GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What point system for a fun Playoff Pool here?

+2
wprager
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll let everyone decide on what system to use for this year's playoffs.

I assume, even though there's no $$ awarded, people will still want to do a playoff pool for pride and bragging rights etc. (Aetherial, good job!).

Let me know in here - I'll use onlinepools.com.

Last edited by 504Heater on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We used to do this one at work:

Before the start of every round you picked the winning team and the number of games. 2 points for picking the correct team, and 1 for the correct number of games (the 1 point can be a bonus, only if you have the correct team as well, or a "loser point" which counts regardless). In each successive round you double th epoints, so that's 24 points each round, for a total of 96 points. Then we gave everyone 4 points to start -- as long as they anted up -- so it was all out of 100 in the end.

With the points doubling every round you're rarely out of it early, and it results in some strategic picking in later rounds (of course you don't know what everyone else picks).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds good, let's see if anyone else chimes in before we make a decision.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I have no experience with this, but Prags' idea sounds good...and simple enough LOL...to me.

Smile

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I even have (or used to have) a spreadsheet to facilitate scoring. We started this back in the day before OfficePools.com and others, and did things the old-fashioned way, with some fancy formulas, conditional formatting and VBA macros and stuff.

Oh, the good ol' days. The kids today, they'll never know how tough we had it.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:I even have (or used to have) a spreadsheet to facilitate scoring. We started this back in the day before OfficePools.com and others, and did things the old-fashioned way, with some fancy formulas, conditional formatting and VBA macros and stuff.

Oh, the good ol' days. The kids today, they'll never know how tough we had it.

Let's not pick on the kids of today now... Sad
lol!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Let's make sure that no one wants to do a player pool. Or, we can we get away with doing both/is there interest?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can we have Prager set up the round by round pool - and I'll set up the player pool.

That way, the work is minimal - just checking stats and Dung.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Im in!!!

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS
ANAHEIM DUCKS

POSITION PLAYER GP POINTS GOALS ASSISTS

C RYAN GETZLAF 81 91 25 66
RW COREY PERRY 78 72 32 40
D SCOTT NIEDERMEYER 82 59 14 45
RW BOBBY RYAN 64 57 31 26
RW TEEMU SELANNE 65 54 27 27
D CHRIS PRONGER 82 48 11 37
C ANDREW EBBETT 48 32 8 24
C ERIK CHRISTENSEN 64 28 7 21
D JAMES WISNIEWSKI 48 24 3 21
D RYAN WHITNEY 48 23 2 21
C ROB NIEDERMEYER 79 21 14 7
C TODD MARCHANT 72 18 5 13
RW GEORGE PARROS 74 10 5 5
LW DREW MILLER 27 10 4 6
C PETTERI NOKELAINEN 50 9 4 5
C RYAN CARTER 48 9 3 6
D BRET HEDICAN 51 6 1 5
D FRANCOIS BEAUCHEMIN 20 5 4 1
D BRETT FESTERLING 40 5 0 5
D SHELDON BROOKBANK 44 4 1 3
RW MIKE BROWN 48 4 2 2
D BRENDAN MIKKELSON 34 2 0 2
D BRIAN SALCIDO 2 1 0 1
LW MATT BELESKEY 2 0 0 0
RW TROY BODIE 4 0 0 0

GOALIES

GAMES PLAYED W L OT SO GAA SV%

G JONAS HILLER 46 23 15 1 4 2.39 919
G J.S. GIGUERE 46 19 18 6 2 3.1 900

This is just a test...will fix tomorrow

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sure, I'll run the "bracket" pool. Just PM me your picks and I'll do the rest. For each series just send me the winning team and number of games, for example:

MTL4
WAS7
CAR6
PHI5
SJS4
CLU4
CHI7

The picks for round 1 have to be in by 4PM Wednesday. My picks are already in the public domain (in the round 1 threads) but please don't expect me to extract yours from there. That would be a lot of work.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We need more people saying they're in. Come on!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't mind the pick the winner pool

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I wouldn't mind the pick the winner pool

A fun pool I've been involved in before is where each round you pick a player. Each person in the pool can pick the same player as another person, however once that round is over, all players picked are removed from the eligible list.

For instance

Round One Picks

Player A - Crosby
Plyaer B - Ovechkin
Player C - Crosby
Player D - Datsyuk

At this point in round 2 all players are available except for the 3 that are listed above. We normally use secret ballots (folded pieces of paper with the picks on them) so they are all revealed at the same time.

I don't know of a way to do it over the net, except sending in the picks to someone who isn't involved and then they distribute the list of players selected.

Anyway, something to think of when you're sitting down with friends for a pool

DW

15What point system for a fun Playoff Pool here? Empty Prager's Brackets Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, we're up to 9 in the pool (including me). As previously mentioned, I'll accept submissions up until 4PM today. Ah, what the heck, I'll accept anything submitted PPD (pre puck-drop). Just PM me your picks int he following format:

MTL4
WAS7
CAR6
PHI5
SJS4
CLU4
CHI7

See you in the pool.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: