GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 51]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Not saying he's not a decent prospect. He brings an element that's missing. But he's not a top pairing guy so replacing him would not be all that difficult. Prefer to keep him but if he's part of a bigger trade to bring in an RHD to complement one of our top-4 lefties, or a starter you do it.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don’t think the sens can pass up on Tij Iginla is he’s available to us at our pick. He screams future star.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’m gonna guess Todd McLellan will be our next head coach. Nobody has as impressive of a track record out there. Gruden and Woodcroft as assistants.

I wouldn’t mind any of the options talked about really, but Todd’s teams are consistently playoff and cup contenders. Obviously he is missing the cup win.

If Mike Sullivan is fired then he’d be the top choice imo

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hilarious to see Sens fans on Twitter are still challenged. Tons of coaching experts on there…

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I love the Travis Green hiring simply because all the other Sens bozos hate it. They are usually so dead wrong

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I don’t think the sens can pass up on Tij Iginla is he’s available to us at our pick. He screams future star.

I was just thinking that today.
The kind of guy you want in your organization to win.

Probably available at 7 unless someone reaches.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I love the Travis Green hiring simply because all the other Sens bozos hate it. They are usually so dead wrong

Well he was definitely my least favourite candidate of the 4 mentioned by booboo.
NJ didn’t have any interest in keeping him.

We weren’t getting Berube with the amount of teams in the running.
I was hoping it was gonna be Todd.
I hope they bring in Gruben to take care of the D.
He’ll likely be the insurance when they fire Green. That’s probably what they’ll tell him too.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I love the Travis Green hiring simply because all the other Sens bozos hate it. They are usually so dead wrong

Well he was definitely my least favourite candidate of the 4 mentioned by booboo.

He’ll likely be the insurance when they fire Green. That’s probably what they’ll tell him too.

The hype for Berube makes no sense anyway. He’s been an average coach (record wise)!outside one mid season replacement run. He’s gonna go to Toronto and fail cause that team stinks. Plus, why would the top candidate even come here?

I didn’t really care who they hired since it’s all on the players regardless. If we had better goaltending and Stutzle played well, we would have made the playoffs regardless.

If they wanted gruden they could have just hired him. Who cares what the fans think/thkught.

Last edited by Ev on Mon May 06, 2024 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I don’t think the sens can pass up on Tij Iginla is he’s available to us at our pick. He screams future star.

I was just thinking that today.
The kind of guy you want in your organization to win.

Probably available at 7 unless someone reaches.

He’s rising hard and just had an outstanding U-18. Could see the habs take him

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

The hype for Berube makes no sense anyway. He’s been an average coach (record wise)!outside one mid season replacement run. He’s gonna go to Toronto and fail cause that team stinks. Plus, why would the top candidate even come here?

I didn’t really care who they hired since it’s all on the players regardless. If we had better goaltending and Stutzle played well, we would have made the playoffs regardless.

If they wanted gruden they could have just hired him. Who cares what the fans think/thkught.

I wouldn’t want Gruden as a head coach but he did wonders with the NYR D as the D coach.
They like him. But they want to test drive him. He hasn’t shown as a head coach that he could do it.

I certainly hope they hire well around Green.
I think Todd Mcleelan was the obvious choice. Maybe even better than Berube. Always has had success with all his teams.

Missed opportunity right there.
Unless all these candidates decided to go elsewhere. Which is entirely possible.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have no idea why people thought Julien was a legit option. He hasn’t coached in three years.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I wouldn’t want Gruden as a head coach but he did wonders with the NYR D as the D coach.
They like him. But they want to test drive him. He hasn’t shown as a head coach that he could do it.

I certainly hope they hire well around Green.
I think Todd Mcleelan was the obvious choice. Maybe even better than Berube. Always has had success with all his teams.

Missed opportunity right there.
Unless all these candidates decided to go elsewhere. Which is entirely possible.

Personally I would rather have McLellan too but I see no reason not to give Green a chance. There’s plenty of coaches who took a while to settle into a successful/stable situation.

Winnipeg and Toronto are definitely better options, so maybe McLellan is gonna go there.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good lord this fanbase is the most dramatic, whiny bunch of losers I’ve ever seen

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

People have every right to be upset. This hiring wreaks of a traditional Sens coaching hire, ie: inexperienced, losing record, budget hire (TBD?), etc. I'm more troubled about several bad years in Vancouver and a tumultuous end in NJ as an interim coach. I actually think NJ and Ottawa are two parallel teams and it's not reassuring to see their problems (goaltending/consistency) are the same as ours. I'm also concerned that they seemed to hire someone who is going to work the players into the ice. DJ had his flaws but he also had his strengths. No reason we had to hire such extremes, vs finding a coach who is balanced. 

As per the NHL draft, I'm happy with Buioum, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Eiserman at 9 and Mews, Emery, Letourneau with Boston's pick. Personally I hope it's Lerourneau

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:People have every right to be upset. This hiring wreaks of a traditional Sens coaching hire, ie: inexperienced, losing record, budget hire (TBD?), etc. I'm more troubled about several bad years in Vancouver and a tumultuous end in NJ as an interim coach. I actually think NJ and Ottawa are two parallel teams and it's not reassuring to see their problems (goaltending/consistency) are the same as ours. I'm also concerned that they seemed to hire someone who is going to work the players into the ice. DJ had his flaws but he also had his strengths. No reason we had to hire such extremes, vs finding a coach who is balanced. 

As per the NHL draft, I'm happy with Buioum, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Eiserman at 9 and Mews, Emery, Letourneau with Boston's pick. Personally I hope it's Lerourneau

It’s not a budget hire. Nothing he did in NJ has any meaning to what he will do here. He was brought in very late in the year on a team that as Dung and had injuries. And in Vancouver that team wasn’t great and had lots of problems with management and ownership. The man coaching Vancouver now was Dung on by fans and had a big losing record befor being hired.

People can Wing Dang Doodle all they want, but then they have no right to be happy if green and the sens have a great year next season

The reality is the sens just hired a guy who ticks every box on what “fans” wanted so they really have no basis to be so mad. After watching his press conference I get the sense he’s going to do well here.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I should clarify that my comments about Green are from the perspective of why the fan base could/should be upset. My personal opinion - I don't really care who coaches so long as the team wins games. I don't really have an opinion on Green. @Ev you made good points that I agree with. 

I think if this team wants to get out of the basement the onus falls on the GM to clean up Dorion's mess. We've traded away too many 1st rd picks and we've used the ones we've had poorly (see Tyler Boucher). Go big on a goalie, move Chychrun and bring in some vets throughout the lineup. 

Also - Halliday now has 8 points in 6 playoff games. He's been on PP1 and seems to be a catalyst for Belleville's offense. I'm not sure if he makes the team out of camp, but he and Kleven will be a big part of the team's future.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Halliday looks real good and he’s not that young so he should definitely be up soon if he has that ability

In regards to the draft, I’m not understanding why Yakemchuk isn’t ranked higher. He is a near complete defenseman with height, size and scoring, meanness, physicality, decent skating, and is a right shot. Just needs to work on positioning and own zone more. He’d be a great pick for the sens and can play sooner than other players (not that that is big deal, but might be for Staios and co compared to other higher risk D)

I still want Iginla but not gonna be one of those people who yell at them for not picking the guy I decided I wanted in two days of research

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don’t have so much an opinion on Green as I have on picking another guy.
Green had a weird team in Van and that NJ team had some definite holes.

Before the season starts, it’s up to staois to fill in those holes.

But what I found more concerning is their choice of green. It leaves me wondering that the other coaches that were interviewed probably turned down the job?

Berube could have. McClellan? I don’t know. Maybe if he felt he was the lead candidate for another team further ahead (like NJ).

The next obstacle is goaltending and will be a better gauge of what Staois is capable of doing.
I personally don’t want Markstrom as much as NJ probably does. The dude is 34. The backend of his career. Let him go to jersey.
He’s probably gonna cost a 1st and then some.
If you’re gonna overpay you have better overpay for Saros. He didn’t have a great playoff so the team might be open to wanting to have a split duty between askarov and another goalie.
I’d be willing to trade our 7th overall plus one of our better prospect, take your pick or even our second 1st if it means acquiring Satos on an extension (agreed to prior).
It’s always nice getting new prospects but we’ll likely get something decent out of Chychrun.
A few trades and a couple of FA and I think this trade is ready to compete. A saros is a real difference maker. Pay what you have to that doesn’t impact our team too much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 51]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum