GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mez signs offer sheet

+13
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Amnesia021
LethalLehner
Phoenix30
beerandsens
jamvan
Mojo
Sensational Spezza
PKC
rooneypoo
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

61Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 pm

504Heater wrote:
Amnesia021 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Imagine being the GM that trades Tavares or Hedman for Meszaros?

Plus, If our D is going to be as bad as some people think, we could end up with both! :D

LOL. That's hilarious and possible. We'd be a dynasty if that happened though. What a great poll question that's about to be.... :D
we'd lose them in no time to free agency

62Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:48 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tukker wrote:

Not before we had 3 solid years of them with Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, A-Train, Phillips, a goalie and hopefully still Alfie. We'd be spectacularly good. Then...maybe you can trade a couple of guys that you previously wouldn't have...depending on how good these guys are (Hedman's apparently the European Chris Pronger, so...keep him for sure).

63Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 pm

"from TSN:

The Hockey News has subsequently reported that Meszaros has signed an offer sheet with another team worth more than $5 million per season, but the Senators are denying it while Meszaros' agent Ritch Winter told TSN, "No comment," when asked about the offer sheet signing."

I don't know about you guys, but "No comment" does nothing to convince me the reports are false...

64Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm

504Heater wrote:
tukker wrote:

Not before we had 3 solid years of them with Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, A-Train, Phillips, a goalie and hopefully still Alfie. We'd be spectacularly good. Then...maybe you can trade a couple of guys that you previously wouldn't have...depending on how good these guys are (Hedman's apparently the European Chris Pronger, so...keep him for sure).
they'd be nowhere near their primes after just 3 years

65Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

HockeyBums is saying it's false, but I can't see how that's possible given the circumstances and the Hockey News article. The Hockey News guy would lose any credibility he had as a hockey writer, and that's a very bad thing.

66Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tukker wrote:
504Heater wrote:
tukker wrote:

We're talking guys that are arguably more talented than Kane, Toews, Backstrom, you name the rookie that had 60-70 points last year.

They'd come in and with the lineup we already had, they'd be awesome. Just...awesome.

67Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:"from TSN:

The Hockey News has subsequently reported that Meszaros has signed an offer sheet with another team worth more than $5 million per season, but the Senators are denying it while Meszaros' agent Ritch Winter told TSN, "No comment," when asked about the offer sheet signing."

I don't know about you guys, but "No comment" does nothing to convince me the reports are false...

Are your feelings that we should retain Mez, or would you grab the picks?

68Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 am

504Heater wrote:HockeyBums is saying it's false, but I can't see how that's possible given the circumstances and the Hockey News article. The Hockey News guy would lose any credibility he had as a hockey writer, and that's a very bad thing.
Hockeybums?? lmao than it must be true...

69Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 am

504Heater wrote:
tukker wrote:
504Heater wrote:
tukker wrote:

We're talking guys that are arguably more talented than Kane, Toews, Backstrom, you name the rookie that had 60-70 points last year.

They'd come in and with the lineup we already had, they'd be awesome. Just...awesome.
im still picking turris to be better than stamkos, tavares, and kane. maybe not hedman though

70Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:HockeyBums is saying it's false, but I can't see how that's possible given the circumstances and the Hockey News article. The Hockey News guy would lose any credibility he had as a hockey writer, and that's a very bad thing.
Hockeybums?? lmao than it must be true...

He nailed something the other day...I can't remember what the heck it was. I think it was the Vlasic term.

71Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 am

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:"from TSN:

Are your feelings that we should retain Mez, or would you grab the picks?
I'm not a homerun on taking the picks and running, but in no way should we be paying Mez 5+ million...Its too bad, but I wouldn't pay him more than 4M and even that is too much (for now) imo....

72Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
I'm not a homerun on taking the picks and running, but in no way should we be paying Mez 5+ million...Its too bad, but I wouldn't pay him more than 4M and even that is too much (for now) imo....

I understand what you mean. It's potentially hurtful, but I trust Murray to do the right thing - and I second what you say about not a penny over 4. Actually, I thought 4 was high based on his performance the last 2 seasons.

73Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 am

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:

I understand what you mean. It's potentially hurtful, but I trust Murray to do the right thing - and I second what you say about not a penny over 4. Actually, I thought 4 was high based on his performance the last 2 seasons.
To be perfectly honest, I though 3M was too much...I was definitely willing to pay him 3, but I would have very high expectations after that. If we were paying him 4-5-6 million, my expectations would be through the roof.

74Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I though 3M was too much...I was definitely willing to pay him 3, but I would have very high expectations after that. If we were paying him 4-5-6 million, my expectations would be through the roof.

This is precisely how I feel. I was good for paying him 2.8, but more than that, at this stage I can't imagine personally.

This sums it up well. I don't hate him or anything, but he's not worth 5 million to me.

75Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Man I hate working nights. Now I have to stay up all night wondering whats going to happen. I am sure we'll have a better idea tomorrow, which in my case will be tomorrow afternoon when I get up.

Just checking NHL.com and noticed that LA signed Teubert and 2 others.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=380840&page=NewsPage&service=page

76Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 am

504Heater wrote:
cash wrote:

This is precisely how I feel. I was good for paying him 2.8, but more than that, at this stage I can't imagine personally.

This sums it up well. I don't hate him or anything, but he's not worth 5 million to me.
exactly. If this offer sheet business is true (and I have my doubts) we'd better not match. I'm totally cool with having two 1st's, 2nd's, and 3rd's in this years draft and I'm comfortable going with the top-6 we'll have without Mez.

77Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I'm going to go out on a limb and say...

... without wanting to pee on everyone's parade...

...that this is total BS.

Now that I've had time to think this over and assess the situation, and to look around to see what's what, I can't imagine anyone paying Meszaros that much money, and then, on top of that much money, giving up a minimum of their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. It's just way too much for the guy; it doesn't make any sense.

The Hockeybuzz people have determined that a team would need to have its original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round 2009 draft picks to do this. There are only something like 5 teams in the league who currently still have all 3 of their *original* picks to meet the compensation needed. Of those teams, about 4 of them are legitimately in the running for Hedmand or Tavares. And I can't see any GM being dumb enough to give away a shot at one of those two guys.

I think it's possible that someone's approached OTT with the possibility of the offer sheet, hoping to guage interest to see if we would be willing to trade Mesz. That's about it. My skepticism towards the whole situation rises with every moment that passes with no further details, as no one can confirm the amount, the term, or even the team who supposedly did the signing. Remember when we had Jason Williams "signed, sealed, and delivered," too? This just might be more of the same.

78Mez signs offer sheet - Page 5 Empty Re: Mez signs offer sheet Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

In respone rooneypoo, to enlighten you on the wonderful abilities of NHL GMs, I direct your attention to the contracts of Wade Redden, Mike Commodore, Jeff Finger, Scott Gomez, etc.....

Just look at Jeff Finger. If the Leafs can find it prudent to pay Jeff Finger 3.5 million per year, do you really think that 5+ million for Meszaros is out of the question?

In a league where Olli Jokinen is traded for the hockey equivalent of a deck of cards, two dozen synergy sticks, and a six pack of Sidney Crosby Gatorade do you think that no one would offer Meszaros 5+ million per year?

This league makes so little sense, and there are GMs so ridiculous, that signing Meszaros to a 5+ million dollar deal doesn't even seem crazy to me. This league is so Diddle up, that actually seems reasonable by comparison to say paying Mike Commodore 3.75 million a year for the next 5 years.

Don't even bother thinking things through logically anymore. These are the same GMs that will sign one of the best offensive defensemen to a 6 year contract extension with a NTC at the trade deadline, and then move the earths to ship him out of town before the end of the summer. Truly amazing what these GMs are capable of doing, and nothing comes as a surprise to me.

Hell, maybe that contract might be worth it 2 or 3 years from now, you never know. But given the precedence that these team owners and GMs have set, nothing seems illogical to me with regards to the NHL anymore. Truly a unique league.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum