

Over the past 16 hours, I've moved from shock and anger towards Mesz, to hopeful inquisitiveness about the prospect of what those draft picks could mean for us, to complete distrust of the original report. I'm willing to bet that my skepticism is going to be vindicated sometime in the next 48 hours, and many people around the internet blogging world will be left scratchng their heads and wondering why they spend so much time and effort discussing something that in fact never did happen.

Your points are all certainly valid, and you may well be right. If nothing more concrete surfaces by this afternoon, then I will agree with you hat it is BS.

108Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

I hear what you`re saying, it doesn`t seem to make sense from NJ, Van, and Tampa, nd it owuld be a huge mistake for one of the bottom feeder teams to potentially give up one of those high picks next year. But then again, all of the sources talking about this are a fairly credible. I don`t recall the Hockey News ever really talking rumour. Not to mention TSN talks about it, albeit quoting the Hockey news. Also, Tolensky seems to be one of the more reputable writers on Hockeybuzz. He tends to deal a lot more with fact and much less with rumour. If it was only Eklund or Klee, I would agree with you fully.

Every minute that passes with no info on the salary, the term, the signing team, or confirmation from an agent, a GM, or an NHL representative, I grow more and more skeptical. On the one hand, we have the evidence of one THN report, which has no specifics and no quotes from any named sources; and we also have a multitude of sources and chat boards, which in turn ultimately all reference this one THN report. On the other hand, we have common sense, which says that this is way too much for Mesz and there are so few teams who have both the cap space and the requisite picks to put forth the offer; and we have reports from journalists (however much we might laugh at him from time to time) like Garriock reporting that "two league sources insisted that no formal offer sheet has been filed with the NHL" -- http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html -- and quotes from Murray denying that this has gone down -- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247779&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl.

Over the past 16 hours, I've moved from shock and anger towards Mesz, to hopeful inquisitiveness about the prospect of what those draft picks could mean for us, to complete distrust of the original report. I'm willing to bet that my skepticism is going to be vindicated sometime in the next 48 hours, and many people around the internet blogging world will be left scratchng their heads and wondering why they spend so much time and effort discussing something that in fact never did happen.
There was a quote from the TB ownership, I can't remeber where I saw it, and they said they will go after Meszaros if he isn't signed and basically were telling Murray of this. I don't think Murray cares either way. I don't think he holds Mez in very high regards to be honest and that's the way it should be. He hasn't proven anything yet other than being a consistant 35+ point guy, who plays every game and misses the net more than hitting it and doesn't like to play the body.

You may be onto something though, all of this could be a smok screen to a signing here at Murray's price in the end. Either way, I'm fine if we play the year with or without Mez. If I'm giving my own opinion...he can go!!!

109Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:52 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

There was a quote from the TB ownership, I can't remeber where I saw it, and they said they will go after Meszaros if he isn't signed and basically were telling Murray of this. I don't think Murray cares either way. I don't think he holds Mez in very high regards to be honest and that's the way it should be. He hasn't proven anything yet other than being a consistant 35+ point guy, who plays every game and misses the net more than hitting it and doesn't like to play the body.

You may be onto something though, all of this could be a smok screen to a signing here at Murray's price in the end. Either way, I'm fine if we play the year with or without Mez. If I'm giving my own opinion...he can go!!!

As of this friday at 10:52 a.m. (my time), I 2nd that!
BYE BYE MEZIE! Thanks for the picks! :D

110Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

jamvan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

If I'm giving my opinion, its the same as the everyone elses. I have no preference in whether he stays or goes... i would rather him go at this point just because he's been this difficult up until now, and doesn't really show dedication to the team if he let it go this long. Those picks could be very nice, and i think that the 6th D spot could really be filled by someone within the organization.. and i don't think it would hurt the team at all.. but only time will tell. I want a definite answer as to whats going on here! :drunken:

111Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah, I hear ya Mosky. A definitive answer surely couldn't hurt by noon today, perhaps? LOL

112Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:Oh yeah, I hear ya Mosky. A definitive answer surely couldn't hurt by noon today, perhaps? LOL

I would be very happy.. considering today is my last day at my job.. it would just make this already awesome day TEN times better!! lol

:geek: squirrel
(Mez) (Mosky)

113Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:21 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mosky wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:Oh yeah, I hear ya Mosky. A definitive answer surely couldn't hurt by noon today, perhaps? LOL

I would be very happy.. considering today is my last day at my job.. it would just make this already awesome day TEN times better!! lol

(Mez) (Mosky)

No way!! Are you off to something bigger and more promising, or hanging up the skates, so to speak?

114Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:23 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

[quote="Mosky"]
Cronenbergfan wrote:

(Mez) (Mosky)

O come now, lads, don't be so hard on Mesz. What if this is all BS? What if he didn't and has no intention of signing an offer sheet because he's a loyal Sen? What if he's dedicated to get a contract worked out with us, and he's our #1 offensive Dman next month and for years to come?

I know everything's uncertain right now, but there's a good chance that Mesz could well be our #1 offensive D man now and for years to come. Don't have crazy monkey-squirrels peeing on him just yet.

115Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

[quote="rooneypoo"]
Mosky wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

(Mez) (Mosky)

O come now, lads, don't be so hard on Mesz. What if this is all BS? What if he didn't and has no intention of signing an offer sheet because he's a loyal Sen? What if he's dedicated to get a contract worked out with us, and he's our #1 offensive Dman next month and for years to come?

I know everything's uncertain right now, but there's a good chance that Mesz could well be our #1 offensive D man now and for years to come. Don't have crazy monkey-squirrels peeing on him just yet.
I can't see Mez ever as a #1 defenceman. I've never been a big fan of his game to be honest. He's decent, but I think he's way overhyped to be honest. He should take the contract offered by Murray then, if here's where he wants to play. He'll definitely be given the opportunity to big a huge part of the team.

116Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

[quote="rooneypoo"]
Mosky wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

(Mez) (Mosky)

Haha, i may be quick to jump the gun with my peeing-monkey, but i stand by what i said just because its not directly Mezaros that i want my monkey to pee on, but the Mezaros situation. This, IMO, has gone on LONG enough. Murray offered you a deal, so either take it or tell him you're not interested and we can move on from the situation.. all this waiting, all this time, for what? You're not Sundin, and you're not worth $10 mil. SO WHATS THE F affraid ING hold up? That's all im upset about, and apparently more upset than i thought i was

117Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
I can't see Mez ever as a #1 defenceman. I've never been a big fan of his game to be honest. He's decent, but I think he's way overhyped to be honest. He should take the contract offered by Murray then, if here's where he wants to play. He'll definitely be given the opportunity to big a huge part of the team.

You're misquoting me here. I say "#1 offensive dman." There's not question that he will be our best offensive Dman if he plays with us this year. If he develops as expected and we fail to land a guy like J-Bo next summer, I have to think that he will be our best offensive Dman for a while to come.

This contract business sometimes goes like this. It often takes a deadline to get people talking serious about compromises. You can't blame Mesz if he's waiting things out for a whle because he wants to both play with the Sens AND get paid closer to what he thinks he's worth. I don't see how those two positions are mutually exclusive.

118Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

You're misquoting me here. I say "#1 offensive dman." There's not question that he will be our best offensive Dman if he plays with us this year. If he develops as expected and we fail to land a guy like J-Bo next summer, I have to think that he will be our best offensive Dman for a while to come.

This contract business sometimes goes like this. It often takes a deadline to get people talking serious about compromises. You can't blame Mesz if he's waiting things out for a whle because he wants to both play with the Sens AND get paid closer to what he thinks he's worth. I don't see how those two positions are mutually exclusive.
I wasn't really quoting you rooney, but that's fine, I hear what your saying and agree whole heardelty. I'd just rathe rsee him gone in all honesty, but that's just me.

I'd love to land JayBo, but I just don't ever see that happening.

119Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Mosky wrote:

Haha, i may be quick to jump the gun with my peeing-monkey, but i stand by what i said just because its not directly Mezaros that i want my monkey to pee on, but the Mezaros situation. This, IMO, has gone on LONG enough. Murray offered you a deal, so either take it or tell him you're not interested and we can move on from the situation.. all this waiting, all this time, for what? You're not Sundin, and you're not worth $10 mil. SO WHATS THE F affraid ING hold up? That's all im upset about, and apparently more upset than i thought i was

Ah, OK. Peeing on the current Mesz situation because of the uncertainty it's generated seems fair.

All I'm trying to say is that Mesz could well be on this team for a long while to come, and if so he will be one of if not our best offensive Dmen for some time. Reserve judgment on Mesz until we know the facts. If he's signed elsewhere, I'll whip out the peeing monkey-squirrel, too. But if this turns out to be all BS, then everyone needs to remember the good stuff about Mesz: he's 22 and has loads of potential, and will be an important part of our team for the foreseeable future. I'm mjust worried that all this buzz could be getting us thinking badly about Mesz when in fact he may well not deserve it at all.

120Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Mosky wrote:

Ah, OK. Peeing on the current Mesz situation because of the uncertainty it's generated seems fair.

All I'm trying to say is that Mesz could well be on this team for a long while to come, and if so he will be one of if not our best offensive Dmen for some time. Reserve judgment on Mesz until we know the facts. If he's signed elsewhere, I'll whip out the peeing monkey-squirrel, too. But if this turns out to be all BS, then everyone needs to remember the good stuff about Mesz: he's 22 and has loads of potential, and will be an important part of our team for the foreseeable future. I'm mjust worried that all this buzz could be getting us thinking badly about Mesz when in fact he may well not deserve it at all.

Valid point(s) Rooney.

I was just told that this may have been a scare tactic on TB's part. Somewhat of a warning (albeit subtle, LOL) of what their intentions are. long and short, until they re-acquire that 3rd pick, Murray needn't worry... YET.

121Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 am

Latest from Chirp:
Bizarre situation unfolding with regards to the offer sheet and Andrej Meszaros. It appears as though the Tampa Bay Lightning have expressed an interest in Meszaros and have said that if the Senators don't trade Meszaros to Tampa, they intend to pursue him (with an offer sheet). The catch is the Lightning don't have the necessary picks to compensate the Senators should they not match the Lightning offer.

Bush league tactics on the part of Tampa, but until they re-acquire that 3rd round pick for the Penguins, Murray really doesn't have much to worry about.

122Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
Valid point(s) Rooney.

I was just told that this may have been a scare tactic on TB's part. Somewhat of a warning (albeit subtle, LOL) of what their intentions are. long and short, until they re-acquire that 3rd pick, Murray needn't worry... YET.

Me too. Trade possibilities are mounting with TB. 1st, Jokinen and a 3rd. What are you hearing?

123Mez signs offer sheet - Page 8 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:56 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Latest from Chirp:
Bizarre situation unfolding with regards to the offer sheet and Andrej Meszaros. It appears as though the Tampa Bay Lightning have expressed an interest in Meszaros and have said that if the Senators don't trade Meszaros to Tampa, they intend to pursue him (with an offer sheet). The catch is the Lightning don't have the necessary picks to compensate the Senators should they not match the Lightning offer.

Bush league tactics on the part of Tampa, but until they re-acquire that 3rd round pick for the Penguins, Murray really doesn't have much to worry about.

That's what I got in a nutshell, except I wasn't relayed anything about a trade...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum