GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson KONTRACTOCALYPSE!!! (Karlsson re-signs for 7 years!)

+13
Hoags
shabbs
PTFlea
dennycrane
rooneypoo
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Riprock
wprager
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:3 years, $30 million.
Puking2

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

That's only $3M more than Doughty, and 1.3M more than the greatest player in the world.

10x6.5

But since Murray's longest contract was given to Spezza (7x7)... maybe 6/7 yrs @ 6.5M... maybe 6yrs x 7m or 7yrs x 6.5M

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

I genuinely think that this will be a shorter contract, 2-3 years, at something like $5 mil / year. "One great year, fantastic, we love it, keep it up -- but you're not quite Lidstrom just yet, we need to see more."

Either that, or it will be a ridiculously long deal that takes him well into his UFA years. BM seems reticent on that front, tho', and I'd think the uncertainty of the new CBA will only increase that reticence.

Which is, again, why I'm thinking a short deal, one that keeps him an RFA at the end of it.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Both Murray and Karlsson (via agent) have to come to a mutual agreement though. What one side wants may not be what the other wants.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah. I still don't get why a guy coming out of his EL can be looking at so much cash. You can't have a set MAX either or else everyone would probably get it or threaten to leave.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Yeah. I still don't get why a guy coming out of his EL can be looking at so much cash. You can't have a set MAX either or else everyone would probably get it or threaten to leave.

Norris trophy candidate? Almost top 5 in scoring, and he's a d-man? and leading TOI for the sens. Look at how crosby and ovechkin got their contracts coming out of EL.

I agree with the principle, it shouldn't necessarily be this way. I'd be very happy with just a 3 year contract at $5-5.5M per season and then go long term but not sure what the sens have up their sleeves.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:

That's only $3M more than Doughty, and 1.3M more than the greatest player in the world.

10x6.5

But since Murray's longest contract was given to Spezza (7x7)... maybe 6/7 yrs @ 6.5M... maybe 6yrs x 7m or 7yrs x 6.5M

3 years, because he will still be RFA at the end. So we give him more money for less term.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Because of precedents. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Doughty, etc.

A lot of players get almost 10x their ELC salary.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Yeah. I still don't get why a guy coming out of his EL can be looking at so much cash. You can't have a set MAX either or else everyone would probably get it or threaten to leave.

Norris trophy candidate? Almost top 5 in scoring, and he's a d-man? and leading TOI for the sens. Look at how crosby and ovechkin got their contracts coming out of EL.

I agree with the principle, it shouldn't necessarily be this way. I'd be very happy with just a 3 year contract at $5-5.5M per season and then go long term but not sure what the sens have up their sleeves.

That's what I was getting at. Luckily, as an Ottawa Senator, there's no way Karlsson gets any hardware. Maybe not even a nomination or vote or whatever the Diddle you want to call it. Sarcasm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Riprock wrote:

10x6.5

3 years, because he will still be RFA at the end. So we give him more money for less term.

Except that not too many players take a decrease in pay. Hard to imagine he would go from a 10M cap hit to a 7M cap hit, only 3 years later.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:

That's what I was getting at. Luckily, as an Ottawa Senator, there's no way Karlsson gets any hardware. Maybe not even a nomination or vote or whatever the Diddle you want to call it. Sarcasm

Time's are a-changing. Still remember how Alfie only got $3M after going to arbitration with Johnston (he almost didn't sign with the sens). Most underpaid guy in the league over the course of the last decade.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget the agent will be negotiating off of the alleged $66 million dollar salary cap that kicks in July 1. Spezza got 7 million at a cap of about 50 million or so. The same percentage (14%) of a 66 million dollar cap is 9.24 million.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:Don't forget the agent will be negotiating off of the alleged $66 million dollar salary cap that kicks in July 1. Spezza got 7 million at a cap of about 50 million or so. The same percentage (14%) of a 66 million dollar cap is 9.24 million.

Hopefully we can figure out the "Red Wing Way" in time. Then we'd sign Karlsson for about 1.5 million for 1 year with a team option to resign in each subsequent year for perpetuity.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't pay Karlsson more than $7M at this point. At least with $6.5 it allows the Sens more room to improve by adding a top 3 fwd and/or a top 2 dman.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=42135

Yost talks about Don Meehan (Karlsson's agent) and Ottawa having goo relationship, and Karlsson wants to stay in Ottawa.

Rumour is a 3-year deal, as mentioned to take him to his last eligible RFA year.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Riprock wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=42135

Yost talks about Don Meehan (Karlsson's agent) and Ottawa having goo relationship, and Karlsson wants to stay in Ottawa.

Rumour is a 3-year deal, as mentioned to take him to his last eligible RFA year.
I would be okay with a 5.5M x 3 years. Maybe 6M if negociations started getting contentious.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I put this in the Ottawa thread, not realizing the KONTRACTOCALYPSE!!! was upon us.

1.A 3 year, big money contract that leaves him as an RFA

2.A long term 8, 9, 10 year contract that locks him up as a Senator

3.A 5 year contract - which is amazingly dangerous as he'd obviously be a UFA when it's completed

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The end of Karlsson's ELC is nigh. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum