GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
Urkie wrote:asq is convincing me to like Cowen. I see the potential now that you've mentioned it and the upside he really has. If we get him then that would be awesome. He could be the next Shea Weber.

Me too. Not Weber though...much less offense...like a J-Bo light (my favourite comparison these days).

He looks to be stronger defensively than JayBo.

EDIT: Plus, he's a Memorial Cup Champion. JayBo never even made the playoffs in Junior.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of Hotlanta, they're on a 5 game winning streak and up 4-zip on the Caps (3 PP goals).

We're 3 points ahead of the Leafs but with two games in hand. We play 2 more games than they do in March. We are very likely going to slip behind them (both teams are 6-3-1 in their last 10).

LA is just 2 points behind and playing below-.500. I would be very surprised if we don't slip behind them as well.

So at the end of this month I expect us to be 8th with, what, six games to go? Depending on what the Ducks and Wild are doing during this time, who knows. About the only thing we can count on is a lottery spot. And even there ...

SensGirl11 wrote:
504Heater wrote:There's...16 games left I believe for the Sens, they currently sit with 64 points. Where do they realistically end up on draft day? Where do they select?

Clouston is doing a great job, but can he sustain it down the final stretch? And if so, can we fall right out of the top 10?

It's really hard to say, good question.

I am going to go ahead and say that we DO NOT fall out of the top 10. Regardless of how we play the rest of the way, I think we've dug ourselves a big enough hole to not fall out of the top 10. With the way games have been going of late, with Atlanta winning some games and the Islanders and the other teams in the bottom 6 winning (some of them anyway) and us winning, it's not changing much in the standings...everyone is pretty much staying put. I don't think we've budged from 12th place even during our 4 game winning streak.

We're definitely good for a top 10 pick, IMO.

All of the bottom 4 in the east are on winning streaks and not budging from their positions, with the exception possibly of Atlanta (i can't remember where they were 1 week ago)

In the West the bottom 4 are on losing streaks. (BTW, I think Phoenix are tanking on purpose too, smart move)

I think the closest we get to moving positions is by overtaking Toronto's spot in 11th. Even then, I don't think it'll happen.

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:
Urkie wrote:asq is convincing me to like Cowen. I see the potential now that you've mentioned it and the upside he really has. If we get him then that would be awesome. He could be the next Shea Weber.

Me too. Not Weber though...much less offense...like a J-Bo light (my favourite comparison these days).

Weber wasn't always a stud offensively though. That's part of the reason he didn't go in the first round during his draft year. It came too him from just playing more and more. I think that the same could happen with Cowen and the fact that he was a key factor in Spokane's Memorial Cup win is huge. Winning in junior is a big deal imo and the way he played showed that he has some serious heart and leadership ability. He could turn into the next Chara almost because he's already 6'5" at 18.

I think it was asq that brought it up but say we did draft Cowen. That would give us Cowen and Karlsson to man the point for over a decade. That could easily turn into what we had before in Chara and Redden only it could be better.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Weber had 18 points in 70 games the year he was drafted, in the WHL. Just saying ^^.
Cowen, in the same league, has 21 points in 48 games. Even Phaneuf had only 30 points that year. HE had 60 last year Suspect

I still think Defensemen are about development more than drafting. Both Phaneuf and Weber spent 2 more years in the WHL before going pro.

Last edited by marakh on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:

He looks to be stronger defensively than JayBo.

EDIT: Plus, he's a Memorial Cup Champion. JayBo never even made the playoffs in Junior.

Isn't there something to J-Bo not winning with Medicine Hat? I think as soon as he started to own that league he was drafted and immediately placed in the NHL. I think...Medicine Hat ended up winning the year he played NHL hockey.

But then, I could have it all wrong. I don't really follow juniors that closely.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:Weber wasn't always a stud offensively though. That's part of the reason he didn't go in the first round during his draft year. It came too him from just playing more and more. I think that the same could happen with Cowen and the fact that he was a key factor in Spokane's Memorial Cup win is huge. Winning in junior is a big deal imo and the way he played showed that he has some serious heart and leadership ability. He could turn into the next Chara almost because he's already 6'5" at 18.

I think it was asq that brought it up but say we did draft Cowen. That would give us Cowen and Karlsson to man the point for over a decade. That could easily turn into what we had before in Chara and Redden only it could be better.

I definitely can't argue with that! FingersCrossed

I think we have a small chance of that happening with Karlsson and Wiercioch - but we can just hope...adding in Cowen would give you 3 very nice D prospects. Wow. Not to mention we have our 2nd round pick which should be pretty high - and Columbus' which should be in the 45 range. Good things can happen potentially. Smile

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I won't lie, I'm a little nervous about our position, although, I can't be a part of Tank Nation. I'm just too competitive.

If we end up Top 7, I'm good, if we end up 7-10 and Schroeder's around, I'm good. Falling any lower (with no disrespect to the prospects) really is a sharp downturn in talent from what I've read.

I'm willing to put in a few more prospect names though. If we're falling, we might as well start looking to what could be in our range.

Glennie
Ekman-Larsson
Kadri
Kulikov
Schroeder
Ellis
Despres

This is a Schroeder, Ellis, Kadri pick in that range, correct?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I dont see why it would be such a bad thing to go something like 10-12, Cody Hodgson got picked 10th and he wasnt even ranked higher than that by the scouts IIRC. how do we know a guy like Kassian or a dude like Glennie aren't the next getzlafes? Why are Parise, Getzlaf and Richards better than Michalek, Zherdev and Kostytsin?

Top 10 pick is nice, not the beginnign and end of the world.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:I dont see why it would be such a bad thing to go something like 10-12, Cody Hodgson got picked 10th and he wasnt even ranked higher than that by the scouts IIRC. how do we know a guy like Kassian or a dude like Glennie aren't the next getzlafes? Why are Parise, Getzlaf and Richards better than Michalek, Zherdev and Kostytsin?

Top 10 pick is nice, not the beginnign and end of the world.

Murray's a great drafter - and I agree, it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd like to give our scouting staff an easy decision. Wink

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Weber had 18 points in 70 games the year he was drafted, in the WHL. Just saying ^^.
Cowen, in the same league, has 21 points in 48 games. Even Phaneuf had only 30 points that year. HE had 60 last year Suspect

I still think Defensemen are about development more than drafting. Both Phaneuf and Weber spent 2 more years in the WHL before going pro.

a lot can be said about rushing prospects, say, Luke Schenn, Toronto has him up in the big show now, and it seems he is doing alright, but something can be said for pushing an 18 year old too soon. The WHL is a good league to develop into a tougher defensemen too, and this is just coming from hearsay on my part, the Q is more skill, same with the OHL, but the WHL is were the tougher players come out of.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

SensFan71 wrote:a lot can be said about rushing prospects, say, Luke Schenn, Toronto has him up in the big show now, and it seems he is doing alright, but something can be said for pushing an 18 year old too soon. The WHL is a good league to develop into a tougher defensemen too, and this is just coming from hearsay on my part, the Q is more skill, same with the OHL, but the WHL is were the tougher players come out of.

I don't know if Luke Schenn will ever develop an offensive game now. I personally think he needed another year or 2 to be fully ready. You have to give defensemen time to develop. Especially since it's not like Toronto needed him this year anyway. They have plenty of time to develop players and try and rebuild.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Urkie wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:a lot can be said about rushing prospects, say, Luke Schenn, Toronto has him up in the big show now, and it seems he is doing alright, but something can be said for pushing an 18 year old too soon. The WHL is a good league to develop into a tougher defensemen too, and this is just coming from hearsay on my part, the Q is more skill, same with the OHL, but the WHL is were the tougher players come out of.

I don't know if Luke Schenn will ever develop an offensive game now. I personally think he needed another year or 2 to be fully ready. You have to give defensemen time to develop. Especially since it's not like Toronto needed him this year anyway. They have plenty of time to develop players and try and rebuild.

That is what I fear for them honestly, this year was a lost cause, they all admitted it, so why not let Schenn tear it up in the AHL or his junior team, build his confidence a bit? I dunno, it just doesn't seem right to do that. I hope for Toronto's sake they have ruined him, but for Schenn's sake because he's a good kid, they haven't ruined him.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think they have. Schenn was NHL-ready. I'm not sure he was eligible for the AHL, and he didn't have anything more to learn in the WHL.

I think he's gaining valuable experience. Most of us are probably just hoping he's ruined as anti-Leaf fans. You don't see many people criticizing the Kings for keeping Doughty in the NHL.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

I think we better start looking at players like Schroeder, Glennie, OEL and Kulikov. The team is playing too well to finish below 7th.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

well the rankings below are per tsn, but am seriously doubting that MPS is around at # 6 or 7, but if he was, am hoping that BM would pick him over Cowen, just my opinion though.

Ottawa Senators
706.2D Jared Cowen
Los Angeles Kings
704.7LW Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi
Toronto Maple Leafs
712.7C Scott Glennie
St. Louis Blues
733.6C Nazem Kadri
Dallas Stars
742.1D Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Anaheim Ducks
741.5D Dmitri Kulikov