GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reputation system

+15
beerandsens
rooneypoo
Ev
Amnesia021
TheAvatar
asq2
The Silfer Server
wprager
shabbs
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
strachattack
PTFlea
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should we re-instate the Reputation system

Reputation system - Page 4 Vote_lcap240%Reputation system - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 10 ]
Reputation system - Page 4 Vote_lcap260%Reputation system - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 60% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 25

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

46Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:11 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:It's not just that Rooney lost 13 or 14 in a week, it's that some poster was going back to posts from ages ago and minus-ing them. I doubt it's because he or she was taking a trip down memory lane and then found disagreeable posts.

Until the mods can figure out some way to remedy this -- figuring out a way to see who's giving the minuses, or maybe only having a + option -- I'm going with "no" on this poll. Because if what happened to Rooney isn't a problem, I don't see what the point or value of rep is.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, ASQ. It's appreciated. Reputation system - Page 4 85287

47Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

asq3 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:Unless you make the rating system an unlockable (if at all possible). So you unlock the right to + or - someone after you've posted x number of posts. This way dummy accounts cannot be created to sway reputations.

There are of course issues with this, you get back to an elitist mentality. And this could also lend to more fluffing. But even if it does create more fluffing, you could look on the bright side and take it as more traffic on the site.

That seems a little paranoid. Reputation system - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes

Reputation system - Page 4 735732

I'll show you some stuff that will make you re-think how paranoid that assertion is. Reputation system - Page 4 754246

48Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I agree that you should have to add a comment if you give rep, but I don't agree with making it public who gave you each rep point. It should be comment, but still anonymous.

49Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Can someone tell me why SSF has said he's a little fluffer in every thread?

See the post above yours.

50Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

A conditional yes, I like the idea of accountability. If you're not honest enough to post your name and possibly your reasoning for a minus, you shouldn't be allowed to dish one out.

If you implement that, same should go the other way in case of some unwarranted pluses being exchanged by buddies who enjoy the rep system a little too much.

In all, you need to show yourself to have an opinion of a post, in the same way that a member has to leave the safety of anonymity to submit their post in the first place.

And yes, I support a more exclusive, invitation based site as well. That was how GMHockey became the troll free place to be IIRC.

51Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:A conditional yes, I like the idea of accountability. If you're not honest enough to post your name and possibly your reasoning for a minus, you shouldn't be allowed to dish one out.

If you implement that, same should go the other way in case of some unwarranted pluses being exchanged by buddies who enjoy the rep system a little too much.

In all, you need to show yourself to have an opinion of a post, in the same way that a member has to leave the safety of anonymity to submit their post in the first place.

And yes, I support a more exclusive, invitation based site as well. That was how GMHockey became the troll free place to be IIRC.

I 100% agree with everything in this post. Reputation system - Page 4 85287

52Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally feel this system was removed prematurely and with out any evidence that there was a problem with it out side of Rooney suggesting that because he lost 13 or 14 rep points in a week that there must be a problem with it. I haven't received a single PM suggesting there's a problem with it. I haven't seen a single post other than from Rooney suggesting there's a problem with it. The only posts from other members agreeing with Rooney are premised with the fact that IF Rooney's assertion is in fact correct then that is not cool.

I actually have an issue with removing the system based on that and put it to the members. Would you like the reputation system re-instated.

I don't like to post non Hockey polls on the main board but I think this one warrants it. Please vote.

I enjoyed the Reputation system. I don't post very often, but when I did, it was nice to see someone thought highly enough of it to hit the + sign. I think I had 10 points in only 200 posts, which is a pretty good ratio in my mind.

In saying that, the people that run this site do so because they have a passion for the game, so if it was causing a headache, it's not worth it.

I will defer to you now.

53Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

For the record, I voted 'no,' but the option I would have voted for (had it been there) was 'only if it is re-introduced in a more accountable format.'

I have no problem with rep points, just people abusing a flawed system.

54Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm

rooneypoo wrote:For the record, I voted 'no,' but the option I would have voted for (had it been there) was 'only if it is re-introduced in a more accountable format.'

55Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:19 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DirtyDave wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:For the record, I voted 'no,' but the option I would have voted for (had it been there) was 'only if it is re-introduced in a more accountable format.'

Pfft. Two can play this game!

I'm about to go back and add a similar post for 200 random posts of yours, too, so you know how serious I am.

56Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:24 pm

go on... that would take a lot of time.. haha

57Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DirtyDave wrote:go on... that would take a lot of time.. haha

Oh, you'll rue the day! Reputation system - Page 4 555492

58Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

I forgot to vote. I've done that twice now, responded, but forgot to vote. I will do it now, and without better/more options, I will vote to keep the reputation system.

59Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What are you thoughts on a Plus only system? If you don't like the post you can comment on it or report it using the little button shown
here --->Reputation system - Page 4 Icon_report1 if you feel it's inappropriate.

This way you can get a plus for a comment but it eliminates the minus. It still doesn't allow for accountability and it could still be used to falsely inflate someones reputation of course but it's an option. I could ask the people at forumotion but I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll make the necessary changes to allow for more accountability.

I suppose I could set a minimum post number before you're allowed to plus someone but that doesn't seem fair to the regular readers that don't like to or don't feel the need to comment.

- Unknown Author

60Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally feel this system was removed prematurely and with out any evidence that there was a problem with it out side of Rooney suggesting that because he lost 13 or 14 rep points in a week that there must be a problem with it. I haven't received a single PM suggesting there's a problem with it. I haven't seen a single post other than from Rooney suggesting there's a problem with it. The only posts from other members agreeing with Rooney are premised with the fact that IF Rooney's assertion is in fact correct then that is not cool.

I actually have an issue with removing the system based on that and put it to the members. Would you like the reputation system re-instated.

I don't like to post non Hockey polls on the main board but I think this one warrants it. Please vote.

The evidence was there for everyone to see, and count and re-count, right up until the rep system was abolished and the relevant info deleted.

On July 11, I was a plus 17 -- here's the link that proves it: http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-state-of-discussions-at-gmhockey-t4744-40.htm#189906.

Then, if you counted up the pluses and minuses I received from that day until the day in question (this link -- http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-state-of-discussions-at-gmhockey-t4744-280.htm#190854), I was actually a +1, but had lost 13 or 14 points on the week. Those minuses had to come on older posts.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Someone was abusing the system. That is 100% fact.

In addition, N4L found the rat on the site who was in all probability responsible for this stuff, and nothing's being done about it right now. I'm going to talk to SD more about this, tho', so 'nuff said on that for the moment.

Anyway, I think bringing back the rep system will be possible 1) once we get rid of this rat, and 2) once we move to a 'sponsored membership' system or something like that. More needs to be done to protect the system from being abused, that's all. I know that it's not possible, but what's needed is a way in which every + or - a person leaves behind is accompanied by a name or otherwise leaves a trail. That would end all debate.

I disagree. Nothing you've said here makes me think abuse of the system was 100% fact.

You present this as fact when that absolutely is not. He suspects someone based on very poor quality evidence. I certainly can't say he's wrong but there's nothing to prove him right.

- Unknown Author

61Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:48 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Cap 'n is right Dr. Poo... there is certainly the "look and feel" of something going on, but there is no indisputable evidence that I've seen that would support this as "100% fact".

62Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Umm, guys, what Rooney did was fairly simple. The only thing I did not have is his starting points, but there is no reason to suggest he'd be exaggerating them.

From that starting point(s), he went over all of his posts for a week, checking the pluses and minuses on each post -- that's fairly simple to do, actually. And over that time period he was either a +1 or a -1. However his reputation dropped 13-14 points. If the rep points were not taken away from the posts he did over that time period, then they must have been taken away from older posts. That much is 100%.

And, honestly, it's a little difficult to believe that he could lose 14 points from someone catching up reading old stuff. So, maybe not 100%, but I believe the evidence does indicate something not-quite-kosher going on. And, really, is that so difficult to believe? Like Neely, Rooney is making some enemies here but they are not content with just putting him on their foes list. It's immature, to be sure, but very believable that someone could go on a personal crusade to bring his points down, even if they have to wait 25 minutes between minuses and hunt down old posts to do so.

Now, picking up a second account just to do it faster? Maybe a bit less believable, but still possible.

63Reputation system - Page 4 Empty Re: Reputation system Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes, it does indicate something is going on... that is true. Problem is, unless someone comes forth and owns up to the activities, or logs can be obtained to prove Rooney's suggestion, we're left making educated guesses.

At any rate, the important thing is that the owners/mods are attempting to address this issue and ensure it's kept at bay.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum