GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik)

+4
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cronie
SensFan71
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:05 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

M Karlsson Signs on with Swedish Club (From Senschirp)

Binghamton Senators defeceman Mattias Karlsson has signed on with Timra IK to play over in Sweden next season. Karlsson was solid for Bingo last year but never did get the call up that he probably deserved.

Karlsson had 51 points in in 73 games but never did get the call to the big club. Some speculated that maybe his skating wasn't quite up to par but regardless, Mattian Karlsson will apparently be practicing his craft overseas next season.

This is more Binghamton Senators news than anything else but there were plenty of fans pushing for Mattias to get a call up last season.

Last edited by SensFan71 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is this good news or bad news for Sens fans?!?!

3Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not good news, but we'll...overcome. Smile

4Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

There is always the possibility he comes back, Ottawa still has rights on this guy do they not? Not saying he is a game breaker like Erik could be, but depth on D is not a bad thing.

5Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronie wrote:Is this good news or bad news for Sens fans?!?!

Probably neither. Looks like the organization didn't see enough in him despite AHL success.

6Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Ah well. He's better off there than in the AHL. I wish him the best.

7Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:There is always the possibility he comes back, Ottawa still has rights on this guy do they not? Not saying he is a game breaker like Erik could be, but depth on D is not a bad thing.

They'll hold his rights for a while I think.

Meanwhile, Erik Condra becomes a UFA in August if we don't sign him, so...come on now!

8Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You could spin this in another direction:

To play for the Detroit Red Wings is not a right when you're drafted, it's a privilege. They don't care if you're waiting in line behind 20 people in depth, or if you're a blue chip, you do the time in their system until they're ready for you - without one complaint.

That's the culture that the Sens will have to employ. And they'll lose a lot of guys because of it, but soon, kids will know that when they're drafted here, they will have to pay their dues.

9Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

In all honesty, he never really had much of a shot to make the Sens. He was too low on the depth chart. There is obviously a reason why he never got the call up.

10Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:You could spin this in another direction:

To play for the Detroit Red Wings is not a right when you're drafted, it's a privilege. They don't care if you're waiting in line behind 20 people in depth, or if you're a blue chip, you do the time in their system until they're ready for you - without one complaint.

That's the culture that the Sens will have to employ. And they'll lose a lot of guys because of it, but soon, kids will know that when they're drafted here, they will have to pay their dues.

I like this idea but the Sens will need to earn that respect as an organization before they can ever expect that kind of respect from their prospects.

11Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mojo wrote:I like this idea but the Sens will need to earn that respect as an organization before they can ever expect that kind of respect from their prospects.

Very true.

12Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:38 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Mojo wrote:In all honesty, he never really had much of a shot to make the Sens. He was too low on the depth chart. There is obviously a reason why he never got the call up.

That could be true enough, I haven't seen many B-Sens games, none actually other than scattered highlights on Senators Connected with Mendes, however, I remember Mattias' name coming up a lot on Chirp's website about being called up or should be called up, not from Chirp himself, but from fans instead. I agree that prospects should have to work there butt off to get up with the big club, perfect example, Ryan Shannon.

13Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Except Ryan Shannon was awesome from the first second he laid skate on ice. Karlsson's progression has been steady, but he would have benefited from a summer of working out and one last year in the AHL.

But, he'll do well...wherever he's going I'm sure. He's got Kuba-light talent.

14Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:45 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Except Ryan Shannon was awesome from the first second he laid skate on ice. Karlsson's progression has been steady, but he would have benefited from a summer of working out and one last year in the AHL.

But, he'll do well...wherever he's going I'm sure. He's got Kuba-light talent.

could this be something we possibly see happening with Zubov? I know he has been talked about coming up full time at some point, the talent is there, but is the work ethic? Am hoping Zubov isn't Kaigorodov 2.0.

15Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
could this be something we possibly see happening with Zubov? I know he has been talked about coming up full time at some point, the talent is there, but is the work ethic? Am hoping Zubov isn't Kaigorodov 2.0.

I think so to be honest. I don't think he's in proper condition to play an NHL schedule yet, so he'll need to work his arse off in the summer and hope to make the team out of camp. But if he doesn't, I think he'll look to go to Russia for sure.

There was an article in one of the local papers this morning where Murray was saying that he needed to work as hard this summer as he did last summer. Then speculation that he might indeed be looking towards Russia.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum