GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Despres is a pretty good two-way guy. If we were to fall to the 10-12 range, I would look strongly at taking him. I agree, though, it'd be nice if we could grab someone like that on top of the pick we currently have.

As for Hedman, I know a lot of people aren't sold on him because of the WJHC, where he was recovering from an injury. But he's excelled in a very difficult SEL. I don't think he's much of a risk.

I haven't been sold on Hedman even before the WJHC regardless if he plays in a difficult SEL. I hope Murray can get another 1st rounder by the draft which he might be able to depending on if he moves the right contract to free up cash. I really did like the recent write up on Nick Folingo and his brother who is available this year and project to go in the 2nd. The article made it sound like he could be a Murray type player.

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:
asq2 wrote:Despres is a pretty good two-way guy. If we were to fall to the 10-12 range, I would look strongly at taking him. I agree, though, it'd be nice if we could grab someone like that on top of the pick we currently have.

As for Hedman, I know a lot of people aren't sold on him because of the WJHC, where he was recovering from an injury. But he's excelled in a very difficult SEL. I don't think he's much of a risk.

I haven't been sold on Hedman even before the WJHC regardless if he plays in a difficult SEL. I hope Murray can get another 1st rounder by the draft which he might be able to depending on if he moves the right contract to free up cash. I really did like the recent write up on Nick Folingo and his brother who is available this year and project to go in the 2nd. The article made it sound like he could be a Murray type player.

Really another Foligno. Sound's good to me!

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

3 concussions at his age and he's not in the NHL yet is definitely a cause of concern IMHO.

But, does the risk outweigh the potential payoff? That's a decision I wouldn't want to have to make.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:

3 concussions at his age and he's not in the NHL yet is definitely a cause of concern IMHO.

But, does the risk outweigh the potential payoff? That's a decision I wouldn't want to have to make.

I wouldn't risk that with 3 concussions, and the guys hit harder in the nhl, so another concussion could come shortly after, the talent is there, but wow, concussions can have a nasty effect on a player, he might get a bit gun shy and well, since it's a brain injury, you have to be concerned of long term effect.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

asq is convincing me to like Cowen. I see the potential now that you've mentioned it and the upside he really has. If we get him then that would be awesome. He could be the next Shea Weber.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I confess I know very little about the currrent crop of draftees, other than the two obvious ones, Hedman and Tavares.

I look forward to seeing a) what position do we draft in, and b) who do we draft.

I will be alot more likely to read up on the player we do take, rather than the top 10

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

But top-ten is where we will most likely be drafting. We're not getting into the top-five the way we've been playing unless we trade up, which is not likely. We're currently in 6th, but when TSN's draft lookahead first started (what, 2 weeks ago?) we were 4th. In the next couple of weeks we are likely to catch either LA (they play Nashville twice, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas twice) or Toronto (who play 2 fewer games the rest of this month). And it's not like our competition is fierce: Sabres, Habs, Isles, Rangers, Canes, Thrashers, Bolts and Panthers. I honestly dont' see how we could not win 5 of those games and get at least one loser point. We're surely going to slip to 7th, if not 8th, by the time April is here. Hell, after the next 8 games, who knows, maybe the "C" word will raise its ugly head again.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pardon me for being an idiot, but what exactly is the "C" referencing? I assume it's not Cancer, nor is it the word most men fear (i.e. COMMITTMENT) or the UGLY 4 letter word for the female genitelia...

LOL
Cinderella?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:But top-ten is where we will most likely be drafting. We're not getting into the top-five the way we've been playing unless we trade up, which is not likely. We're currently in 6th, but when TSN's draft lookahead first started (what, 2 weeks ago?) we were 4th. In the next couple of weeks we are likely to catch either LA (they play Nashville twice, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas twice) or Toronto (who play 2 fewer games the rest of this month). And it's not like our competition is fierce: Sabres, Habs, Isles, Rangers, Canes, Thrashers, Bolts and Panthers. I honestly dont' see how we could not win 5 of those games and get at least one loser point. We're surely going to slip to 7th, if not 8th, by the time April is here. Hell, after the next 8 games, who knows, maybe the "C" word will raise its ugly head again.

Frustrated2 :@@@@: Frustrated1

Why do we have to turn it around now?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's a two-word phrase, with "Back" as the second word. The first word is, naturally, has four letters Smile

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ahhh! I got it. LOL

And I'm promptly off to my cafeteria to snag more caffeine.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:But top-ten is where we will most likely be drafting. We're not getting into the top-five the way we've been playing unless we trade up, which is not likely. We're currently in 6th, but when TSN's draft lookahead first started (what, 2 weeks ago?) we were 4th. In the next couple of weeks we are likely to catch either LA (they play Nashville twice, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas twice) or Toronto (who play 2 fewer games the rest of this month). And it's not like our competition is fierce: Sabres, Habs, Isles, Rangers, Canes, Thrashers, Bolts and Panthers. I honestly dont' see how we could not win 5 of those games and get at least one loser point. We're surely going to slip to 7th, if not 8th, by the time April is here. Hell, after the next 8 games, who knows, maybe the "C" word will raise its ugly head again.

Frustrated2 :@@@@: Frustrated1

Why do we have to turn it around now?

just to ruin our chances of getting duchene or cowen, ugh, i bet we beat Buffalo tomorrow too, we always have their number this season.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:There's...16 games left I believe for the Sens, they currently sit with 64 points. Where do they realistically end up on draft day? Where do they select?

Clouston is doing a great job, but can he sustain it down the final stretch? And if so, can we fall right out of the top 10?

It's really hard to say, good question.

I am going to go ahead and say that we DO NOT fall out of the top 10. Regardless of how we play the rest of the way, I think we've dug ourselves a big enough hole to not fall out of the top 10. With the way games have been going of late, with Atlanta winning some games and the Islanders and the other teams in the bottom 6 winning (some of them anyway) and us winning, it's not changing much in the standings...everyone is pretty much staying put. I don't think we've budged from 12th place even during our 4 game winning streak.

We're definitely good for a top 10 pick, IMO.

All of the bottom 4 in the east are on winning streaks and not budging from their positions, with the exception possibly of Atlanta (i can't remember where they were 1 week ago)

In the West the bottom 4 are on losing streaks. (BTW, I think Phoenix are tanking on purpose too, smart move)

I think the closest we get to moving positions is by overtaking Toronto's spot in 11th. Even then, I don't think it'll happen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:asq is convincing me to like Cowen. I see the potential now that you've mentioned it and the upside he really has. If we get him then that would be awesome. He could be the next Shea Weber.

Me too. Not Weber though...much less offense...like a J-Bo light (my favourite comparison these days).

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I think the top pick is out of the question but the 2nd is still realistic if we go on a loosing streak and the balls bounce in our favor.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
Urkie wrote:asq is convincing me to like Cowen. I see the potential now that you've mentioned it and the upside he really has. If we get him then that would be awesome. He could be the next Shea Weber.

Me too. Not Weber though...much less offense...like a J-Bo light (my favourite comparison these days).

He looks to be stronger defensively than JayBo.

EDIT: Plus, he's a Memorial Cup Champion. JayBo never even made the playoffs in Junior.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of Hotlanta, they're on a 5 game winning streak and up 4-zip on the Caps (3 PP goals).

We're 3 points ahead of the Leafs but with two games in hand. We play 2 more games than they do in March. We are very likely going to slip behind them (both teams are 6-3-1 in their last 10).

LA is just 2 points behind and playing below-.500. I would be very surprised if we don't slip behind them as well.

So at the end of this month I expect us to be 8th with, what, six games to go? Depending on what the Ducks and Wild are doing during this time, who knows. About the only thing we can count on is a lottery spot. And even there ...

SensGirl11 wrote:
504Heater wrote:There's...16 games left I believe for the Sens, they currently sit with 64 points. Where do they realistically end up on draft day? Where do they select?

Clouston is doing a great job, but can he sustain it down the final stretch? And if so, can we fall right out of the top 10?

It's really hard to say, good question.

I am going to go ahead and say that we DO NOT fall out of the top 10. Regardless of how we play the rest of the way, I think we've dug ourselves a big enough hole to not fall out of the top 10. With the way games have been going of late, with Atlanta winning some games and the Islanders and the other teams in the bottom 6 winning (some of them anyway) and us winning, it's not changing much in the standings...everyone is pretty much staying put. I don't think we've budged from 12th place even during our 4 game winning streak.

We're definitely good for a top 10 pick, IMO.

All of the bottom 4 in the east are on winning streaks and not budging from their positions, with the exception possibly of Atlanta (i can't remember where they were 1 week ago)

In the West the bottom 4 are on losing streaks. (BTW, I think Phoenix are tanking on purpose too, smart move)

I think the closest we get to moving positions is by overtaking Toronto's spot in 11th. Even then, I don't think it'll happen.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:

Weber wasn't always a stud offensively though. That's part of the reason he didn't go in the first round during his draft year. It came too him from just playing more and more. I think that the same could happen with Cowen and the fact that he was a key factor in Spokane's Memorial Cup win is huge. Winning in junior is a big deal imo and the way he played showed that he has some serious heart and leadership ability. He could turn into the next Chara almost because he's already 6'5" at 18.

I think it was asq that brought it up but say we did draft Cowen. That would give us Cowen and Karlsson to man the point for over a decade. That could easily turn into what we had before in Chara and Redden only it could be better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum