GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

91Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:53 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was just thinking about that Williams fiasco.

Now, if it's a false lead that originated from Mezie's camp, I can't for the life of me thinkwhat they will gain from this?

However, it seems this originated from a poster on HFboards, and he/she could be VERY well be having a little fun, if you will.

the fact is, as Rooneypoo pointed out, one can't dismiss the fact that TB is lacking that 3rd pick. That's a hurdle to say the least.

92Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I just read the THN report:

The Hockey News has learned from an NHL source that Meszaros has agreed
to a multi-year offer sheet with an average salary in excess of $5
million per season

Nowhere does it say that this is an RFA offer sheet from an NHL club. The rumoured KHL contract could also be referred to as an "offer sheet" and it, reportedly, was for $5M and the KHL, again, reportedly, favors three-year deals.

Could it be just that?

The whole internet world miscontrue something like this? Nah.

Where's the sarcasm buttom???

93Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:In respone rooneypoo, to enlighten you on the wonderful abilities of NHL GMs, I direct your attention to the contracts of Wade Redden, Mike Commodore, Jeff Finger, Scott Gomez, etc.....

Just look at Jeff Finger. If the Leafs can find it prudent to pay Jeff Finger 3.5 million per year, do you really think that 5+ million for Meszaros is out of the question?

In a league where Olli Jokinen is traded for the hockey equivalent of a deck of cards, two dozen synergy sticks, and a six pack of Sidney Crosby Gatorade do you think that no one would offer Meszaros 5+ million per year?

This league makes so little sense, and there are GMs so ridiculous, that signing Meszaros to a 5+ million dollar deal doesn't even seem crazy to me. This league is so Diddle up, that actually seems reasonable by comparison to say paying Mike Commodore 3.75 million a year for the next 5 years.

Don't even bother thinking things through logically anymore. These are the same GMs that will sign one of the best offensive defensemen to a 6 year contract extension with a NTC at the trade deadline, and then move the earths to ship him out of town before the end of the summer. Truly amazing what these GMs are capable of doing, and nothing comes as a surprise to me.

Hell, maybe that contract might be worth it 2 or 3 years from now, you never know. But given the precedence that these team owners and GMs have set, nothing seems illogical to me with regards to the NHL anymore. Truly a unique league.

Erm... did you read all of my post? Especially the 2nd last paragraph, where I go over the fact that a team must have its original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks from 2009 for the compensation package, the fact that you cannot substitute any other picks from another team or another draft year (as we were speculating before), the fact that there are very few teams in this position, and that fact that half of the teams in that situation are in the running for a top-5 draft pick? Check out Tolensky's blog on this: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=51.

I know GMs can be dumb and sign players to stupid contracts, but look at the three most likely targets on that list: VAN, who would be giving up on Sundin if they did this; NJ, who has one of the most prudent GMs in the league with Lou; and TB, who would go way, way over the cap with this signing. These factors don't make the signing impossible, but they make it unlikely in my opinion.

All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if this whole "Mesz signs an offer sheet" stuff turns out to be total BS. I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Here we are, 15+ hours removed from the time when the sheet was purportedly signed, and no one has any info on the precise salary of the contract or its term or even what team signed him, and no one can quote any GM or agent confirming this rumour. Sounds like any awfully familiar scenario to me -- *cough, cough* the Jason Williams "signing".

I hear what you`re saying, it doesn`t seem to make sense from NJ, Van, and Tampa, nd it owuld be a huge mistake for one of the bottom feeder teams to potentially give up one of those high picks next year. But then again, all of the sources talking about this are a fairly credible. I don`t recall the Hockey News ever really talking rumour. Not to mention TSN talks about it, albeit quoting the Hockey news. Also, Tolensky seems to be one of the more reputable writers on Hockeybuzz. He tends to deal a lot more with fact and much less with rumour. If it was only Eklund or Klee, I would agree with you fully.

94Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:58 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:I was just thinking about that Williams fiasco.

Now, if it's a false lead that originated from Mezie's camp, I can't for the life of me thinkwhat they will gain from this?

However, it seems this originated from a poster on HFboards, and he/she could be VERY well be having a little fun, if you will.

the fact is, as Rooneypoo pointed out, one can't dismiss the fact that TB is lacking that 3rd pick. That's a hurdle to say the least.

I`m pretty sure Edmonton had to reacquire one of their picks in the Penner offer sheet.

95Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:01 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

mojo1016 wrote:

I`m pretty sure Edmonton had to reacquire one of their picks in the Penner offer sheet.
There are so many scenarios here and so many teams that can get into the equation if they make a move for a pick. One thing is for certain, if he is offered this sheet, there's no way in a million years that Murray will match it.

96Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mojo1016 wrote:

Oh no, I realize that. I didn't mean to say it's not possible because they DON'T have their pick, only that it's a hurdle they'll have to tackle, assuming this offer sheet thing is legit.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of HOOEY, and quite frankly I don't understand what is gained by either side for putting it out, assuming one of the sides is responsible for the so-called 'leak.'

97Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:03 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

There are so many scenarios here and so many teams that can get into the equation if they make a move for a pick. One thing is for certain, if he is offered this sheet, there's no way in a million years that Murray will match it.

GOOD! I wouldn't want Murray to match it. Mezie may be worth that much in say 3-4 years if he continues to work his tail off and improve; but right now, he's isn't worth a penny more than $3M, and I'm being generous!

98Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cronenbergfan wrote:

GOOD! I wouldn't want Murray to match it. Mezie may be worth that much in say 3-4 years if he continues to work his tail off and improve; but right now, he's isn't worth a penny more than $3M, and I'm being generous!

NO WAY Murray matches that. It's ridiculous. I wonder who we're going to sign now? Schneider rumours are picking up again.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Columbus who gave the offer sheet, after the Legein fiasco.

99Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

The one other thing that seems suspicious to me and makes me believe the rumour is the timing of the Murray`s pres conference about this player just a few hours before this rumour breaks out. It seems like he is preparing the fans for the eventual outcome that he won`t be back. By being the first one to come out publicly, he can sway reactions a little more in his favour. I have to be honest though, even if there was not a press conference, I would still agree with Murray for staying away from that offer sheet (assuming he will indeed stay away).

100Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Jordo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

NO WAY Murray matches that. It's ridiculous. I wonder who we're going to sign now? Schneider rumours are picking up again.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Columbus who gave the offer sheet, after the Legein fiasco.
Ah, good point, but then they'd be losing another prospect and in essence could cost them 2 firts, 2 seconds and a third. WOuld they pay that for Meszaros??? Please do it though.

I want this to go down so badly. I agree, there's no way Murray matches and I think he'll even be happy to see Mez gone.

101Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree Jamvan. Even if Murray does nothing to fill the void left by Mesz other than promoting from within - we'll have a great set of picks to re-stock the cupboards.

As many have pointed out before - this likely isn't our year to win the Cup so I'm fine with not doing as well this year AND getting all those picks. With guys like Karlsson and Lee being very strong by 2010 and our farm team well stocked, this could set us up for years to come.

- Unknown Author

102Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:35 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I agree Jamvan. Even if Murray does nothing to fill the void left by Mesz other than promoting from within - we'll have a great set of picks to re-stock the cupboards.

As many have pointed out before - this likely isn't our year to win the Cup so I'm fine with not doing as well this year AND getting all those picks. With guys like Karlsson and Lee being very strong by 2010 and our farm team well stocked, this could set us up for years to come.
I think we're in a similar mold to the Colorado Avalanche who always seem to at least have a shot at upsetting, but we're in much better shape. Through all this UFA crap with the Sens, we forget that we still have 3 of the best forwards in the game today. We can be assured that one if not 3 of the young kids step in here and achieve above and beyonf their expectations.

We can't forget that with Hartsburg at the helm, he's AWESOME at getting the most out of a player. I think what HArtsburg is going to bring to this team is being overlooked. We're going to see a completely different game plan than last season. Wait and see.

103Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

mojo1016 wrote:

I hear what you`re saying, it doesn`t seem to make sense from NJ, Van, and Tampa, nd it owuld be a huge mistake for one of the bottom feeder teams to potentially give up one of those high picks next year. But then again, all of the sources talking about this are a fairly credible. I don`t recall the Hockey News ever really talking rumour. Not to mention TSN talks about it, albeit quoting the Hockey news. Also, Tolensky seems to be one of the more reputable writers on Hockeybuzz. He tends to deal a lot more with fact and much less with rumour. If it was only Eklund or Klee, I would agree with you fully.

Every minute that passes with no info on the salary, the term, the signing team, or confirmation from an agent, a GM, or an NHL representative, I grow more and more skeptical. On the one hand, we have the evidence of one THN report, which has no specifics and no quotes from any named sources; and we also have a multitude of sources and chat boards, which in turn ultimately all reference this one THN report. On the other hand, we have common sense, which says that this is way too much for Mesz and there are so few teams who have both the cap space and the requisite picks to put forth the offer; and we have reports from journalists (however much we might laugh at him from time to time) like Garriock reporting that "two league sources insisted that no formal offer sheet has been filed with the NHL" -- http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html -- and quotes from Murray denying that this has gone down -- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247779&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl.

Over the past 16 hours, I've moved from shock and anger towards Mesz, to hopeful inquisitiveness about the prospect of what those draft picks could mean for us, to complete distrust of the original report. I'm willing to bet that my skepticism is going to be vindicated sometime in the next 48 hours, and many people around the internet blogging world will be left scratchng their heads and wondering why they spend so much time and effort discussing something that in fact never did happen.

104Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:43 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I agree Jamvan. Even if Murray does nothing to fill the void left by Mesz other than promoting from within - we'll have a great set of picks to re-stock the cupboards.

I think we're in a similar mold to the Colorado Avalanche who always seem to at least have a shot at upsetting, but we're in much better shape. Through all this UFA crap with the Sens, we forget that we still have 3 of the best forwards in the game today. We can be assured that one if not 3 of the young kids step in here and achieve above and beyonf their expectations.

We can't forget that with Hartsburg at the helm, he's AWESOME at getting the most out of a player. I think what HArtsburg is going to bring to this team is being overlooked. We're going to see a completely different game plan than last season. Wait and see.

Exactly Jam! Very well said!
I, for one, am SO excited to see what Hartsburg does and what kind of ethic he instills on this squad. I'm sure it will be well known from day 1 that adherence to his system is MANDATORY!!

105Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:46 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo, I share your range of emotions but, if we didn't discuss things like this then this site and forum subjects like Rumour chat and This Just in would be pretty empty :lol!: . I don't mind the wild goose chases actually, it gives us all something to talk about and even if it's untrue it's an interesting topic of debate in terms of what ifs I think.

- Unknown Author

106Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:48 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Exactly Jam! Very well said!
I, for one, am SO excited to see what Hartsburg does and what kind of ethic he instills on this squad. I'm sure it will be well known from day 1 that adherence to his system is MANDATORY!!

Oh I certainly don't think we'll tank by any means and I totally agree that Hartsburg will bring a lot to this team. All I'm saying is without Mesz it could hurt if he's not adequately replaced and that if that happens and we get the comp picks for Mesz I'm fine with that.

- Unknown Author

107Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

Every minute that passes with no info on the salary, the term, the signing team, or confirmation from an agent, a GM, or an NHL representative, I grow more and more skeptical. On the one hand, we have the evidence of one THN report, which has no specifics and no quotes from any named sources; and we also have a multitude of sources and chat boards, which in turn ultimately all reference this one THN report. On the other hand, we have common sense, which says that this is way too much for Mesz and there are so few teams who have both the cap space and the requisite picks to put forth the offer; and we have reports from journalists (however much we might laugh at him from time to time) like Garriock reporting that "two league sources insisted that no formal offer sheet has been filed with the NHL" -- http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/08/29/6603526-sun.html -- and quotes from Murray denying that this has gone down -- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247779&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl.

Over the past 16 hours, I've moved from shock and anger towards Mesz, to hopeful inquisitiveness about the prospect of what those draft picks could mean for us, to complete distrust of the original report. I'm willing to bet that my skepticism is going to be vindicated sometime in the next 48 hours, and many people around the internet blogging world will be left scratchng their heads and wondering why they spend so much time and effort discussing something that in fact never did happen.

Your points are all certainly valid, and you may well be right. If nothing more concrete surfaces by this afternoon, then I will agree with you hat it is BS.

108Mez signs offer sheet - Page 7 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
mojo1016 wrote:

There was a quote from the TB ownership, I can't remeber where I saw it, and they said they will go after Meszaros if he isn't signed and basically were telling Murray of this. I don't think Murray cares either way. I don't think he holds Mez in very high regards to be honest and that's the way it should be. He hasn't proven anything yet other than being a consistant 35+ point guy, who plays every game and misses the net more than hitting it and doesn't like to play the body.

You may be onto something though, all of this could be a smok screen to a signing here at Murray's price in the end. Either way, I'm fine if we play the year with or without Mez. If I'm giving my own opinion...he can go!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum