GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Might Drop Back in Draft

+2
PTFlea
SensGirl11
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:21 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

LOS ANGELES — The Senators have a better chance of moving back in the first round of the NHL draft than forward.
Assistant GM Tim Murray admitted Wednesday it’s tough to move up from the No. 16 position.

Instead, the Senators might be able to acquire a draft pick in the second round if they agree to move back a few spots. That decision won’t be made until they get to the table Friday night.

“It usually takes a second-round pick to sweeten the pot to move up. We don’t have one because we used our two for good assets,” said Murray.

“It might make sense for us to move down, especially if we think we can get two or three of the players we want later on in the draft. The only other way to move up would be our No. 1 pick and a young player off our roster. That would be tough, but would depend on who was available.”

No buyout yet

The Senators haven’t exercised their option to buy out RW Jonathan Cheechoo. Before making the move, the Senators are trying to deal his rights elsewhere. Maybe another team would take on Cheechoo’s $3.25-million contract and buy him out if the Senators agree to take a larger deal back.

Offers sent

The Senators have extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Peter Regin, Nick Foligno, Jesse Winchester and Chris Campoli. There’s a lot of posturing going in Regin’s camp, but he’ll likely be signed or get a two-year deal done at arbitration.

2Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

So Regin does have arbitration rights? Sens Might Drop Back in Draft 427259

3Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:So Regin does have arbitration rights? Sens Might Drop Back in Draft 427259

Not sure that's a great thing, except for the fact that statistically he didn't light it up.

But they'll bring it highlight packs of him and try to make the arbitrator believe that his upside is enormous. I could see us overpaying - to the tune of 2 million a year - if this goes to arb.

4Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:So Regin does have arbitration rights? Sens Might Drop Back in Draft 427259

Not sure that's a great thing, except for the fact that statistically he didn't light it up.

But they'll bring it highlight packs of him and try to make the arbitrator believe that his upside is enormous. I could see us overpaying - to the tune of 2 million a year - if this goes to arb.

Would an arbitrator really overpay that much? He can see the stats and see that 29 pts does not garner whatever Regin is requesting. I have a feeling the sens just want to avoid the tension the arbitration could cause and overpay for Regin a day or two before arbitration. I remember this happened with Emery on the morning of.

5Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 am

Ya, this isnt a shock in the least.

6Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Would an arbitrator really overpay that much? He can see the stats and see that 29 pts does not garner whatever Regin is requesting. I have a feeling the sens just want to avoid the tension the arbitration could cause and overpay for Regin a day or two before arbitration. I remember this happened with Emery on the morning of.

And Vermette too. I don't know if they would award him anything over 1.2, I surely wouldn't as an arb., but man there's always the possibility that they look at his numbers at the end of the season + the playoffs, then factor in his age and say that he's worth more than the 1.2 they want to pay him.

I don't know, it's a tricky business this arbitration. And as you say, it can be very nasty (although Regin's a stud, so we'd just say he hasn't proven a thing yet).

7Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

moving up a roster player plus the pick? well i'm all for putting Lee out there.... what about cheechoo? hey i'm a nice guy, i'll even put in shannon Wink

8Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

And Vermette too. I don't know if they would award him anything over 1.2, I surely wouldn't as an arb., but man there's always the possibility that they look at his numbers at the end of the season + the playoffs, then factor in his age and say that he's worth more than the 1.2 they want to pay him.

I don't know, it's a tricky business this arbitration. And as you say, it can be very nasty (although Regin's a stud, so we'd just say he hasn't proven a thing yet).

I remember relations being somewhat unpleasant between Marshall Johnston and Alfredsson back in 2001 after the yashin trade. Thigns were said that Alfie didn't appreciate during the arbitration. That's when Alfie was inked only to a one year deal. I will say this though abut John Muckler, I certainly consider him a big reason as to why Alfredsson finally settled into a more comfort zone in Ottawa. Mucks signed him multi-year the summer after.

Last edited by Michallica on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

9Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

do we know it's 1.2 they are offereing for sure? maybe murray is low-balling at 900 K?

10Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

Really? You think it could get that high? I was thinking more like 1.5 - 1.75 at the very most x2.

11Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:do we know it's 1.2 they are offereing for sure? maybe murray is low-balling at 900 K?

The 1.2 is 100% purely speculation on my part. That's what I think Regin's worth X 2 years personally. Not a penny more, maybe less like you speculate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Regin, but he's done very little to prove himself as a bonafide NHLer yet.

12Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
Really? You think it could get that high? I was thinking more like 1.5 - 1.75 at the very most x2.

I actually don't think it'll get to arbitration, but I think it could hurt us a bit if it does. I think your numbers are right, he'd be awarded 1.5.

13Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 am

If it goes to arbitration, Regin is going to get hammered. Literally, the guy has 30 points to his name in The NHL during 90 some odd games... Ryan Shannon got that.

If Regin was smart he would sign a one year deal woth about 1.2 and try and improve on his playoffs. I think that's what it would come down to.

14Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:03 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:If it goes to arbitration, Regin is going to get hammered. Literally, the guy has 30 points to his name in The NHL during 90 some odd games... Ryan Shannon got that.

If Regin was smart he would sign a one year deal woth about 1.2 and try and improve on his playoffs. I think that's what it would come down to.

I think that's what happens as well personally. Too much risk on both sides going to arbitration. You could get a bleeding heart who thinks Regin is the next Zetterberg and gives him a 2 million X 3 years. Too much uncertainty and too much bad blood after those hearings.

15Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Empty Re: Sens Might Drop Back in Draft Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:If it goes to arbitration, Regin is going to get hammered. Literally, the guy has 30 points to his name in The NHL during 90 some odd games... Ryan Shannon got that.

I think that's what happens as well personally. Too much risk on both sides going to arbitration. You could get a bleeding heart who thinks Regin is the next Zetterberg and gives him a 2 million X 3 years. Too much uncertainty and too much bad blood after those hearings.

3 years at 2 mill, we could end up being winners at that rate.
i rather not go for the 1 year but for the 2 years. IMO he'' get 1.2.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum