GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL)

+11
Acrobat
mattshock
shabbs
Riprock
PKC
spader
dennycrane
asq2
Jordo
wprager
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

POLL: Would you offer the sheet to Kessel if you were Burke?

Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap227%Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 27% [ 4 ]
Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) - Page 2 Vote_lcap273%Kessel Offer Sheet: Would you do it? (WITH A POLL) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 73% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I don't get it though. Boston can't seem to reach a deal with him, but they also don't seem willing to trade him. Why wouldn't they just trade his rights to Toronto who could then reach a deal with him?

He's injured right now. He can't play until November (correct me if I'm wrong). So I don't think there's any particular onus on Chiarelli to sign him now. He can just wait and see how the first month or so of the season unfolds before he figures out how he's going to get him into the roster.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I don't get it though. Boston can't seem to reach a deal with him, but they also don't seem willing to trade him. Why wouldn't they just trade his rights to Toronto who could then reach a deal with him?

I'd be very surprised to see him traded within the division.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Then, the only solution for Burke is to make an offer sheet, but he better be certain Kessel is the right player to make one to. Kovalchuk could be a FA next season.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Then, the only solution for Burke is to make an offer sheet, but he better be certain Kessel is the right player to make one to. Kovalchuk will be a FA next season.

Fixed.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It's no guarantee though. Obviously there will be a lot of offers, but other than TO really, who has the cash? Atlanta has a lot, but are they going to spend it on him?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Isles, Nashville, Phoenix, Columbus, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, Tampa Bay, Colorado, St. Louis, Florida... they all have quite a bit of cap room.

Last edited by shabbs on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NYI, Nashville, Dallas, Columbus, Phoenix, Atlanta, LA...there are lots of teams that can afford him. I'm not sure who has the picks necessary to tender an offer sheet though.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why wouldn't Dallas give it a run? Or Columbus for that matter? Two potential playoff teams that could definitely help their cause by adding a young 30+ goal scorer to their lineups.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Sorry, I was talking about Kovalchuk. That guy's going to want 7.5+.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I actually don't think Kovalchuk makes it to free agency. I think they come to a deal by December.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think this move makes sense for the Leafs, but why else would be trade for that pick?

He gave up a 2nd that would be needed to make that Kovy offersheet too btw (I think).

SpezDispenser wrote:I actually don't think Kovalchuk makes it to free agency. I think they come to a deal by December.

Its hard to say one way or the other at this point. It all depends on the development of their youth. If Kane impresses and makes it out of training camp; if Bogosian takes hold of that vacant #1 spot; if Pavelic or Lehtonen prove they can consistently mind that crease; if Little and Enstrom keep up their development.....

Just like the Sens season, ATL keeping Kovalchuk has too many ifs to be sure of anything...

And that doesn't even take into account the other ifs like if he is unsigned as of the Olympics, will Ovechkin maybe talk him into a discount to come play for the other team Russia?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I actually don't think Kovalchuk makes it to free agency. I think they come to a deal by December.

Its hard to say one way or the other at this point. It all depends on the development of their youth. If Kane impresses and makes it out of training camp; if Bogosian takes hold of that vacant #1 spot; if Pavelic or Lehtonen prove they can consistently mind that crease; if Little and Enstrom keep up their development.....

Just like the Sens season, ATL keeping Kovalchuk has too many ifs to be sure of anything...

I think this is the best team Kovalchuk has had around him since the first year after the lock-out.

The Thrashers went out and added Antropov and Kubina this off-season, Todd White just had a 73 point season, Bogosian might score 20 goals, Enstrom will be looking to bounce back after a sophomore slump, Kozlov's still there and Little scored 30 goals last season.

I think Kane could use more time in the Juniors, but if he does make it, they'll have a pretty nice top-6 with Kovalchuk, Antropov, Kozlov, Kane, White and Little, and a decent top-4 with Kubina, Hainsey, Bogosian and Enstrom.

If the goaltending can hold up, and I think it has the potential too, they could be pretty competitive.

Then factor in that they've given Kovalchuk the captaincy and I'm sure are prepared to offer him megamoney to stay, and I don't think it's an entirely foregone conclusion.

Yeah they could very well be playoff bound. They have the makings of a bubble team if they stay healthy and Lehtonen learns some consistency.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
cas wrote:

I think this is the best team Kovalchuk has had around him since the first year after the lock-out.

The Thrashers went out and added Antropov and Kubina this off-season, Todd White just had a 73 point season, Bogosian might score 20 goals, Enstrom will be looking to bounce back after a sophomore slump, Kozlov's still there and Little scored 30 goals last season.

I think Kane could use more time in the Juniors, but if he does make it, they'll have a pretty nice top-6 with Kovalchuk, Antropov, Kozlov, Kane, White and Little, and a decent top-4 with Kubina, Hainsey, Bogosian and Enstrom.

If the goaltending can hold up, and I think it has the potential too, they could be pretty competitive.

Then factor in that they've given Kovalchuk the captaincy and I'm sure are prepared to offer him megamoney to stay, and I don't think it's an entirely foregone conclusion.

The Todd White season seems to be quite the aberration, so I'm not sure if he can get back up to the 70+ point plateau again. As for Bogosian, I would be sincerely shocked if he hit 20 goals...would take monstrous amounts of powerplay time and a ridiculous sophomore season. He might hit 40 points though with 12-15 goals.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We had a similar debate about Bogosian in the Draft Thread. I think this guy is primed to have a fantastic season and completely take control of Atlanta's PP - which has the potential to be very, very good.

SpezDispenser wrote:We had a similar debate about Bogosian in the Draft Thread. I think this guy is primed to have a fantastic season and completely take control of Atlanta's PP - which has the potential to be very, very good.

I, on the other hand, feel like its still a year too soon and he won't top 35 points Shrug

10-25-35 for what amounts to a rookie on a team like Atlanta is pretty damn good. He's also more of an all around defenseman than just an offensive force. He's an American Shea Weber... who put up 40 points in his second season on an, arguably, much better Nashville team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum