GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reputation system

+15
beerandsens
rooneypoo
Ev
Amnesia021
TheAvatar
asq2
The Silfer Server
wprager
shabbs
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
strachattack
PTFlea
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should we re-instate the Reputation system

Reputation system - Page 6 Vote_lcap240%Reputation system - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 10 ]
Reputation system - Page 6 Vote_lcap260%Reputation system - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 60% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 25

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

76Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:See what you get when there is no fear of de-repping?

Sens Buzz?

77Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Erik Daze would be a better fit for the Sens though. I'd give him a nice 3x3 deal.

78Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Let's stop the 'source' and 'confirmed' posts please. It is getting annoying.

This!

Any Habs rumors?

NO. But here are some Habs facts:

Reputation system - Page 6 65556

79Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:See what you get when there is no fear of de-repping?

To be fair, there was tons of that stuff/fluff even when the rep system was in place.

80Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Well the negatives of a rep system are certainly well known.

What does a rep system actually add to this site ? I can't think of anything

81Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:12 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

Hoags wrote:Well the negatives of a rep system are certainly well known.

What does a rep system actually add to this site ? I can't think of anything

Ego-stroking? Kind of like post count... Sarcasm

82Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:42 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally feel this system was removed prematurely and with out any evidence that there was a problem with it out side of Rooney suggesting that because he lost 13 or 14 rep points in a week that there must be a problem with it. I haven't received a single PM suggesting there's a problem with it. I haven't seen a single post other than from Rooney suggesting there's a problem with it. The only posts from other members agreeing with Rooney are premised with the fact that IF Rooney's assertion is in fact correct then that is not cool.

I actually have an issue with removing the system based on that and put it to the members. Would you like the reputation system re-instated.

I don't like to post non Hockey polls on the main board but I think this one warrants it. Please vote.

The evidence was there for everyone to see, and count and re-count, right up until the rep system was abolished and the relevant info deleted.

On July 11, I was a plus 17 -- here's the link that proves it: http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-state-of-discussions-at-gmhockey-t4744-40.htm#189906.

Then, if you counted up the pluses and minuses I received from that day until the day in question (this link -- http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-state-of-discussions-at-gmhockey-t4744-280.htm#190854), I was actually a +1, but had lost 13 or 14 points on the week. Those minuses had to come on older posts.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Someone was abusing the system. That is 100% fact.

In addition, N4L found the rat on the site who was in all probability responsible for this stuff, and nothing's being done about it right now. I'm going to talk to SD more about this, tho', so 'nuff said on that for the moment.

Anyway, I think bringing back the rep system will be possible 1) once we get rid of this rat, and 2) once we move to a 'sponsored membership' system or something like that. More needs to be done to protect the system from being abused, that's all. I know that it's not possible, but what's needed is a way in which every + or - a person leaves behind is accompanied by a name or otherwise leaves a trail. That would end all debate.

I disagree. Nothing you've said here makes me think abuse of the system was 100% fact.

You present this as fact when that absolutely is not. He suspects someone based on very poor quality evidence. I certainly can't say he's wrong but there's nothing to prove him right.

Follow up on the links in the above post. In the first one, I comment how "I'm down 10 points from 27," thus meaning I was at +17 points on that day. Then I'm at +4 at the end of the week (I mention that in one of the posts from July 17th), meaning I was down 14 points on the week, in spite of the fact that I was actually a +1 for the posts I did on the week.

It is 100% fact that someone went back to my old posts and minused them. That it happened in such a short timeframe confirms that something funny was going on. The only reason it's no longer provable is because the rep system was abolished and the evidence is no longer there. Even Prager saw that, tho', so I'm not alone. I'm sure SD must have saw it too, too, if he was the one who plugged the plug on the rep system.

If you don't want to believe this, it's because you in fact just don't want to believe this. I know you have a thing for not liking me, but this is beyond ridiculous. Write this one down: I'M TRYING TO HELP YOUR SITE. Put aside your bias for a moment.

83Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Umm, guys, what Rooney did was fairly simple. The only thing I did not have is his starting points, but there is no reason to suggest he'd be exaggerating them.

From that starting point(s), he went over all of his posts for a week, checking the pluses and minuses on each post -- that's fairly simple to do, actually. And over that time period he was either a +1 or a -1. However his reputation dropped 13-14 points. If the rep points were not taken away from the posts he did over that time period, then they must have been taken away from older posts. That much is 100%.

And, honestly, it's a little difficult to believe that he could lose 14 points from someone catching up reading old stuff. So, maybe not 100%, but I believe the evidence does indicate something not-quite-kosher going on. And, really, is that so difficult to believe? Like Neely, Rooney is making some enemies here but they are not content with just putting him on their foes list. It's immature, to be sure, but very believable that someone could go on a personal crusade to bring his points down, even if they have to wait 25 minutes between minuses and hunt down old posts to do so.

Now, picking up a second account just to do it faster? Maybe a bit less believable, but still possible.

Thanks, Prags -- I especially appreciate this from you. Reputation system - Page 6 822944

EDIT: I don't think I have enemies here. At least, not anyone who hasn't already been kicked off this site before.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

84Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Yes, it does indicate something is going on... that is true. Problem is, unless someone comes forth and owns up to the activities, or logs can be obtained to prove Rooney's suggestion, we're left making educated guesses.

At any rate, the important thing is that the owners/mods are attempting to address this issue and ensure it's kept at bay.

The evidence was deleted when the mods/owners deleted the rep system, about an hour after I pointed out the issue. It was as plain as day for anyone to see who looked at it. I'm pretty sure Prager saw it, and I'm guessing whoever hit the 'delete' button on the rep system must have seen it as well.

85Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:56 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:Yes, it does indicate something is going on... that is true. Problem is, unless someone comes forth and owns up to the activities, or logs can be obtained to prove Rooney's suggestion, we're left making educated guesses.

At any rate, the important thing is that the owners/mods are attempting to address this issue and ensure it's kept at bay.

The evidence was deleted when the mods/owners deleted the rep system, about an hour after I pointed out the issue. It was as plain as day for anyone to see who looked at it. I'm pretty sure Prager saw it, and I'm guessing whoever hit the 'delete' button on the rep system must have seen it as well.
You still don't know if it was one person abusing the system or a whole slew of people who minused you. And those people may have never posted here in the first place and just been lurkers.

Yes, the pattern is INDICATIVE of someone who was going back and minus'ing you... but to declare it as 100% fact is 100% false. That was my only issue with that statement.

86Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:07 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

You still don't know if it was one person abusing the system or a whole slew of people who minused you. And those people may have never posted here in the first place and just been lurkers.

Yes, the pattern is INDICATIVE of someone who was going back and minus'ing you... but to declare it as 100% fact is 100% false.
That was my only issue with that statement.

So we can agree that it's 100% fact that I lost 13 or 14 rep points on old posts in one week? Fine. I've said all along that it was either one person or one set of persons.

To me, it would be super weird if multiple posters, unknown to each other and without consultation, all went back and minused old posts of mine, on 14 separate occasions, all within 6 or 7 days. That sounds a whole lot more improbable and paranoid than the suggestion that there was one person, or set of person working in concert, doing the deed with intention.

So, what's 100% false again? It's true that a person/people went back and minused me, but to say just that is 100% false? That above statement doesn't even make sense, dude.

87Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Probability != fact. That was my point.

For the record, I do beleive it was one person with multiple accounts going back and minusing you.

88Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Probability != fact. That was my point.

For the record, I do beleive it was one person with multiple accounts going back and minusing you.

I appreciate that.

For the record, tho': it is 100% fact that I lost 13 or 14 points in 7 days; it is 100% fact that if you add up the pluses and minuses I got on the week for the week's posts, I was actually a +1; and therefore it is 100% fact that some person / some people, working in concert or not, went back to minus my old posts 13 or 14 times -- there is no other way I could have lost those point. None of that is disputable.

If you mean to say, "it was probable, but not fact, that one person did all that," then, yes, I agree. But to me, that suggestion makes a lot more sense than the suggestion that 5 or 6 people, unbeknownst to each other and without consultation, each acted separately to bring about the end result of a -13 or -14 on the week. That strikes me as highly improbably, though admittedly possible.

89Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:

I appreciate that.

For the record, tho': it is 100% fact that I lost 13 or 14 points in 7 days; it is 100% fact that if you add up the pluses and minuses I got on the week for the week's posts, I was actually a +1; and therefore it is 100% fact that some person / some people, working in concert or not, went back to minus my old posts 13 or 14 times -- there is no other way I could have lost those point. None of that is disputable.

If you mean to say, "it was probable, but not fact, that one person did all that," then, yes, I agree. But to me, that suggestion makes a lot more sense than the suggestion that 5 or 6 people, unbeknownst to each other and without consultation, each acted separately to bring about the end result of a -13 or -14 on the week. That strikes me as highly improbably, though admittedly possible.
This.

90Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

I guess I should have thought about that. Laugh1 I don't think there was a way to track +s and -s, but I could be wrong.

91Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I guess I should have thought about that. Laugh1 I don't think there was a way to track +s and -s, but I could be wrong.

I'm not blaming anyone. But since you presumably deleted the rep system after you saw my post, then you must have looked at what I was talking about, first, no?

92Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'm not blaming anyone. But since you presumably deleted the rep system after you saw my post, then you must have looked at what I was talking about, first, no?

It had filtered into one of the other threads I think, someone was moaning about a lost rep point and I noticed you were having issues with yours and I wanted to avoid any further damage. I never liked them anyway for reasons I've stated many times, I was basically looking for a reason.

93Reputation system - Page 6 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

rooneypoo wrote:

I appreciate that.

who cares? are you that insecure?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum