GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

marakh wrote:What abou that Scott Glennie fella? I dont know much about him.

I think he's a bit of a sleeper because of his injury but he's got game. He's one of the guys I'd look at should we miss out on some of the better players.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:What abou that Scott Glennie fella? I dont know much about him.

Definitely a sleeper, but I suspect that he and Schenn probably help(ed) each-other out in the stats department.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
marakh wrote:Nice stats for sure (if he had played as many games as Schenn he may have 80-ish now), Decent size also.

I definitely wouldn't bash Murray for picking this guy, but it all depends on where we fall in the spectrum of things, there are so many juicy choices in this draft, Murray really has a tough choice to make, but you know anything below # 3, you scratch Tavares, Hedman, and most likely Duchene off your wish list.

Think one or two teams will want a Defenseman. I'm thinking Tampa Bay, for instance. So may be a Cowen or a Larsson will go before Schenn and Kane. So if we are 6th or 7th, may be Pajaarvi will still be there cheers

IMO the highest OEL should go is 10. Cowen will also likely fall because of his injury.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
marakh wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
marakh wrote:Nice stats for sure (if he had played as many games as Schenn he may have 80-ish now), Decent size also.

I definitely wouldn't bash Murray for picking this guy, but it all depends on where we fall in the spectrum of things, there are so many juicy choices in this draft, Murray really has a tough choice to make, but you know anything below # 3, you scratch Tavares, Hedman, and most likely Duchene off your wish list.

Think one or two teams will want a Defenseman. I'm thinking Tampa Bay, for instance. So may be a Cowen or a Larsson will go before Schenn and Kane. So if we are 6th or 7th, may be Pajaarvi will still be there cheers

IMO the highest OEL should go is 10. Cowen will also likely fall because of his injury.

how serious is the injury? Sometimes stuff like that can only help a team nab a real steal in the draft, point in check, our best forward ever, Alfie, dropped really far down the rankings and we definitely have our best steal of a draft pick in franchise history.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Some suggest it could have permanent effects on him. At the very least, it'll probably be a fairly long road to recovery, 18 months or so.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Some suggest it could have permanent effects on him. At the very least, it'll probably be a fairly long road to recovery, 18 months or so.

ouch, if that is the case then, he will definitely drop far down the list, probably towards the latter part of rd 1.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
asq2 wrote:Some suggest it could have permanent effects on him. At the very least, it'll probably be a fairly long road to recovery, 18 months or so.

ouch, if that is the case then, he will definitely drop far down the list, probably towards the latter part of rd 1.

If permanent damage is the case, he'll drop to mid-first round.

But a lot of other players have had very serious injuries and not fallen, or have gotten them just after being drafted and re-bounded well. Pietrangelo was injured before his draft and only fell one spot to #4. Robyn Regehr broke both his legs I believe after being drafted and is now one of the premier defensive defencemen in the league.

When I say 18 months, I should clarify in that he'll probably be able to play next season, but will have nagging effects for that time frame. That's probably slightly optimistic though.

It'll stall him a year in his development for sure, but I think people are fooling themselves when they take a recent draft pick and then put them in their mock line-ups at 18 years old. Kids like Kane and Crosby have spoiled us. Most prospects need more time before coming into the NHL.

One typically drafts for the longer term. In that context, taking Cowen is fine, especially since his defensive game is already so highly developed.

But it all depends on the extent of that injury. If we're picking around the 7 slot and are confident that Cowen will make a full recovery, then I'd take him.

Cowen - Karlsson would be an awesome pairing.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

But a lot of other players have had very serious injuries and not fallen, or have gotten them just after being drafted and re-bounded well. Pietrangelo was injured before his draft and only fell one spot to #4. Robyn Regehr broke both his legs I believe after being drafted and is now one of the premier defensive defencemen in the league.

When I say 18 months, I should clarify in that he'll probably be able to play next season, but will have nagging effects for that time frame. That's probably slightly optimistic though.

It'll stall him a year in his development for sure, but I think people are fooling themselves when they take a recent draft pick and then put them in their mock line-ups at 18 years old. Kids like Kane and Crosby have spoiled us. Most prospects need more time before coming into the NHL.

One typically drafts for the longer term. In that context, taking Cowen is fine, especially since his defensive game is already so highly developed.

But it all depends on the extent of that injury. If we're picking around the 7 slot and are confident that Cowen will make a full recovery, then I'd take him.

Cowen Karlsson as the top two, then insert some d partner with Wiercioch and we have a solid top 4 for a few years to come. Things are getting exciting again in Senators land.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cowen, Karlsson, Wiercioch, Volchenkov, Campoli, Lee, Picard, Mattias Karlsson.

Our D would be very solid for the future.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Cowen, Karlsson, Wiercioch, Volchenkov, Campoli, Lee, Picard, Mattias Karlsson.

Our D would be very solid for the future.

could possibly dangle a couple of those spare parts (am focusing on Lee and Picard the most as they are the most useless of the above names) to bring in some more forward depth.

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

The kid is 18, very few young guys have those kinds of injuries and dont come back. Look no further than Marian Hossa. Its a lot easier to recover at 18 then it is at 30.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

He could be still growing though. I've read that could cause some complications.

I can't feign understanding of his injury situation, I can only go by what I read and the opinions of others. And many feel this injury could have long-term effects.

asq2 wrote:He could be still growing though. I've read that could cause some complications.

I can't feign understanding of his injury situation, I can only go by what I read and the opinions of others. And many feel this injury could have long-term effects.

Ive had a couple friends with similar injuries, and the fact that they are still growing has actually helped in the recovery. Basically the same level of hockey as well and have come back strong.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was reading some article I found on google, trying to find out about his injury, and got some contradicting info...

http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/columnists/story.html?id=f91bedac-d67b-4c6f-958e-c5a056d485b0

"Allan product Jared Cowen had reconstructive knee surgery in Minneapolis, Minn., last week. The Spokane Chiefs' hulking, draft-eligible defenceman suffered a season-ending injury Jan. 30 versus Chilliwack. . . ."

then...

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3778475

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH at SEATTLE THUNDERBIRDS AIR-7:00 GAME-7:30

Spokane and Seattle will play in a home-and-home series next week with the first game taking place on Wednesday, February 18th in the Spokane Arena. The Chiefs will travel to Kent on Friday night. In their last meeting, Drayson Bowman scored two goals, including an empty net goal with five seconds remaining, on January 23rd in a 3-1 Spokane win in Seattle. Dustin Tokarski stopped 28 shots and the Chiefs were 3-3 on the penalty kill. On December 28th the Chiefs earned a 4-0 win as James Reid stopped 25 shots and four different players, Trevor Glass, Kenton Miller, Stefan Ulmer and Jared Spurgeon, all scored for Spokane. Spokane was 3-5 on the power play. In their previous trip to Seattle, Spokane dropped a 3-2 shootout decision on October 4th. Drayson Bowman scored both of Spokane's goals. The Chiefs and Seattle split two games on back-to-back nights in the Arena with the Chiefs winning 1-0 on December 12th and dropping a 3-1 decision on the 13th. James Reid made 26 saves in the 1-0 win for his second shutout of the season. Jared Cowen scored the games only goal, on the power play, at 13:30 of the first period. Spokane outshot Seattle 36-16 on the 13th but the Thunderbirds scored twice in the first and again in the third for the win. The Chiefs and Seattle will play nine times, four times in the Spokane Arena and five times in Seattle. The home-and-home series will be the last two meetings between the two. The two played a 9-7 game, won by Seattle, on February 11th of last year.

Odd that they say he suffered season-ending injury Jan. 30, yet he played Feb. 20, a day after supposedly having surgery?

So, as I understand, he suffered a knee injury that required surgery, ending his WHL season. There's s good chance he makes a full recovery, isn't there? I have witnessed careers ending at such a young age due to knee and head injuries.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^I don't know.

All I can say is, if Cowen can make a full recovery he'd be a d@mn fine addition to this team or any other. Definitely a guy you can build your defence around.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:^I don't know.

All I can say is, if Cowen can make a full recovery he'd be a d@mn fine addition to this team or any other. Definitely a guy you can build your defence around.

this is definitely something Murray is definitely considering, because our D is laughable some nights.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I often think back to the glory days of Redden and Chara on the blue-line.

Karlsson and Cowen have the potential to bring back those memories.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:I often think back to the glory days of Redden and Chara on the blue-line.

Karlsson and Cowen have the potential to bring back those memories.

Most definetly. But do you take a chance on Cowen? I feel he migth be taken lower because of his injury.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum