GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realistically - where do the Sens end up on Draft Day?

+17
Urkie
Acrobat
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
asq2
SensFan71
PKC
beerandsens
caissie_1
beedub
Cronie
jamvan
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

caissie_1 wrote:Mattias or Erik Karlson... Wich one? I dont believe Erik will be ready. I think one more year for him.

Me too, there's no chance he's ready yet.

I continue to hear that Murray is working hard to bring him over next year. I would be very surprised if he is ready to make the jump and if he didn't gain a zillion pounds, I would worry about his safety much less his durability....

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

Didnt he also say that he would not play in the AHL. My guess is one more year in Sweden and then NHL!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:I continue to hear that Murray is working hard to bring him over next year. I would be very surprised if he is ready to make the jump and if he didn't gain a zillion pounds, I would worry about his safety much less his durability....

I guess we'll have to see. He's 180 ish by now I would imagine...that's heavier than Kris Russell and almost where Campoli is. His decision making is good enough that he might be able to make the quick jump, but if he tries to body guys like he does is Sweden, he'll be killed.

jamvan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:A stronger work ethic and a higher reading on the give-o-crap metre could have been the difference between where we are now and scrapping it out for eighth place. Still not a lot to be happy about going into next season with the curren group other than an upgrade in goaltending, assuming Leclaire is healthy.
Really, so you're saying the Bruins, Rangers, Washington don't give a crap because they are losing on a regular basis?

I think there's a ton to be happy about going into next season. All we really need to do is add two decent forwards. Our d looks very good next season, as I see our core looking as follows:

Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee

I agree about the optomism for next season. I think the systems we have had in place from Hartsburg were wrong for the talent and that Paddocks mismanagement of the personalities sent us into a tailspin it has taken this long to recover from. Clouston seems to be on the right track and the Core still contains some of the best players on the planet despite a down year this year....

504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I continue to hear that Murray is working hard to bring him over next year. I would be very surprised if he is ready to make the jump and if he didn't gain a zillion pounds, I would worry about his safety much less his durability....

I guess we'll have to see. He's 180 ish by now I would imagine...that's heavier than Kris Russell and almost where Campoli is. His decision making is good enough that he might be able to make the quick jump, but if he tries to body guys like he does is Sweden, he'll be killed.

I am surprised he is up to 180 he looked about an Italin wedding feast shy of 160 last time I saw him out of equipment....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
I am surprised he is up to 180 he looked about an Italin wedding feast shy of 160 last time I saw him out of equipment....

I also share in the belief that he's actually grown this hockey season. I think he might be six feet now. If you watch some of the highlights that are posted here from time to time, take a look...he looks bigger now.

As for 180, I'm just guessing, but I'm fairly certain he knows that he needs to get up to 190 before he can sustain the pressure of the NHL. When he was drafted he was 160 I think? So hopefully by now he's gained some solid weight.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I wouldn't read too much into guys weight. There's no way Rafalski is 200 pounds, but that's what he's listed at. Guranteed they will bulk him up quickly.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Sens will fall out of the top 10 draft picks unfortunately. This team is starting to hit a stride lately, and they could definitely play spoiler to a ton of teams. Our next five feature a faltering Bruins team, a surging Pens team, a goalie-less Sabres team, an overrated Habs team, and a hard-working but completely out of it Islanders team.

I could definitely see us going 4-1 over that stretch.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
beedub wrote:This team IS really good. I couldn't agree more with that. But keeping all the pieces together will result in the team combusting internally after next year as we are WAY too front heavy with big forward contracts.

so we need to use this draft day to a/ perhaps move up in the draft via trade and b/ either dispose of a biggie contract alltogether, or trade a biggie forward contract for a slightly less biggie defencemen contract

I think we might find it hard to trade anyone for anything. Teams are getting really scared of 2010-11. I think what we have is what we're going ahead with. There might be a possibility of Edmonton or a team with a rich owner who desperately needs a marquee player trying to make a move for Spezza, but other than that, I think you'll find no takers.

Even if a team like Edmonton or Vancouver comes in with an offer, it'll be a terrible return because GMs would feel they're doing you a favour by clearing some of your cap and adding some space.

Tough summer. Be prepared for a lack of movement from everyone. Bouwmeester would be best off to apologize and take the offer that Florida has on the table.

I think we can all agree that the return shall not equal the asset going the other way. From a hockey skill standpoint, we will get bent over the table a little. High pick / prospect. C'est tout.

However, the 7 mill that is cleaned off the cap can be banked and should the cap not dip as far as experts predict, then you are still ahead, but if it dips as low as expected, Ottawa is a viable, responsible franchise with a tremendous upside

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:I think the Sens will fall out of the top 10 draft picks unfortunately. This team is starting to hit a stride lately, and they could definitely play spoiler to a ton of teams. Our next five feature a faltering Bruins team, a surging Pens team, a goalie-less Sabres team, an overrated Habs team, and a hard-working but completely out of it Islanders team.

they're going to hit a Bruins team that is pissed, a surging Pens team, a slumping Sabres and a rejuvinated Habs team and finally Joey McDonald

Sens go 2-3

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:
504Heater wrote:
beedub wrote:This team IS really good. I couldn't agree more with that. But keeping all the pieces together will result in the team combusting internally after next year as we are WAY too front heavy with big forward contracts.

so we need to use this draft day to a/ perhaps move up in the draft via trade and b/ either dispose of a biggie contract alltogether, or trade a biggie forward contract for a slightly less biggie defencemen contract

I think we might find it hard to trade anyone for anything. Teams are getting really scared of 2010-11. I think what we have is what we're going ahead with. There might be a possibility of Edmonton or a team with a rich owner who desperately needs a marquee player trying to make a move for Spezza, but other than that, I think you'll find no takers.

Even if a team like Edmonton or Vancouver comes in with an offer, it'll be a terrible return because GMs would feel they're doing you a favour by clearing some of your cap and adding some space.

Tough summer. Be prepared for a lack of movement from everyone. Bouwmeester would be best off to apologize and take the offer that Florida has on the table.

I think we can all agree that the return shall not equal the asset going the other way. From a hockey skill standpoint, we will get bent over the table a little. High pick / prospect. C'est tout.

However, the 7 mill that is cleaned off the cap can be banked and should the cap not dip as far as experts predict, then you are still ahead, but if it dips as low as expected, Ottawa is a viable, responsible franchise with a tremendous upside

I'd say Patrick O'Sullivan, Sam Gagner and a first round pick would be quite fine by me for Spezza.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:I expect a losing streak starting tonight or saturday. This team won't beat the Islanders. It seems when they are in a winnign streak, they cool off a bit. It has been more than 100 games now.
Also, teams like St Louis, LA and Anaheim won't drop significantly, because they still can make the Playoffs.
I see us picking 6th, where we are as of today. Who knows, may be we win the lottery and select Hedman 2nd overall.

I definitely do not have any issues with that scenario, do we trade Phillips hypothetically if we draft Hedman? does Hedman have injury issues like I have heard from a couple people?

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
beedub wrote:
504Heater wrote:

I'd say Patrick O'Sullivan, Sam Gagner and a first round pick would be quite fine by me for Spezza.

I like it. I even like O'Sullivan and 1stie only

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:A stronger work ethic and a higher reading on the give-o-crap metre could have been the difference between where we are now and scrapping it out for eighth place. Still not a lot to be happy about going into next season with the curren group other than an upgrade in goaltending, assuming Leclaire is healthy.
Really, so you're saying the Bruins, Rangers, Washington don't give a crap because they are losing on a regular basis?

I think there's a ton to be happy about going into next season. All we really need to do is add two decent forwards. Our d looks very good next season, as I see our core looking as follows:

Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee

The Bruins and Caps hitting a road bump does not even compare to the Sens Season first of all. The Rangers are spinning down the drain.

And to clarify I said an increase in work ethic coupled with giving a crap would have put the Sens into a scrap for eighth. I suppose I should have been more clear when I said this because what I meant by it was - Even with those things in place, the current incarnation of the Senators would only have been good enough to scrap it out for eighth spot. If nothing else changes on the roster or coaching staff I don't expect a much better showing unless Leclaire can stay healthy. If that's the case we could make it as high as 5th or 6th next season.

For the teams that are losing on a regular basis it's evaluated on a case by case basis. I am only evaluating the Sens and my assesment in no way is a reflection on other teams performance nor is it to be used to suggest other teams lose only because they don't give a crap.

- Unknown Author

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:
PKC wrote:I think the Sens will fall out of the top 10 draft picks unfortunately. This team is starting to hit a stride lately, and they could definitely play spoiler to a ton of teams. Our next five feature a faltering Bruins team, a surging Pens team, a goalie-less Sabres team, an overrated Habs team, and a hard-working but completely out of it Islanders team.

they're going to hit a Bruins team that is pissed, a surging Pens team, a slumping Sabres and a rejuvinated Habs team and finally Joey McDonald

Sens go 2-3

Sure the Bruins might be pissed, but they've lost how many out of the last 20 games, something like 15?
And a rejuvinated Habs team? They won one game on a Dung late game penalty....again.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
beedub wrote:

Sens go 2-3

Sure the Bruins might be pissed, but they've lost how many out of the last 20 games, something like 15?
And a rejuvinated Habs team? They won one game on a Dung late game penalty....again.

I am personally thinking Ottawa is loving this role of spoiler, beating some of the contending teams, Tampa excluded of course, but beating Boston and moreso Montreal hurt their chances of good playoff spots (or in montreal's case, a spot at all), so Ottawa will be loving beating them this important time of year.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I could deal with 8th overall personally.

I want a pick in the top-7. And Cowen's injury seems like a risk, so I want top-6.

Now is IMO just an awful time to turn it around.

Why couldn't they have secured a nice draft position and then won like 150-0 on the last game of the season? That still gives them some hope for next year. :@@@@:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum