GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Ottawa @ Detroit: 7:30PM, TSN, TSN1200

+13
Number Twenty Nine
Hockeyhero22000
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
Ev
shabbs
Flo The Action
Hoags
tim1_2
wprager
NEELY
PTFlea
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Michallica wrote:Perhaps alfie didn't believe the players or the coaching staff were as serious about winning as he was?  That's my thinking about why he said 'probably not'.  He was frustrated at his team, no question about it.  
When ownership invests more money and spends to the cap or close to it, it's a sign of confidence that ownership believes this team can win and is willing to put their money where their mouth it.  It's a vote of confidence

When they don't, it means the budget is more important than winning and/or that ownership doesn't truly believe in the team (at least not yet).

That might not necessarily be true but it can be perceived as such by some players.
Exactly..  Of course the players and the coaches want to win the Cup.  But Melnyk wants to do it on a shoestring budget... and that won't work.  You have to keep up to the other teams in the division.  

Mason Raymond was available for cheap... as it turned out.  Speed and can score.  The Sens right now are not where they should be.  Something is off.  Is it still adjusting to their team without Alfie?  Their PP is an absolute joke.. yet Dave Cameron is still  in charge of it.  That man appears to have no creativity..  The PP is too slow and predictable.. and it fails the team.  Their transition game isn't what it was in the first couple games of the season..  Then again, they have been playing the top teams in the West.  But the Leafs beat one of those teams last night?  Why?  Because they can put a puck in the net quite frequently.  Some nights the Sens can't put a puck in the ocean... see Edmonton game..  Too many shots from the outside.  Not too many players going to the front of the net..

Crossing fingers they win.  IF the pesky Sens show up.. they have a good chance of winning tonight.. Andy will have to be stellar.  If it is the team that played the Oilers... then it's another loss...
I don't think anyone here is dreaming of winning the Cup this season. In 2-3 years guys like Wiercioch and Cowen will be seasoned vets, Conacher/Pageau/etc. will be older and more experienced. Lehner will be getting the lion's share of the starts. That is when we will be competing. Is there really any need to spend money needlessly now?

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:5 points for Joe Scorevo.
No, 5 points for Karlsson ... to catch PK.
amen! I need it for my pool.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Michallica wrote:Perhaps alfie didn't believe the players or the coaching staff were as serious about winning as he was?  That's my thinking about why he said 'probably not'.  He was frustrated at his team, no question about it.  
When ownership invests more money and spends to the cap or close to it, it's a sign of confidence that ownership believes this team can win and is willing to put their money where their mouth it.  It's a vote of confidence

When they don't, it means the budget is more important than winning and/or that ownership doesn't truly believe in the team (at least not yet).

That might not necessarily be true but it can be perceived as such by some players.
Exactly..  Of course the players and the coaches want to win the Cup.  But Melnyk wants to do it on a shoestring budget... and that won't work.  You have to keep up to the other teams in the division.  

Mason Raymond was available for cheap... as it turned out.  Speed and can score.  The Sens right now are not where they should be.  Something is off.  Is it still adjusting to their team without Alfie?  Their PP is an absolute joke.. yet Dave Cameron is still  in charge of it.  That man appears to have no creativity..  The PP is too slow and predictable.. and it fails the team.  Their transition game isn't what it was in the first couple games of the season..  Then again, they have been playing the top teams in the West.  But the Leafs beat one of those teams last night?  Why?  Because they can put a puck in the net quite frequently.  Some nights the Sens can't put a puck in the ocean... see Edmonton game..  Too many shots from the outside.  Not too many players going to the front of the net..

Crossing fingers they win.  IF the pesky Sens show up.. they have a good chance of winning tonight.. Andy will have to be stellar.  If it is the team that played the Oilers... then it's another loss...
I don't think anyone here is dreaming of winning the Cup this season.  In 2-3 years guys like Wiercioch and Cowen will be seasoned vets, Conacher/Pageau/etc. will be older and more experienced.  Lehner will be getting the lion's share of the starts.  That is when we will be competing.  Is there really any need to spend money needlessly now?
no we're not thinking of winning the cup but at least making the playoffs has to be in the cards now. I'm very unsure of spezza's leadership qualities and that remains a big question mark. there doesn't seem to be the same intensity that there was behind Alfie. this team kind of needs to find it's new rallying identity. some growing up from the kids will be good in order to see some of them take on more leading responsibility. IMO in theory we're 2 years I'd say before we can reach the conf finals... then again, anything is possible when a team gets hot.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:[
I don't think anyone here is dreaming of winning the Cup this season.  In 2-3 years guys like Wiercioch and Cowen will be seasoned vets, Conacher/Pageau/etc. will be older and more experienced.  Lehner will be getting the lion's share of the starts.  That is when we will be competing.  Is there really any need to spend money needlessly now?
From Alfie's point of view he doesn't have 2-3 years to wait, which has to be at least one reason why he left.

And we are competing now, we :rp: Montreal pretty good.  The question now is if/how we will improve over the next 2-3 years.

Trading for Ryan reminds us that not every player on the team will be a player drafted by the Sens and that not every player may develop into what they project.

Building a Cup winner isn't an exact science, and it's more luck than anything IMHO.

sandysensfan wrote:

We don't know what the team's plans are.  This would be year 3 of their "plan" but we haven't heard much of that in the past year now have we? Melnyk doesn't want to do it on a shoestring budget judging by his comments, but if we can't spend much more than we do now then we can't.   You can't make millions of dollars appear out of thin air.

The next few years will be pretty telling, we had a very good team years ago and we could not win the Cup, we have almost come full circle. Will it be different this time?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:
From Alfie's point of view he doesn't have 2-3 years to wait, which has to be at least one reason why he left.

And we are competing now, we :rp: Montreal pretty good.  The question now is if/how we will improve over the next 2-3 years.

Trading for Ryan reminds us that not every player on the team will be a player drafted by the Sens and that not every player may develop into what they project.

Building a Cup winner isn't an exact science, and it's more luck than anything IMHO.

I was only commenting on why Melnyk would not spend now, and how his stance this season does not mean this will be the status quo regardless of anything else. When Bryan/PMac tell him they're close, he'll take off his shoe and sock and there will be a nice wad of bills in there that his ex-wife's lawyer didn't know about.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:no we're not thinking of winning the cup but at least making the playoffs has to be in the cards now. I'm very unsure of spezza's leadership qualities and that remains a big question mark. there doesn't seem to be the same intensity that there was behind Alfie. this team kind of needs to find it's new rallying identity. some growing up from the kids will be good in order to see some of them take on more leading responsibility. IMO in theory we're 2 years I'd say before we can reach the conf finals... then again, anything is possible when a team gets hot.
It wasn't very long ago, after several years of playoff underachievement under Alfie's leadership that a fairly vocal majority wanted to run him out of town. Even I was suggesting that, while I can't fault his individual performance -- he always gave 100% percent -- that perhaps this team needed a different kind of leader, a real prick of a guy who would grab you by the collar and scream in your face if he thought you were dogging it. Alfie wasn't that kind of leader. I doubt Spezza is that type, either but Spezza is more vocal than Alfie. I always see him on the bench talking to the others, whereas Alfie was the epitome of "lead by example".

Who knows. 8 games into Spezza's captaincy, where he spent most of camp nursing an injury, perhaps a bit early to question his leadership.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think people put too much on the captain.  There's a group of "leaders" in the room.  It's not just one guy.

Playoff underachievement is a team failure not the captain's.

wprager wrote:
I was only commenting on why Melnyk would not spend now, and how his stance this season does not mean this will be the status quo regardless of anything else.  When Bryan/PMac tell him they're close, he'll take off his shoe and sock and there will be a nice wad of bills in there that his ex-wife's lawyer didn't know about.
Well I'm not going to beat this horse anymore, we'll see on how they intend on getting this team to "the next level".

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:no we're not thinking of winning the cup but at least making the playoffs has to be in the cards now. I'm very unsure of spezza's leadership qualities and that remains a big question mark. there doesn't seem to be the same intensity that there was behind Alfie. this team kind of needs to find it's new rallying identity. some growing up from the kids will be good in order to see some of them take on more leading responsibility. IMO in theory we're 2 years I'd say before we can reach the conf finals... then again, anything is possible when a team gets hot.
It wasn't very long ago, after several years of playoff underachievement under Alfie's leadership that a fairly vocal majority wanted to run him out of town.  Even I was suggesting that, while I can't fault his individual performance -- he always gave 100% percent -- that perhaps this team needed a different kind of leader, a real prick of a guy who would grab you by the collar and scream in your face if he thought you were dogging it.  Alfie wasn't that kind of leader.  I doubt Spezza is that type, either but Spezza is more vocal than Alfie.  I always see him on the bench talking to the others, whereas Alfie was the epitome of "lead by example".

Who knows.  8 games into Spezza's captaincy, where he spent most of camp nursing an injury, perhaps a bit early to question his leadership.
true, I was part of that group that very much doubted Alfie's leadership once upon a time. but i think at one point something clicked inside alfie that at least made others take notice and made him a better leader. i remember the losses to the devils and to anaheim, there was just no giving up in him, if he could of he would of gone against them alone.

it's true that this is premature to doubt spezza but there will have to be a time when we can actually see him go beyond the normal call to a player and try and take this team where it needs to be taken. I'm not sure if that's something i've really seen in spezza. at the end of the line talk is cheap, action is needed. there will be a test of his commitment.

yes... less then 10 games in... Facepalm  i wanna win!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

10 mins to game time nigga's

NEELY

Mod
Mod

What a shift by Gryba there. Again, getting better every game.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Did that 3 days off ever make a difference. Wow.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

even a powerplay goal

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Told you, this was the game they've been looking ahead to all year. Also Detroit is overrated

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Ryan! 2 pp goals 3-0 sens

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Did that 3 days off ever make a difference.  Wow.
I loved that start as much as anyone here (ask my kid about the screaming) but that was not the Detroit team I was expecting to see. They were horrible.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Great period.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michalek still looks absolutely lost, he is for sure playing out the string here in Ottawa.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, that penalty on Greening should have been 2 minutes for diving. Horrible call, the ref should be ashamed. Greening barely touched him and he folded like a deck-chair.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum