GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:The other idea, though, is that you can win fans back with an exciting, marketable guy which one usually finds at the top of the draft. Such has been the case with the Blackhawks, benefitting enormously on the ice and off from their top selections in the 2006 and 2007 drafts.

Winning draws fans.

Let's say the Washington Capitals didn't deal away some of their older players and tried to finish their season on a high note at the end of 2003-2004, finished third and drafted Cam Barker rather than you-know-who.

Granted they put a lot of money into you-know-who in re-signing him, but don't you think they're benefitting a lot more than if they would with Barker, or Andrew Ladd?

You bring up two very interesting stories about franchises that have rebuilt themselves.

Relaunching the Chicago Blackhawks was a combined effort on a number of fronts by Rocky Wirtz, John McDonough and Dale Tallon. The entire relationship of the franchise to the fan base had to be restored, so 'marketable' players were a priority. Toews and Kane have turned out to be both marketable and successful on the ice. At the same time, Tallon needed three full years (he was named GM in June 2005, and had been assistant GM since November 2003) and a lot of roster juggling to find the right mix. It has all come together this season.

In Washington, you have a very engaged owner in Ted Leonsis who understood he needed a 'franchise player' who could be distinctive to the Caps. Leonsis also made a conscious decision to scrap the roster of expensive, aging veterans and go on a 'youth movement'. He and George McPhee spent the 2003-04 season implementing that strategy. Of course, they would have been aware that one of the consequences of such a decision would probably be a fall in the standings. As in any business, these factors were most likely evaluated and a variety of scenarios were examined. One of them would have been the possibility of landing the number one draft pick.

The simplistic characterizations that the hacks who call themselves sports writers propagate include this notion of 'tanking'. Basically, that expression is complete BS. The very successful men who own NHL teams--like Rocky Wirtz and Ted Leonsis--are exceptional business minds. They don't need to BS anyone.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I predict the Sens end up picking 6th.

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

Looking at the math, and adjusting for their play, I'd suggest 7th, unless they manage to get the lottery ball(s).

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

The Leafs really have a horrible team now so I'd say we'll likely pass them. If the team plays just decent then I'd say they'll finish anywhere from 7th to 9th.

Hopefully we can get Cowen at least.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Urkie wrote:The Leafs really have a horrible team now so I'd say we'll likely pass them. If the team plays just decent then I'd say they'll finish anywhere from 7th to 9th.

After all this, seeing the Leafs get a better pick would just kill me.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Acrobat wrote:
Urkie wrote:The Leafs really have a horrible team now so I'd say we'll likely pass them. If the team plays just decent then I'd say they'll finish anywhere from 7th to 9th.

Just look at their team. They should be investigated for intentionally tanking.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Urkie wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I'd agree if they weren't this bad every year.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
Urkie wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I'd agree if they weren't this bad every year.

Plus the fact of Wilson calling for the measurement of the stick in the past monday game, that would lead you to believe they are trying to win, heh, maybe?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

as per tsn from today, not liking Toronto getting MPS, mind you, Cowen is no slouch either.

New York Islanders

C John Tavares

Tampa Bay Lightning

D Victor Hedman

Atlanta Thrashers

C Matt Duchene

Colorado Avalanche

C Evander Kane

Phoenix Coyotes

C Brayden Schenn

Ottawa Senators

D Jared Cowen

Toronto Maple Leafs

LW Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi

Stats on Jared Cowen are on the site below:
http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24822

but nothing on hockey's future about this guy yet. sounds like a good old rough style D-Man only the WHL can breed.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

What abou that Scott Glennie fella? I dont know much about him.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:What abou that Scott Glennie fella? I dont know much about him.

they have some nice things to same about him here.
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Scott-Glennie

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Nice stats for sure (if he had played as many games as Schenn he may have 80-ish now), Decent size also.

EDIT: Versatile and super fast too.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Nice stats for sure (if he had played as many games as Schenn he may have 80-ish now), Decent size also.

I definitely wouldn't bash Murray for picking this guy, but it all depends on where we fall in the spectrum of things, there are so many juicy choices in this draft, Murray really has a tough choice to make, but you know anything below # 3, you scratch Tavares, Hedman, and most likely Duchene off your wish list.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
marakh wrote:Nice stats for sure (if he had played as many games as Schenn he may have 80-ish now), Decent size also.

I definitely wouldn't bash Murray for picking this guy, but it all depends on where we fall in the spectrum of things, there are so many juicy choices in this draft, Murray really has a tough choice to make, but you know anything below # 3, you scratch Tavares, Hedman, and most likely Duchene off your wish list.

Think one or two teams will want a Defenseman. I'm thinking Tampa Bay, for instance. So may be a Cowen or a Larsson will go before Schenn and Kane. So if we are 6th or 7th, may be Pajaarvi will still be there cheers

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Think one or two teams will want a Defenseman. I'm thinking Tampa Bay, for instance. So may be a Cowen or a Larsson will go before Schenn and Kane. So if we are 6th or 7th, may be Pajaarvi will still be there cheers

we can only dream, not that I would be upset if Murray thinks there is a better player in the draft at that position than Pajaarvi, but he better make a damn good case for it, if this draft is a bust, we will not be very happy as fans, we have finally put some of our bad draft ghosts behind us and lately have really been on the up side with picks, Foligno and Karlsson are gold so far.

Edit...I have to correct myself, as per HF, Pajaarvi has climbed to # 3 on the prospects list, this scares me based on the performance of Ottawa lately and falling out of the bottom 5.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

I think he's a bit of a sleeper because of his injury but he's got game. He's one of the guys I'd look at should we miss out on some of the better players.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Definitely a sleeper, but I suspect that he and Schenn probably help(ed) each-other out in the stats department.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

IMO the highest OEL should go is 10. Cowen will also likely fall because of his injury.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum