GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joined "Generation-K" today

+9
LethalLehner
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
shabbs
Riprock
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

46Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

I now buy the Newman's own from Costco - $33 for 80 cups.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I got some Newman's Own yesterday and tried it this morning. Pretty nice. I have to admit, I started looking at the number of grams of coffee and Newman's had the highest (of the ones I looked at). Folgers has to be one of the worst -- not worth saving the 50 cents (on a pack of 12). In fact, I saw a box of Folgers (same price, mind you) which was so light that I had to read the details -- it was instant coffee. In a k-cup. Wow.

Anyhow, I'm planning on getting a couple of those Eko-brew reusable ones (can get it on eBay.ca for under $14 for a single, including shipping, or slightly less if I get a two-pack). I use the re-usable one that came with the machine quite a bit and removing the insert is a PITA.

Also, if you have the Ekobrew cups, you can then get really cheap selections in coffee discs from TweedAndHickory.com (they call them Kienna Pods and if you by two packs of 50 you get the k-cup adapter -- but you can just as easily stick them in the Ekobrew one).

Lastly, why on Earth would anyone buy K-cups for tea? The cost of teabags is something like 1/10th of the cost of the c-cups, and you can very easily stick them into the reusable k-cup holder.

47Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

I now buy the Newman's own from Costco - $33 for 80 cups.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My EkoBrew arrived yesterday. I tried it out this morning and was not a happy customer. It leaked on the sides.
Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 1323793717-Ekobrew200

It has filters on the bottom and the sides. I think the ones on the sides are what's causing this. I took the insert out, held it over the sink, put my finger over the bottom hole and started pouring water from the top, and it started coming out from the sides. Almost like some kind of overflow control, I think. So it's possible I was using too much coffee or it was too fine a grind (it was a store-bought espresso -- didn't look too fine but maybe was); if the bottom filter is not draining it fast enough I could see how this could happen. Thing is it never happened with the supplied re-usable filter (its holder doesn't have any overflow side openings).

I'll try with a different grind later.

48Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Anyone looking for cheaper Tassimo coffee should check out PC's new line. They have Great Canadian, West Coast Dark, a Medium and an Espresso I think, all $6.99.

Also the Loblaws here in Barrhaven has a Costco sized package of the Great Canadian they sell for $21.99 and has basically 4 packages of the $6.99 - so you get 4 for the price of 3.

49Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 am

Riprock wrote:Anyone looking for cheaper Tassimo coffee should check out PC's new line. They have Great Canadian, West Coast Dark, a Medium and an Espresso I think, all $6.99.

Also the Loblaws here in Barrhaven has a Costco sized package of the Great Canadian they sell for $21.99 and has basically 4 packages of the $6.99 - so you get 4 for the price of 3.

My problem with Tassimo is that I can't find a tea I like. :crossarms:

I don't drink coffee, in any form, so the Tassimo for me basically is the odd Suchard Hot Chocolate.

50Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I really don't get why people would buy K-Cups for tea. I take my teabag (which is about 10-15 cents a bag in quantity) and put it in the reusable K-cup. Saves me 80 cents over the K-Cups and let's me keep my green on. Teabags are a lot easier to clean out from the reusable K-Cup than coffee. And even if I don't buy in quantity, I can get all kinds of tea variety in smaller sizes and still save 50 cents or more over the price of the K-Cups.

I'm not sure if there are reusable pods for the Tassimo, but if there aren't then I'd say the Keurig system is a lot more affordable for tea drinkers.

51Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tried the Ekobrew again with a regular grind, not over-filled. Toward the end of the cycle some of it started coming out around the sides instead of on the bottom. Not much, but still a bother.

52Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

For tea I would just use a tea pot. I think Tassimo only sells Twinnings in store. They have more selection online, but that's the problem - it's online.

53Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:18 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Too much garbage for me. I'm addicted to my french press Smile It makes regular coffee, it makes decaf coffee and I could also use it to steep tea;

54Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:23 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I own both a Keurig and a Tassimo. I like them both for different reasons. My 11 year old Keurig recently died so I bought the Platinum version. I just ordered a EkoBrew to test it out. I prefer the hot chocolate from the Tassimo and I prefer the Keurig for tea.

55Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LethalLehner wrote:I own both a Keurig and a Tassimo. I like them both for different reasons. My 11 year old Keurig recently died so I bought the Platinum version. I just ordered a EkoBrew to test it out. I prefer the hot chocolate from the Tassimo and I prefer the Keurig for tea.

I have the Platinum as well. I'd be curious to hear your experience with the EkoBrew. #29 said he uses it for decaf and how it's so much more convenient than the one that comes with the machine. Maybe the K-Cup holder in the Platinum has been modified (it is in two parts -- I cannot separate them but you can definitely feel some movement).

56Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I am hoping to receive the EkoBrew this week so I will let you know. I watched a few of reviews on YouTube and it seems to work quite well.

57Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This is pretty much what happens with mine:

Read up a bit and apparently it could be a faulty "O" ring.

58Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:35 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

On one of the reviews they mentioned that the manual discusses some issues if the coffee is ground too finely. It can clog up the mesh and cause the EkoBrew to leak and overflow. I am not sure if that is your issue though. Just a thought.

59Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TASSIMO FTW!!!!!!

60Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

BubbaKeg FTW!!!!

61Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:TASSIMO FTW!!!!!!

Calm down, old man.

LethalLehner wrote:On one of the reviews they mentioned that the manual discusses some issues if the coffee is ground too finely. It can clog up the mesh and cause the EkoBrew to leak and overflow. I am not sure if that is your issue though. Just a thought.

My first cup, maybe -- it was an espresso. The second one was regular. In that video the guy shows how the lid won't close properly; that could be an O-ring problem. Mine closes fine, however if I put in too much maybe when the water gets in and the grinds soak it up it will push the lid up. I'll have to play with it.

Just came from WalMart. They had a box of 48 K-cups (a mix of Timothy's and A.L. VanHoutte, flavoured and regular) -- all for $10. I figured even if I end up throwing the flavoured ones out that's still 24 regular K-cups for $10. Just had one of the flavoured ones -- raspberry something or other, and it was only a quarter bad. My wife says she actually likes some flavoured ones once in a while, and my oldest (who doesn't really drink coffee) will have some once in a while. All in all, a good haul. I also heard that Farm Boy sells some K-cups at decent prices; I'll have to check them out.

62Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I have been told that the Farm Boy near me now offers a mix & match for k-cups. I am not sure of the selection or the cost but it might be something to check out if you like a variety.

63Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 4 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Damn, I tried it a third time with the EkoBrew. Made sure I didn't over-fill it. Still leaked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum