GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joined "Generation-K" today

+9
LethalLehner
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
shabbs
Riprock
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 12:28 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a Keurig machine in my office still in the box. Should I use it?

32Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

I now buy the Newman's own from Costco - $33 for 80 cups.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Cool.

Now, the unit I bought came with a refillable cup already. Is the one you use any different/better? If I get into this a bit more I'll probably want more than one. The pre-filled cups get punctured at the top and bottom -- how does that work for the reusable ones? Or do they have to line up a certain way and the holes are already in the same place? And how long does the filter inside the reusable ones work, and can it be replaced?

Put the one that came with it away. You will need it when you return the defective Kuerig to Costco. I don't like that one anyways. it requires that you remove the cup insert from the machine. The one in the link i gave you, you don't have to remove anything, It plops in just like a K Cup. The filter is stainless steel, so it it should last a good long while.

33Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I could be wrong, but I thought the one that came with the unit slips in just like a k-cup, too. It's the Platinum version, don't you know. Paid enough for it (mind you, it came with 60 k-cups so I should really subtract at least $30 from the cost if I compare to the models I've seen in other places).

34Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The filter is stainless steel, so it it should last a good long while.

Pfft. You live in Pennsylvania. What do you know about steel? Beer

35Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Riprock wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Riprock wrote:As a Tassimo user I must say "booooooo".

I am impartial to no brand of coffee so I can't say I chose one over the other for any reason other than price. I am a little peeved that Keurig seems to eb the elitist brewer and has all the selection, while Bosch has only select varieties and has exclusive flavours and brands you can only buy online.

Tassimo represent!

I do like the Suchard Hot Chocolate, and the Cadbury's HC is a hit with my kids.

As I researched the name (Suchard), I found out there is a recall on a Tassimo machines part that causes the discs to spray whilst brewing. Fuckbeans.

http://www.tassimosafetyrecall.com/

The recall is no big deal - I never had an issue with it, but they sent the new holder anyways.

Nice. THanks for the info, I will contact them.

36Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought the one that came with the unit slips in just like a k-cup, too. It's the Platinum version, don't you know. Paid enough for it (mind you, it came with 60 k-cups so I should really subtract at least $30 from the cost if I compare to the models I've seen in other places).

says the guy to the guy that's owned 4 of these........

37Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
wprager wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought the one that came with the unit slips in just like a k-cup, too. It's the Platinum version, don't you know. Paid enough for it (mind you, it came with 60 k-cups so I should really subtract at least $30 from the cost if I compare to the models I've seen in other places).

says the guy to the guy that's owned 4 of these........

I picked mine up 2 days ago. They make changes all the time.

But in any case, I'll want more than one eventually.

38Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've never heard of Keurig's failing often, but I've not really paid that much attention. My friends that have them have not mentioned that. Our Tassimo has been rock solid. We got the recall notice and they sent us the updated part but we never had the issue that was being addressed. Our daughter loves the hot chocolate and she can operate it all by herself. We just don't let her take the disc out after as it's pretty hot.

The biggest knock on Keurig's I found was the time it took to get going. Not sure if that's still the case.

39Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I've never heard of Keurig's failing often, but I've not really paid that much attention. My friends that have them have not mentioned that. Our Tassimo has been rock solid. We got the recall notice and they sent us the updated part but we never had the issue that was being addressed. Our daughter loves the hot chocolate and she can operate it all by herself. We just don't let her take the disc out after as it's pretty hot.

The biggest knock on Keurig's I found was the time it took to get going. Not sure if that's still the case.

It takes 4 minutes (unless you never turn it off, like I did the first couple of days). My model comes with an on/off timer. I haven't read the instructions, but I set it up last night to come on at 5 minutes to 6AM and when I got downstairs this morning it was on. And I just checked now and it's off (programmed it to go off at 9AM).

Whaddayknow! Without even reading the manual.

40Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

4 minutes! Man I'd die waiting... my Timmy's coffee maker can brew a full pot in 3 minutes!!! (no lie, it does).

Tassimo is instant. Power on, disc in place, GO!

Tassimo FTW!!!

41Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:4 minutes! Man I'd die waiting... my Timmy's coffee maker can brew a full pot in 3 minutes!!! (no lie, it does).

Tassimo FTW!!!

that's 4 minutes from cold. Most people leave them on. I do and it takes less than 60 seconds to brew a cup. i figure if i pay big bucks for the convenience of K cups, I'll spare the 7 cents a day to leave it on standby.

42Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh heh. Leave everything on, everywhere, all the time... dot com.

43Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 4:04 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
shabbs wrote:4 minutes! Man I'd die waiting... my Timmy's coffee maker can brew a full pot in 3 minutes!!! (no lie, it does).

Tassimo FTW!!!

that's 4 minutes from cold. Most people leave them on. I do and it takes less than 60 seconds to brew a cup. i figure if i pay big bucks for the convenience of K cups, I'll spare the 7 cents a day to leave it on standby.

This is Canada. More like $3.54 a day. Beer

44Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tassimo FTW!!!

Nothing is instant. The water has to be heated up and that takes 4 minutes. After that you can make a cup every 30 seconds or whatever time it takes. I set mine to go on at 5 minutes to 6 in the morning and turn off at 9 -- no sense having it keep the water warm all day and the blue light on all night.

45Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Heh heh. Leave everything on, everywhere, all the time... dot com.

I'm not so much worried about my carbon footprint, as about my retirement bankroll.

46Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I've been a Keurig user for years. You did the right thing by buying at Costco. The machine will fail. It's not an if, but a when - usually 1 year after you bought it. Costco will take it back. I've replaced 4 of these already.

We used to get Keurig cups from VanHoutte.ca and locally at Crystal Springs Water Company in Cornwall - they carry Timothy's.

When I want decaf, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065G59F4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I got some Newman's Own yesterday and tried it this morning. Pretty nice. I have to admit, I started looking at the number of grams of coffee and Newman's had the highest (of the ones I looked at). Folgers has to be one of the worst -- not worth saving the 50 cents (on a pack of 12). In fact, I saw a box of Folgers (same price, mind you) which was so light that I had to read the details -- it was instant coffee. In a k-cup. Wow.

Anyhow, I'm planning on getting a couple of those Eko-brew reusable ones (can get it on eBay.ca for under $14 for a single, including shipping, or slightly less if I get a two-pack). I use the re-usable one that came with the machine quite a bit and removing the insert is a PITA.

Also, if you have the Ekobrew cups, you can then get really cheap selections in coffee discs from TweedAndHickory.com (they call them Kienna Pods and if you by two packs of 50 you get the k-cup adapter -- but you can just as easily stick them in the Ekobrew one).

Lastly, why on Earth would anyone buy K-cups for tea? The cost of teabags is something like 1/10th of the cost of the c-cups, and you can very easily stick them into the reusable k-cup holder.

47Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My EkoBrew arrived yesterday. I tried it out this morning and was not a happy customer. It leaked on the sides.
Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 1323793717-Ekobrew200

It has filters on the bottom and the sides. I think the ones on the sides are what's causing this. I took the insert out, held it over the sink, put my finger over the bottom hole and started pouring water from the top, and it started coming out from the sides. Almost like some kind of overflow control, I think. So it's possible I was using too much coffee or it was too fine a grind (it was a store-bought espresso -- didn't look too fine but maybe was); if the bottom filter is not draining it fast enough I could see how this could happen. Thing is it never happened with the supplied re-usable filter (its holder doesn't have any overflow side openings).

I'll try with a different grind later.

48Joined "Generation-K" today - Page 3 Empty Re: Joined "Generation-K" today Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone looking for cheaper Tassimo coffee should check out PC's new line. They have Great Canadian, West Coast Dark, a Medium and an Espresso I think, all $6.99.

Also the Loblaws here in Barrhaven has a Costco sized package of the Great Canadian they sell for $21.99 and has basically 4 packages of the $6.99 - so you get 4 for the price of 3.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum