GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meszaros and Murray at a stand still

+8
Mosky
Cap'n Clutch
Acrobat
Cronie
wprager
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 16]

1Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:23 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

The latest news is Murray has (was said awhile ago) tabled his final offer. Murray apparently has a deadline that if Meszaros doesn't sign, he will allow him to sit out. And I don't mean the start of the season, the whole thing. Word is, if he's not signed by Murray's self imposed deadline, he has a backup plan for another d-man and someone he'd much rather have than Meszaros.

Two names that have been mentioned to me are: Schneider (ofcourse and makes the most sense) and Van Ryn from Florida. Van Ryn is intriguing to me, as he had a nightmarish season last year, but has put up some pretty good totals before that. I was told that Florida wants some young forwards in return with some offensive upside and the deal could involve Nikulin and Hennessey.

2Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a franking waste of a year that would be for Mez (and us), huh? Idiot. Sign. Quickly.

3Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:What a franking waste of a year that would be for Mez (and us), huh? Idiot. Sign. Quickly.
I hear you, his agent is making a mess out of this for him. I know for fact that Mez wants to play no where else but here, but sadly it's coming down to the money. I'm almost at my wits end, but in the same breath, Murray is lowballing him, which I'm glad he's doing.

4Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:What a franking waste of a year that would be for Mez (and us), huh? Idiot. Sign. Quickly.
I hear you, his agent is making a mess out of this for him. I know for fact that Mez wants to play no where else but here, but sadly it's coming down to the money. I'm almost at my wits end, but in the same breath, Murray is lowballing him, which I'm glad he's doing.

What's lowballing though? 2.2? Is he worth more than that as a 22 year old? Frank that, IMO, you need to prove you're worth 4 million before you get 4 million.

5Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:48 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I'm right on board with you there Heater. $2.2 is worth it to me and Murray, but not on the market, but who frankin cares about that right? Just sign and stop holding up the GM from making more moves.

6Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:I'm right on board with you there Heater. $2.2 is worth it to me and Murray, but not on the market, but who frankin cares about that right? Just sign and stop holding up the GM from making more moves.

Little asshole. What right does he have to think he's worth more than that at 22. Sometimes you get painted with a brush and it's hard to clean that paint off. Proceed with caution Mez.

7Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Again the offer sheet scenario can be brought up... if he was worth it, wouldn't teams have made an offer already? I mean, really, with it taking this long, wouldn't other teams suspect somethign and just take a shot?

8Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Murray's playing hardball, but it's a risky move in the long-term, unless he can somehow land Bouwmeester. Schneider would be great as a fill-in (although I still hate that salary) but what after that? It's a good 2-3 years before the latest draft picks are ready, and Meszaros is already a three-season veteran at 22.

If it's the agent, then fire the agent and get a new one. $2.2M or whatever for one year, prove you're not just a one-year wonder and really cash in.

On the other hand, he could go to Russia for what would probably be the equivalent of a $5M deal here. Hmm.

Now, from the agent's p.o.v., 10% of $2M here or $2M there makes no difference. To the player, though, it's a huge difference. Maybe that explains why he hasn't simply gone to Russia by now.

9Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:

What's lowballing though? 2.2? Is he worth more than that as a 22 year old? Frank that, IMO, you need to prove you're worth 4 million before you get 4 million.

Exactly!! This is what I've been saying for a while now. This arrogant sense of entitlement that Mezie and/or his agent has is ridiculous. He's 22!! Sign the $2.5M deal for one year and prove yourself worthy of a massive pay bump; otherwise sit out and watch your stock on the Sens and the rest of the league fall faster than AOL shares!!

Suck it up Mez and sign.

However, on the other hand, I'm kind of excited to see what Schneider or Van Ryn can do in a Sens uni... Smile

10Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
However, on the other hand, I'm kind of excited to see what Schneider or Van Ryn can do in a Sens uni... Smile

Me too. I'd love to see Schneider. 75 points later, I'm sure of it.

11Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Couldn't he fire his agent, and then sign? (essentially, he gets 10% higher than he would otherwise...) The agent's a dipwad anyhow for pissing off Murray at this stage. Things aren't going to get better...

(as you can tell, I'm not a big fan of lawyers - no offense intended to anyone out there who happens to be one, but my experience with them so far hasn't been good)

12Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm

504Heater wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

Meszaros has a lot to prove. At 2.5 he remains a reasonably priced rearguard. He can play at the 35 point level he has proven he can play at. If he is asking for more than Volchie (who we have at a sweetheart deal) and the same as Phillips (veteran leader on this club). He has to bring a lot more to the table 45 to 50 points and some physicality. He also has to start being an all situations player. At this point he has not proven he can play at that level. On the other hand he is a freakin 22 year old who has 3 - 35 point seasons as a rearguard on one of the top clubs in the east. In the end he needs to have some sense shaken into him and get him to sign a short term (1 or 2 year deal) at 2.5 prove it and you will move up the pay scale ladder quickly. But at this point he hasn't proven he is as valuable as Phillips nor do I think he is really. If he is worried about term, I would sign him to a 4 year deal that escalates... 2.3, 2.5 3.0 and 4.2. That is a 4 year deal with a cap hit of 3. Makes too much sense to have it actually happen.

13Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

I was on that train over at HB. I think if we can find a way to make it fit with an appropriate cushion then our back end would be unreal. Yes I realise it would be unlikely to occur I just really like the idea.

14Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Schneider would be an ideal addition IMO. HE gives us points, offence and we only need him for a year. I'm getting so anxious for the season to start that this Mez thing is pi$$ing me off.

15Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Empty Re: Meszaros and Murray at a stand still Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Schneider would be an ideal addition IMO. HE gives us points, offence and we only need him for a year. I'm getting so anxious for the season to start that this Mez thing is pi$$ing me off.

I almost wish Murray would trade for Schneider and take the offer off the table and present Mesz with a lowball offer. What's Mesz going to do? Yes people I realise that it would be the end of his time in Ottawa but it would put Mesz in a no win situation and Ottawa would be fine for this season and we'd have tonnes of Cap room to go shopping in the offseason and Lee would be ready to step up along with possibly Karlsson getting his feet wet a little on callups.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 16]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum