GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:^I don't know.

All I can say is, if Cowen can make a full recovery he'd be a d@mn fine addition to this team or any other. Definitely a guy you can build your defence around.

this is definitely something Murray is definitely considering, because our D is laughable some nights.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

I often think back to the glory days of Redden and Chara on the blue-line.

Karlsson and Cowen have the potential to bring back those memories.

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:I often think back to the glory days of Redden and Chara on the blue-line.

Most definetly. But do you take a chance on Cowen? I feel he migth be taken lower because of his injury.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:
asq2 wrote:I often think back to the glory days of Redden and Chara on the blue-line.

Most definetly. But do you take a chance on Cowen? I feel he migth be taken lower because of his injury.

If Murray was picking around the middle of the draft, say like he was last year when he nabbed Karlsson, then yes, you would take that chance on Cowen, but say with # 6, I would pick a player with less question marks or better yet, no question marks.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:

If Murray was picking around the middle of the draft, say like he was last year when he nabbed Karlsson, then yes, you would take that chance on Cowen, but say with # 6, I would pick a player with less question marks or better yet, no question marks.

That's what I was thinking also. He is a great talent but I would rather go with the healthier guy. He migth be a force in the future and make us regret that pick but I am sure we will have a sweet consolidation prize.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:

Cowen most likely won't be available at #15. When healthy, he's the #4 prospect in the draft. Pietrangelo was injured last season and still went #4 over-all.

At #6, I wouldn't take him because another member of what I think is the elite group of this draft class would be available.

At 7, I would strongly consider it, depending on the medical opinion given. I think there's a somewhat sizeable drop-off from Cowen to Glennie, Kadri, Josefson, Schroeder etc.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:

Cowen most likely won't be available at #15. When healthy, he's the #4 prospect in the draft. Pietrangelo was injured last season and still went #4 over-all.

At #6, I wouldn't take him because another member of what I think is the elite group of this draft class would be available.

At 7, I would strongly consider it, depending on the medical opinion given. I think there's a somewhat sizeable drop-off from Cowen to Glennie, Kadri, Josefson, Schroeder etc.

I am certainly hoping that Murray is either thinking the same you are or is reading your notes, you have this figured out to a "T". Want to be a scout or assistant GM of the team? lol.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Murray's proven to be a dang good drafter anyway. I think he'll make the right decision, even if it wouldn't be the same as mine.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Murray's proven to be a dang good drafter anyway. I think he'll make the right decision, even if it wouldn't be the same as mine.

he definitely hasn't disappointed in the past, or did he draft Brian Lee? Muckler made some questionable choices, but any GM makes mistakes.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Muckler drafted Lee. Murray drafted O'Brien, but he had almost no time to prepare for the '07 draft, and it's too early to pass judgment on that choice anyway.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cowen would be a nice addition but does anyone know anything about Despres.

Based on his size and stats he could be a good addition and a dark horse. His stats through 2/11: 54 GP, 2 G, 25 PTS

Cowen Stats through 2/11: 48 GP, 7 G, 21 PTS.

Hedmans Stats through 2/11: 35 GP, 5 G, 18 PTS

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:Cowen would be a nice addition but does anyone know anything about Despres.

Based on his size and stats he could be a good addition and a dark horse. His stats through 2/11: 54 GP, 2 G, 25 PTS

Keep in mind:
Hedman is playing in the Swedish Elite League, not a Junior League. Also, Hedman's +/- was one of the best of any defencemen. Hedman in the QMJHL would probably have 70 points right now.
Cowen is more known for his insane defence, suffers from a bad injury and only now is developing his offensive game.

I agree, though, Despres is a good player. But I wouldn't take him from where we sit now.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Muckler drafted Lee. Murray drafted O'Brien, but he had almost no time to prepare for the '07 draft, and it's too early to pass judgment on that choice anyway.

figured Lee was a Muckler mistake, O'Brien, yeah, you are right, too early to tell, but the names we talk about the most, Foligno, Regin, Shannon, Weircioch, they were all brought here by Murray.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:Cowen would be a nice addition but does anyone know anything about Despres.

Keep in mind:
Hedman is playing in the Swedish Elite League, not a Junior League. Also, Hedman's +/- was one of the best of any defencemen. Hedman in the QMJHL would probably have 70 points right now.
Cowen is more known for his insane defence, suffers from a bad injury and only now is developing his offensive game.

I agree, though, Despres is a good player. But I wouldn't take him from where we sit now.

Thanks, I know what both Hedman and Cowen bring to the table. I just don't know much about Despres.

I am not sold on Hedman and do like Cowen but I am little concerned about his injury. If we keep playing the way we are we will be out of the hedman sweeps anyways. If Despres plays a combined aggressive style defence with a decent offensive style game I'd be inclined to look at him as well. Really can't wait to see what these guys bring when the show up at the combine.

Hopefully Murray makes a player move at the draft to acquire a mid 1st rounder then we could draft both a solid forward and D-man with our picks.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Despres is a pretty good two-way guy. If we were to fall to the 10-12 range, I would look strongly at taking him. I agree, though, it'd be nice if we could grab someone like that on top of the pick we currently have.

As for Hedman, I know a lot of people aren't sold on him because of the WJHC, where he was recovering from an injury. But he's excelled in a very difficult SEL. I don't think he's much of a risk.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Despres is a pretty good two-way guy. If we were to fall to the 10-12 range, I would look strongly at taking him. I agree, though, it'd be nice if we could grab someone like that on top of the pick we currently have.

As for Hedman, I know a lot of people aren't sold on him because of the WJHC, where he was recovering from an injury. But he's excelled in a very difficult SEL. I don't think he's much of a risk.

I haven't been sold on Hedman even before the WJHC regardless if he plays in a difficult SEL. I hope Murray can get another 1st rounder by the draft which he might be able to depending on if he moves the right contract to free up cash. I really did like the recent write up on Nick Folingo and his brother who is available this year and project to go in the 2nd. The article made it sound like he could be a Murray type player.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:
asq2 wrote:Despres is a pretty good two-way guy. If we were to fall to the 10-12 range, I would look strongly at taking him. I agree, though, it'd be nice if we could grab someone like that on top of the pick we currently have.

I haven't been sold on Hedman even before the WJHC regardless if he plays in a difficult SEL. I hope Murray can get another 1st rounder by the draft which he might be able to depending on if he moves the right contract to free up cash. I really did like the recent write up on Nick Folingo and his brother who is available this year and project to go in the 2nd. The article made it sound like he could be a Murray type player.

Really another Foligno. Sound's good to me!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

3 concussions at his age and he's not in the NHL yet is definitely a cause of concern IMHO.

But, does the risk outweigh the potential payoff? That's a decision I wouldn't want to have to make.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum