GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens.

+2
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens

Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap221%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 21% [ 3 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap229%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 29% [ 4 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap214%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 14% [ 2 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap221%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 21% [ 3 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap214%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 14% [ 2 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap20%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_lcap20%Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I struggled with this one because he's only nineteen so is it a matter of grading his overall performance or is it a matter of grading him based on the fact that he's a 19 year old rookie D man and comparing it to reasonable expectations of such a player.

I chose to look at his results compared to what should have been reasonable to expect.

That means an easy A+.

- Unknown Author

2Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Again, tough to grade. It may have been a mistake to pair him with Kuba in hindsight. Was underused on the PP in the early going too. He absolutely has to be out there for the full PP, IMO.

This kid still needs the support of a competent defensive partner to succeed at this stage. Once he can stabilize his game, no matter who he's paired with, he will easily be a perennial "A+".

B+

3Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Again, tough to grade. It may have been a mistake to pair him with Kuba in hindsight. Was underused on the PP in the early going too. He absolutely has to be out there for the full PP, IMO.

This kid still needs the support of a competent defensive partner to succeed at this stage. Once he can stabilize his game, no matter who he's paired with, he will easily be a perennial "A+".

B+

Wait, are we grading him as a defenceman or grading his performance based on his circumstances?

Obviously his defensive play was not good enough to warrant an A+, but if we're evaluating him coming into the league (and North America) as a 19-year-old weighing 175lbs, I'd agree with Clutch.

PPG in the post-season (which I'd previously evaluated), 32 points in 66 games over-all. That's roughly a 40 point pace over an 82-game season, something no Senator defenceman has hit (granted, a few have been on pace to do so) since 2005-2006. Also, our powerplay was just hopeless until his emergence at the end of the season, and its improvement probably won us Game 1.

4Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Again, tough to grade. It may have been a mistake to pair him with Kuba in hindsight. Was underused on the PP in the early going too. He absolutely has to be out there for the full PP, IMO.

B+

Wait, are we grading him as a defenceman or grading his performance based on his circumstances?

Obviously his defensive play was not good enough to warrant an A+, but if we're evaluating him coming into the league (and North America) as a 19-year-old weighing 175lbs, I'd agree with Clutch.

PPG in the post-season (which I'd previously evaluated), 32 points in 66 games over-all. That's roughly a 40 point pace over an 82-game season, something no Senator defenceman has hit (granted, a few have been on pace to do so) since 2005-2006. Also, our powerplay was just hopeless until his emergence at the end of the season, and its improvement probably won us Game 1.

Do age and weight count as circumstances?

Of course, as an esteemed member of the GMH Fraternity, you are free to judge young EK as you see fit. I look forward to your analysis. Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. 754246

5Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Of course, as an esteemed member of the GMH Fraternity, you are free to judge young EK as you see fit. I look forward to your analysis. Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. 754246

Dave?

6Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:15 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Dave?

Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. 159628

7Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Dave?

ya?

8Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

No one on the Sens deserves an A+ this year, save for Alfredsson, and even then it's debatable.

9Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

B+

SSFTheRave? Wink

I actually didn't say anything except I was hoping for a clarification of what we're evaluating. I agree with you (actually it'd probably be closer to a B for me) if we're supposed to just look at him as Player X without any knowledge of his age or history and just weigh his performance. I agree with CC if we're to take that into consideration.

EDIT: Also, yes, I think age is a circumstance to a certain extent because he's only had so much time to build muscle.

Last edited by asq2 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

B+

SSFTheRave? Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Icon_wink

I actually didn't say anything except I was hoping for a clarification of what we're evaluating. I agree with you (actually it'd probably be closer to a B for me) if we're supposed to just look at him as Player X without any knowledge of his age or history and just weigh his performance. I agree with CC if we're to take that into consideration.

I guess everyone has their own criteria. Nothing wrong with that. It's an interesting discussion no matter what.

11Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Empty Re: Erik Karlsson - Grade the Sens. Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I can only vote on their overall performance, not performance relative to expectation.

B (1st half C, 2nd half A).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum