GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joined "Generation-K" today

+9
LethalLehner
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
shabbs
Riprock
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If you knew someone was Jewish, would you knowingly make that joke? Wll, now he knows.

I consider myself frugal, but I don't look at cost as the only parameter.

If someone is being cheap and I call him cheap only to have him say, "I'm part Jewish and your comment is offensive," the only person being racist is the one that brought the stereotype into the discussion. Unless I'm missing something, the joke had nothing to do with Judaism until you brought it up.

107Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:If you knew someone was Jewish, would you knowingly make that joke? Wll, now he knows.

If someone is being cheap and I call him cheap only to have him say, "I'm part Jewish and your comment is offensive," the only person being racist is the one that brought the stereotype into the discussion. Unless I'm missing something, the joke had nothing to do with Judaism until you brought it up.

Beat me to the punch. +1

108Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:

Calling someone cheap is one thing. The stereotypical "Jew bending over to pick up a penny" goes a little further. I said I was "cheap" early on in the thread (semi-serious, since I like to think I'm frugal for good reasons), was there really a need for someone else to echo that statement? Anyhow, it was the third or fourth time the picture was brought up -- I had enough of it the second time and said so. What was the purpose, then, to bring it up a third time?

109Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Just for argument's sake, can a perspon really be "a quarter" or "half jewish"?

A Jew is a follower of Judaism, so it is a religion. How can a person identify as being partly belonging to a religion? Aren't you either Jewish or not, Christian or not, Muslim or not, etc.

I also find it weird that a lot of Jewish people identify as being Jew, as if it is their nationality. You don't get people saying "I'm Muslim" when asked the same question as a Jew about "what they are" (as in what Nationality).

110Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:Just for argument's sake, can a perspon really be "a quarter" or "half jewish"?

A Jew is a follower of Judaism, so it is a religion. How can a person identify as being partly belonging to a religion? Aren't you either Jewish or not, Christian or not, Muslim or not, etc.

I also find it weird that a lot of Jewish people identify as being Jew, as if it is their nationality. You don't get people saying "I'm Muslim" when asked the same question as a Jew about "what they are" (as in what Nationality).

Well, I was growing up in Russia where nationality goes by the father, so I was Jewish. But in Jewish tradition nationality goes by the mother (since she is the one, typically, who brings up the children), so I was Russian.

The stereotype, though, has nothing to do with religion. I was made fun of when I was growing up because of my prominent nose -- another "Jewish" trait that has nothing to do with religion.

111Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But Jewish isn't a nationality, is it? Unless you're from Jerusalem?

112Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

Calling someone cheap is one thing. The stereotypical "Jew bending over to pick up a penny" goes a little further. I said I was "cheap" early on in the thread (semi-serious, since I like to think I'm frugal for good reasons), was there really a need for someone else to echo that statement? Anyhow, it was the third or fourth time the picture was brought up -- I had enough of it the second time and said so. What was the purpose, then, to bring it up a third time?

I don't see how that picture makes you think of Jewish people. Seems like a bit of a leap to me. Again, unless I'm missing something, you're the one bringing stereotypes into the discussion.

I do agree that if what you're suggesting was the intent of the picture, that's way over the line. I'm just having trouble seeing how you reached that conclusion.

EDIT: One more thing, you mentioned before that you "could take offense." I suggest that, unless you're sure that someone is making a comment because you have Jewish ancestry, you make an effort not to take offense and not to assume racial undertones to the comment.

Last edited by spader on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

113Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:But Jewish isn't a nationality, is it? Unless you're from Jerusalem?

"Nation" goes a lot farther than the country that you're from. The term is often used to describe people from a particular ethnic group. Canada, for example, is a nation in the sense that it is a country. At the same time, Canada is made up of many different nations in the sense of ethnic groups (Quebecois, First Nations, Metis, Inuit, Anglophones, you could even make an argument for Newfoundlanders, etc.).

114Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm pretty sure that the OP did not post that picture because they knew of my ancestry or even despite knowing it. Clearly they didn't.

115Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wow, this has gone off the rails...

116Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:19 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I'm pretty sure that the OP did not post that picture because they knew of my ancestry or even despite knowing it. Clearly they didn't.

Ah, so you were the one that brought the stereotype into the discussion. Just making sure. No harm, then.

117Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What are you talking about? What are you talking about?

118Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Downlo10

119Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:What are you talking about? What are you talking about?

Nothing to see here.

120Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Downlo10

spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:What are you talking about? What are you talking about?

Nothing to see here.

121Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tassimo now serving up Second Cup coffee...

http://www.secondcup.com/blogs/second-cup%C2%AE-and-tassimo-partnership/

122Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

My school just bought a Keurig. It isn't bad.

123Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 8 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The convenience of these 1-cup systems is awesome. Sometimes, you just want a cup of coffee...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum