GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

So does anyone want to place bets for bragging rights on which team signed the deal? I'm guessing the Isles or Atlanta. Either one would be great for use because those would be some great pics coming back our way. This seem like a move Long Island would do, but I have a feeling Atlanta needs him more to prove to Kovalchuk that they are serious.

So my bet is one Atlanta,,,any takers?

32Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Talk is it's LA who has put in the offer sheet. They will finish way down again, so look for a real big return.

Makes sense cause they don't need anymore prospects really, they are loaded.

That would be insane if it was them. They're gonna finish bottom of the league again - and they're one year away from cashing in on their prospects. Why give away picks at this stage. Like, I believe this is literally giving away picks. If Mez was worth this much, why wasn't he snatched on day 1 to an offer sheet. There was never any chance we'd go near 5 million for him.

If it's LA, we prepare for Hedman or Tavares. Prepare I tell ya.

33Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mojo1016 wrote:So does anyone want to place bets for bragging rights on which team signed the deal? I'm guessing the Isles or Atlanta. Either one would be great for use because those would be some great pics coming back our way. This seem like a move Long Island would do, but I have a feeling Atlanta needs him more to prove to Kovalchuk that they are serious.

So my bet is one Atlanta,,,any takers?

I'll go New Jersey. Boy I hope I'm wrong though, I want it to be Atlanta or LA or the Isles soooooooo bad.

34Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:Talk is it's LA who has put in the offer sheet. They will finish way down again, so look for a real big return.

That would be insane if it was them. They're gonna finish bottom of the league again - and they're one year away from cashing in on their prospects. Why give away picks at this stage. Like, I believe this is literally giving away picks. If Mez was worth this much, why wasn't he snatched on day 1 to an offer sheet. There was never any chance we'd go near 5 million for him.

Do they have all their picks though? Tolensky on HB thinks it's Vancouver which could be equally good. He has played in Vancouver before.

35Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy crap, there's a little rumour out there that this could be a 6 or more year offer sheet - and if that's the case it gets bumped up to 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd.

I doubt that's true, but that would be hilarious.

36Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Do they have all their picks though? Tolensky on HB thinks it's Vancouver which could be equally good. He has played in Vancouver before.

I really don't see why Vancouver would want to do it. That would give them around $20 million in defence without having any really solid guy, just a bunch a decent-to-good players. You would think if they were to sign an offer sheet, it would be for a forward. Bu stranger things have happened.

37Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:Holy crap, there's a little rumour out there that this could be a 6 or more year offer sheet - and if that's the case it gets bumped up to 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd.

I doubt that's true, but that would be hilarious.

Do you have any info on whether the length of the deal affects the pics coming back? I haven't seen anything myself, but it would be pretty sweet if it was.

38Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm

504Heater wrote:

Although, from that perspective, there's genius in signing Mez.
They truly have an insane amount of quality prospects, many of whom will be ready for the big club in 09-10, yet will still be on entry-level contracts.
See what I'm saying?

39Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mojo1016 wrote:
I really don't see why Vancouver would want to do it. That would give them around $20 million in defence without having any really solid guy, just a bunch a decent-to-good players. You would think if they were to sign an offer sheet, it would be for a forward. Bu stranger things have happened.

They would trade Bieska or Edler (I doubt that), but one of the young guys, maybe they persuade Salo to waive his NTC and move him. But I'm pretty sure they'd move a D for a forward.

40Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
Although, from that perspective, there's genius in signing Mez.
They truly have an insane amount of quality prospects, many of whom will be ready for the big club in 09-10, yet will still be on entry-level contracts.
See what I'm saying?

There's genius in making an offer sheet from that perspective. Although wildly perverse because LA's built a beautiful young team - and when and if they start flirting with the cap ceiling - or their own cap ceiling of under 50 million, they'll need guys in their entry level contracts to call on. Then when they get too much, they do it all over again. When you have an internal salary cap - even if you don't, picks are so amazingly important because they breed entry level players.

The genius in signing an offer sheet if you're LA, is if it's for an elite player. Like I mean elite - and the team in question couldn't match the offer. Like a Malkin if Pittsburgh is up against it. That kind of thing. Elite goalie, elite winger, elite D-man. Blow your wad on someone that has a chance to step in there and make a difference.

Don't blow your wad on Andrej Meszaros.

41Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I have been hoping for someone to come along to offer up an offer sheet. The picks give us levarage in a quality draft if they aren't that high and if they are we still get us some quality prospects. It would be nice if the average is over 5.3 so we can get the extra pick in 2010. If Mez does go the way of an offer sheet, then I hope Murray goes after a young OFD like Barker via trade or Bouwmeester via trade or FA next year. I would rather have Murray bring in another young player to grow with the team instead of a stop gap in Schnieder. I proposed sometime back that LA would be a good fit as Mez has playoff experience and is still young. He could grow with the team, as well they have the cap space. So my guess its LA that put in the offer.

42Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:I have been hoping for someone to come along to offer up an offer sheet. The picks give us levarage in a quality draft if they aren't that high and if they are we still get us some quality prospects. It would be nice if the average is over 5.3 so we can get the extra pick in 2010. If Mez does go the way of an offer sheet, then I hope Murray goes after a young OFD like Barker via trade or Bouwmeester via trade or FA next year. I would rather have Murray bring in another young player to grow with the team instead of a stop gap in Schnieder. I proposed sometime back that LA would be a good fit as Mez has playoff experience and is still young. He could grow with the team, as well they have the cap space. So my guess its LA that put in the offer.

Yeah man. Grab Schneider or go younger and try to get Barker. But the point will be that we have the assest to acquire a great player coming back from Mez. We can definitely do something with this. I really believe that.

43Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:I have been hoping for someone to come along to offer up an offer sheet. The picks give us levarage in a quality draft if they aren't that high and if they are we still get us some quality prospects. It would be nice if the average is over 5.3 so we can get the extra pick in 2010. If Mez does go the way of an offer sheet, then I hope Murray goes after a young OFD like Barker via trade or Bouwmeester via trade or FA next year. I would rather have Murray bring in another young player to grow with the team instead of a stop gap in Schnieder. I proposed sometime back that LA would be a good fit as Mez has playoff experience and is still young. He could grow with the team, as well they have the cap space. So my guess its LA that put in the offer.

Yeah man. Grab Schneider or go younger and try to get Barker. But the point will be that we have the assest to acquire a great player coming back from Mez. We can definitely do something with this. I really believe that.
What about this though Heater?

From Murray: Murray also acknowledged that if Meszaros didn't sign, the Senators would look to fill the job internally and that the team was not entertaining the idea of a trade at this point.

44Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:

From Murray: Murray also acknowledged that if Meszaros didn't sign, the Senators would look to fill the job internally and that the team was not entertaining the idea of a trade at this point.

That's before he was handed a gift of a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd. I can understand his position in not really wanting to give away any of our picks. Our cupboards are getting better, but we still don't have an elite winger in the wings. Well...now with all these extra picks, he might be more inclined to give up a 2nd and/or a 3rd and maybe even a prospect and/or Chris Neil for a really good player - or maybe even two....

45Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:

My guess it opens up the door for Bell or Schubert take Mez spot and make a trade down the road once there is a better idea how good the picks would be. I'd be comfortable with either of them and giving a rookie forward a longer look.

46Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
My guess it opens up the door for Bell or Schubert take Mez spot and make a trade down the road once there is a better idea how good the picks would be. I'd be comfortable with either of them and giving a rookie forward a longer look.

I agree, that's possible. Murray takes a long look at Schubie, Nycholat and Bell, then strikes in December or January to nab a guy to help if things aren't great.

47Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:

That's before he was handed a gift of a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd. I can understand his position in not really wanting to give away any of our picks. Our cupboards are getting better, but we still don't have an elite winger in the wings. Well...now with all these extra picks, he might be more inclined to give up a 2nd and/or a 3rd and maybe even a prospect and/or Chris Neil for a really good player - or maybe even two....

Like Bouwmeester...didn't Martin always covet Chris Neil?

Ah one can dream

To Florida:
2nd rounder
3rd rounder
Neil
Nikulin/Zubov

To Ottawa
Bouwmeester
Mathias

48Mez signs offer sheet - Page 3 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Imagine being the GM that trades Tavares or Hedman for Meszaros?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum