GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Erik Karlsson Watch

+14
LeCaptain
Tuk Tuk
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
jamvan
M_Christopher
shabbs
spader
PTFlea
mattshock
PKC
Vandelay
davetherave
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:45 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Erik Karlsson is a player Sens fans are right to get excited about. His play in the World Juniors in Ottawa showed him to be a very intelligent and able defenseman who has already elicited comparisons with elite NHL blueliners.

The hype having to be matched by reality being something else, it appears the expectations are being managed, not least of which by Bryan Murray himself.

The Ottawa Citizen today devotes a splashy sports section front page to Erik, and as the article contains many of the discussion points that have been raised, it is posted in its entirety here.

SMALL SHOULDERS, BIG EXPECTATIONS
Senators to determine if rookie blue-liner can carry NHL weight
Allen Panzeri, The Citizen/September 7, 2009

As the Ottawa Senators begin play here in this four-team rookie tournament, with a game tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins, the eyes of general manager Bryan Murray and his hockey staff will be on defenceman Erik Karlsson.

He's not the only one they'll be watching, of course.

Players such as forwards Zack Smith and Peter Regin are also being given decent chances to make the team, but their futures are entwined with Dany Heatley's. It all depends on if there are roster spots open when Heatley is traded or compelled to return. If there are, then Smith and Regin will have a chance to compete for them.

But for Karlsson, a roster spot is his for the taking. Drafted 15th overall in 2008, he is viewed as the team's future power-play quarterback, a seat that Filip Kuba is keeping warm.

This is a tricky business, though.

Karlsson is generously listed at 5-11 and 175 pounds. The type of forward he's likely to be facing measures in at around the same size as his teammate Smith: 6-2 and 199. There's a long history of small but skilful forwards in the NHL, not so much small but skilful defenceman.

So Murray has a lot to think about in determining where Karlsson will play this year: in the NHL or in the American Hockey League with Binghamton.

"I think talent-wise, he's good enough to make the team," said Murray.

"Offensively, he can bring a real dimension to our club.

"But what you have to look at is his overall play, No. 1, and, No. 2, how much is he going to be playing?

"He's a young player with a great future. He has the head, the hands, the shot. The power play will benefit from his presence. I know that right now.

"But I don't want him not playing substantial minutes. When I say substantial, he has to play 12 to 14 minutes often. If he doesn't play that, it will be more beneficial for him to play elsewhere."

At this rookie tournament, Karlsson is expected to dominate. He played a full season in the Swedish Elite League last year and was one of Sweden's better players in the world juniors, so he should be one of the better players here.

Murray figures he'll start to get an idea about Karlsson's ability this week.
"We'll see how they run at him, how they do different things, but I expect he'll have the puck a fair amount and he'll help the offensive part of the game," said Murray.

"Erik's big thing is his overall size and his ability without the puck. He's smart, he plays angles well. But, can he handle the traffic at the net when the game is on the line?

"That'll be the question."

Fellow Swede and Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson thinks Karlsson will be fine.
Alfredsson thinks the bigger challenge will be off the ice. The NHL's 82-game schedule -- twice as many games as a Swedish team plays -- is a grind.

"It will be a jump for him more in the fact that he's 19," said Alfredsson, who, like Karlsson, played for Frölunda.

"I was 22 when I came over, so I was more physically ready. I think that's the biggest thing.

"On the ice, he'll be fine. I think it's more the 82 games, the travel. But at the same time, when you're 19, nothing's hard.

"As far as the game, from Swedish hockey to European hockey, I think he'll adjust fine.

"I met him a couple of times before he came over here, and he likes the smaller ice surface. He loved the world juniors, playing on the smaller ice surface, and I think that fits him well."

Karlsson knows he has to have a fast start here, that he's going to be watched closely. But he's relaxed and "up for the competition."

When he left Sweden, he gave his parents a tentative goodbye, not knowing how long he might be gone for, since there is a chance (remote) he could end up back with Frölunda if he doesn't make the Senators. (He's wearing No. 65 because both his parents were born in that year.)

"My expectations are that I hope I can play as good as I know I can, and that everything will work out for me and, hopefully, I'll take a spot on the team," he said.

"I hope I'm going to stay here for a while.

"It's going to be good for me to play some games, to really get into everything before the main camp starts. I know I need to step my game up right away and play as good as I can from the start. I just have to do my best and hope it works out."

As much is Murray is clearly excited about getting Karlsson into a NHL uniform, he also cautions that everyone remember this: Karlsson is only 19 years old. It would be a mistake to expect too much too soon.

"He's a rookie," said Murray. "He's a guy the coach will have to protect in some situations. We know that.

"We think that if we're just realistic and let him play, and not say he's got to get so many points or so many shots on goal, but just let him go play and be satisfied with that -- which we normally are with young players -- then he'll be fine.

"But if we start pushing the button because the power play doesn't work one night and he misses the net with three shots, it'll be totally different.

"But that's not how I've ever approached young players."

---

Bryan Murray has made his position pretty clear: he wants Karlsson here, and he wants him playing--because that's how Karlsson will get his best opportunity to learn and adjust to the NHL.

Ever since Pierre Pilote, it's been shown time and time again that defensemen don't have to be monsters to make their mark in the big league. It helped, of course, that Pilote had mighty Moose Vasko as his partner.

And with recent pairings like Pronger-Niedermayer and Seabrook-Keith continuing to demonstrate the validity of that dynamic, it'll be interesting to see if and how Erik Karlsson lines up in Ottawa, and with whom.

...and of course, how he meets and/or exceeds expectations.

2The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:43 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Thanks for the post DTR.  Another great example of how lucky we are to have BM as our GM.  This summer has shown us how BM's experience as both a coach and GM is helping this team now and long term.  His strong stance and unwillingness to compromise the future for quick fixes is very admirable considering it could end up costing him his job...we all know how Ottawa media needs someone to burn at the stake!

3The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The key thing I gathered from that article is that they aren't sure about Karlsson's defensive part of the game yet. They indicate that he might be the most accomplished offensive talent on the back end for us this year, but the "putting him in a situation to play substantial minutes" and "trying to protect him in key situations" seems to clearly indicate that they are wary of his defensive game not quite being NHL ready yet.

Will be really interesting to see what happens. Will they play him on the second or third pairing if he makes it? Will they break up a defensive pairing to provide him with a steady, veteran partner to play with? Coach Clouston has a lot to think about this season in terms of roster management, player evaluations and line combinations.

4The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

@PKC> Karlsson with someone like Phillips would seem to make a lot of sense from the perspective you are offering.

5The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:26 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:@PKC> Karlsson with someone like Phillips would seem to make a lot of sense from the perspective you are offering.

So Kuba-Volchenkov on the top pairing and then Campoli-Lee/Picard on the bottom pairing?

It just feels like Campoli should be getting top 4 minutes given his offensive potential. Then again if he sees first unit powerplay time, which he should, he might be able to produce a ton of points.

Will be pretty interesting to see how Clouston pairs them up. I do have to agree though DTR, Phillips is probably the steadiest, most veteran presence we can afford Karlsson.

6The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I think it all depends on who shows up. I can't wait to see how our D pans out.

Who did Kuba look good with paired last year? Wasn't it Picard?

7The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

mattshock wrote:I think it all depends on who shows up. I can't wait to see how our D pans out.

Who did Kuba look good with paired last year? Wasn't it Picard?

As far as I remember, it was when Picard got hurt the first time that Kuba got paired with...someone else, and his came went full circle. I can't recall if that was Lee, or someone else though.

8The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:51 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

It was somebody... this is driving me nuts. To Google I go!!

9The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:57 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
davetherave wrote:@PKC> Karlsson with someone like Phillips would seem to make a lot of sense from the perspective you are offering.

So Kuba-Volchenkov on the top pairing and then Campoli-Lee/Picard on the bottom pairing?

It just feels like Campoli should be getting top 4 minutes given his offensive potential. Then again if he sees first unit powerplay time, which he should, he might be able to produce a ton of points.

Will be pretty interesting to see how Clouston pairs them up. I do have to agree though DTR, Phillips is probably the steadiest, most veteran presence we can afford Karlsson.

Kuba-Volchie
Karrlsson-Phillips
Campoli-Picard

That would be great. I think Campoli would get big minutes on the PP anyway, so he wouldn't suffer too much by being on the third pairing.

Oh, the reason that I didn't include Lee, even in parentheses, is that I honestly believe he goes back to Bingo. If Karlsson makes the team, there's really no spot for Lee here. His "development" takes a big hit if he's the spare and I just don't think he's ready and/or capable.

10The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:00 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I keep going back to how awesome Lee was when he was paired with Phillips in the playoffs two years ago. He wasn't anything close to that last year, but I definitely give him a chance to show he can get back up to that level this year.

I've seem glimmers from him, but it hasn't panned out yet. Picard I think is cut from a similar cloth, but I don't see the same high end potential.

What are the waiver conditions for the two? I think that's what played a big role last year in who stayed and who went down.

11The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lee can be sent to Bingo, but it's the wrong move IMO. Picard may be the Press Box guy for a while.

12The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:09 pm

spader wrote:
PKC wrote:

Kuba-Volchie
Karrlsson-Phillips
Campoli-Picard

That would be great. I think Campoli would get big minutes on the PP anyway, so he wouldn't suffer too much by being on the third pairing.

Oh, the reason that I didn't include Lee, even in parentheses, is that I honestly believe he goes back to Bingo. If Karlsson makes the team, there's really no spot for Lee here. His "development" takes a big hit if he's the spare and I just don't think he's ready and/or capable.

Those are the right pairings Imo. I also see Lee in Bingo.

Phillips and Kuba are remarkably similar players. They're both very solid positionally; neither does anything remarkably well; both provide stability to their playing partners.

Volchenkov needs one of them and I've been saying since the start of last season that Kuba-Volchenkov would work. They only tried for a few shifts in various games but they looked good together regardless.

Phillips is known to be the rock on our back end and is notorious for covering the mistakes/missteps of his playing partners - whether it be Volchie or any of the younger kids. Pairing him with Karlsson is the right way to go Imo.

Campoli definitely deserves some top 4 minutes and I believe Picard will show great strides going into the season. Imo that 3rd pairing is comparable to Mez-Pothier and could very well be an improvement.

We may be missing a #1 (or he may just not be ready to fill that spot yet) but our D-corps is vastly improved! So much so that I'm actually excited to see how well they perform this season - which I couldn't say going into last season... I was scared last season; this season, I'm confident and hopeful.

Last edited by cas on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

13The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:10 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Lee can be sent to Bingo, but it's the wrong move IMO. Picard may be the Press Box guy for a while.

As N4L, Rooney, Asq, and I have been trumpeting: Picard is going to surprise many of you and absolutely shock the rest of you :n:

14The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:12 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cas wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Lee can be sent to Bingo, but it's the wrong move IMO. Picard may be the Press Box guy for a while.

As N4L, Rooney, Asq, and I have been trumpeting: Picard is going to surprise many of you and absolutely shock the rest of you :n:
I think so too. Looking forward to see him play this season.

15The Erik Karlsson Watch Empty Re: The Erik Karlsson Watch Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:15 pm

There's 5. The other 99.9% of the fan base should get a pleasant surprise Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum