GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson KONTRACTOCALYPSE!!! (Karlsson re-signs for 7 years!)

+13
Hoags
shabbs
PTFlea
dennycrane
rooneypoo
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Riprock
wprager
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

With the trade deadline in the distant past, we can now start to really panic about the upcoming Karlsson contract. This will surely generate much discussion and many potential salaries and terms will be speculated upon. I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As someone else mentioned in another thread, hopefully the influence of The Alfie will shine through, and Karlsson can see the benefit to not bending the team over. That said, I'd be happy with something around $6.5Mish on 5-10 years in length.

It's hard to imagine us getting much of a bargain when he's over a point-per-game.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:As someone else mentioned in another thread, hopefully the influence of The Alfie will shine through, and Karlsson can see the benefit to not bending the team over. That said, I'd be happy with something around $6.5ish on sometime 5-10 years in length.

It's hard to imagine us getting much of a bargain when he's over a point-per-game.

That's the kind of naive pollyanna thinking that had fans believing that "hometown" Wade Redden would be staying for less money and longer term. He ended up taking top dollar for short term with a view to cashing in an even bigger cheque in 2 seasons.

Just kidding, not about Redden, but kidding.

Karlsson for 5.75 to 6.5 for 7 - 10 years.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I'd like to see a two year deal for about 4.5M, then once he's had 5 years in the league, give him the longterm 7-10 year deal knowing what the CBA looks like.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said in another thread, $6.5M for 6.5 years (6 years plus an option).

If $8.7M is good enough for #87, then $6.5M should be good enough for #65.

And we'd better call Gilroy's agent and tell him to eff off right now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:I'd like to see a two year deal for about 4.5M, then once he's had 5 years in the league, give him the longterm 7-10 year deal knowing what the CBA looks like.

2 years for $4.5M per? No chance. This guy is making a mockery of every other defenceman's stats.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:I'd like to see a two year deal for about 4.5M, then once he's had 5 years in the league, give him the longterm 7-10 year deal knowing what the CBA looks like.

2 years for $4.5M per? No chance. This guy is making a mockery of every other defenceman's stats.

And of Glenn Healy.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

As I've said before, it's more than likely going to be $6.5M.

Doughty = 7Mx8yrs
Myers = 5.5Mx7yrs
Bogoisan = 2.5Mx2yrs
Hedman = 4Mx5yrs
Schenn = 3.6Mx5yrs

That's an average of 4.62M.

Since Doughty is the easiest comparable in terms of type of player, and that Karlsson in his contract year has outplayed and out performed all the guys mentioned, it is logical that he would make upwards of the highest.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

And of Glenn Healy.

Give him a signing bonus for that. I'd gladly pitch in.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

And of Glenn Healy.

And Leafs and Habs fans who defiantly proclaim Gardiner and Subban respectively are >>>> Karlsson

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

And of Glenn Healy.

And Leafs and Habs fans who defiantly proclaim Gardiner and Subban respectively are >>>> Karlsson

They are a bunch of silly gooses.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

3 years, $30 million.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:3 years, $30 million.
Puking2

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:3 years, $30 million.

That's only $3M more than Doughty, and 1.3M more than the greatest player in the world.

10x6.5

But since Murray's longest contract was given to Spezza (7x7)... maybe 6/7 yrs @ 6.5M... maybe 6yrs x 7m or 7yrs x 6.5M

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I genuinely think that this will be a shorter contract, 2-3 years, at something like $5 mil / year. "One great year, fantastic, we love it, keep it up -- but you're not quite Lidstrom just yet, we need to see more."

Either that, or it will be a ridiculously long deal that takes him well into his UFA years. BM seems reticent on that front, tho', and I'd think the uncertainty of the new CBA will only increase that reticence.

Which is, again, why I'm thinking a short deal, one that keeps him an RFA at the end of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum