GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik)

+4
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cronie
SensFan71
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Except Ryan Shannon was awesome from the first second he laid skate on ice. Karlsson's progression has been steady, but he would have benefited from a summer of working out and one last year in the AHL.

But, he'll do well...wherever he's going I'm sure. He's got Kuba-light talent.

17Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:45 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Except Ryan Shannon was awesome from the first second he laid skate on ice. Karlsson's progression has been steady, but he would have benefited from a summer of working out and one last year in the AHL.

But, he'll do well...wherever he's going I'm sure. He's got Kuba-light talent.

could this be something we possibly see happening with Zubov? I know he has been talked about coming up full time at some point, the talent is there, but is the work ethic? Am hoping Zubov isn't Kaigorodov 2.0.

18Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
could this be something we possibly see happening with Zubov? I know he has been talked about coming up full time at some point, the talent is there, but is the work ethic? Am hoping Zubov isn't Kaigorodov 2.0.

I think so to be honest. I don't think he's in proper condition to play an NHL schedule yet, so he'll need to work his arse off in the summer and hope to make the team out of camp. But if he doesn't, I think he'll look to go to Russia for sure.

There was an article in one of the local papers this morning where Murray was saying that he needed to work as hard this summer as he did last summer. Then speculation that he might indeed be looking towards Russia.

19Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I think so to be honest. I don't think he's in proper condition to play an NHL schedule yet, so he'll need to work his arse off in the summer and hope to make the team out of camp. But if he doesn't, I think he'll look to go to Russia for sure.

There was an article in one of the local papers this morning where Murray was saying that he needed to work as hard this summer as he did last summer. Then speculation that he might indeed be looking towards Russia.

ugh we have had some bad luck with Russian prospects, they sure do have talent, but how come we end up getting the ones that don't have the drive to compete, if Zubov had Ovie's work ethic, he would have been up here by now. we will be seeing Zubov defecting to the KHL I am predicting.

20Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:gh we have had some bad luck with Russian prospects, they sure do have talent, but how come we end up getting the ones that don't have the drive to compete, if Zubov had Ovie's work ethic, he would have been up here by now. we will be seeing Zubov defecting to the KHL I am predicting.

It's not really Zubov's fault. If I was him, I would stick around another year, but he doesn't have elite talent. He could be a top 9 - maybe a top 6, but in Russia, he would be top 6 to top line for sure - and he speaks the language etc. etc. etc.

21Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:03 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:gh we have had some bad luck with Russian prospects, they sure do have talent, but how come we end up getting the ones that don't have the drive to compete, if Zubov had Ovie's work ethic, he would have been up here by now. we will be seeing Zubov defecting to the KHL I am predicting.

It's not really Zubov's fault. If I was him, I would stick around another year, but he doesn't have elite talent. He could be a top 9 - maybe a top 6, but in Russia, he would be top 6 to top line for sure - and he speaks the language etc. etc. etc.

Volchie could translate for him if he gives us a cheap top 9 forward, besides, Jagr's english never improved much in the time he was over here, plus it would give the CBC commentators another name it mispronounce on hockey night in canada (not sure how though, its pretty straight forward)

22Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:

We won't be developing a Top 6 forward in this franchise with any kind of staying power as long as Mike Fisher is the de-facto 2nd line center.

Talented, hardworking, Russian, North American, big, small... none of it matters.

23Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Volchie could translate for him if he gives us a cheap top 9 forward, besides, Jagr's english never improved much in the time he was over here, plus it would give the CBC commentators another name it mispronounce on hockey night in canada (not sure how though, its pretty straight forward)

Think of it like this:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon
Ruutu - Regin - Kelly
Bass - Winchester - Donovan

With Z.Smith chomping at the bit to take a spot as well. I don't like those odds for Zubov to get in there.

UNLESS...Bryan Murray decides to re-unite the B-Sens top line as a 3rd line (Zubov - Z.Smith - Shannon) and then moves Fisher to the wing and allows Regin a shot on line 2 as center.

I could like that pretty quick I think, but our entire 3rd line is green as green can be, so that might be a stumbling block. Plus, we'd have to relegate Chris Kelly to the 4th line (not likely) and get rid of Donovan and one other forward to make it happen.

Last edited by 504Heater on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:We won't be developing a Top 6 forward in this franchise with any kind of staying power as long as Mike Fisher is the de-facto 2nd line center.

Talented, hardworking, Russian, North American, big, small... none of it matters.

More than Foligno and Shannon this year you mean? I think Z.Smith is a natural to be at the very least a third line center, and that's Chris Kelly's staying power. I also think that Caparusso has a legit chance to work his way into the lineup. Ditto Greening, ditto O'Brien.

But it's tight.

25Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This sucks! BOO!!! I don't really know him that well, but I was hearing good things this year. I guess it really is horrible to play in the AHL, you have to tough it out though if you're ever going to play NHL hockey. So, in that case, good riddance!

At least it's not Erik. We don't really need babies on our team.

26Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Think of it like this:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon
Ruutu - Regin - Kelly
Bass - Winchester - Donovan

With Z.Smith chomping at the bit to take a spot as well. I don't like those odds for Zubov to get in there.

UNLESS...Bryan Murray decides to re-unite the B-Sens top line as a 3rd line (Zubov - Z.Smith - Shannon) and then moves Fisher to the wing and allows Regin a shot on line 2 as center.

I could like that pretty quick I think, but our entire 3rd line is green as green can be, so that might be a stumbling block. Plus, we'd have to relegate Chris Kelly to the 3rd line (not likely) and get rid of Donovan and one other forward to make it happen.

Not sure if I like the idea of dumping Donovan, but of course, hard choices have to be made, same say if it came down to Ruutu, he is one guy you hate to play against and is on a good contract, but that leaves Kelly, sure some people say he has hands of stone, but he is one hell of a penalty killer. I like Fisher to the wing and Regin at 2nd line center, I know he can do it.

27Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:Not sure if I like the idea of dumping Donovan, but of course, hard choices have to be made, same say if it came down to Ruutu, he is one guy you hate to play against and is on a good contract, but that leaves Kelly, sure some people say he has hands of stone, but he is one hell of a penalty killer. I like Fisher to the wing and Regin at 2nd line center, I know he can do it.

So, you see where perhaps Bryan Murray might have his hands tied with Zubov. And surely Zubov's agent sees the same thing. Not to mention that Murray has talked openly about acquiring a top 6 on the open market (not sure if that's the best thing to do IMO).

28Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:This sucks! BOO!!! I don't really know him that well, but I was hearing good things this year. I guess it really is horrible to play in the AHL, you have to tough it out though if you're ever going to play NHL hockey. So, in that case, good riddance!

That's it. That's the long and short of it. We're one of the most successful franchises up until missing the playoffs this year, and I hate to keep bringing up Detroit, but it takes a long, long time to make it there as well. You have to pay your dues.

Could turn into an Anton Babchuk type deal in Carolina where he left, then came back a year later to kick arse.

29Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:16 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

[quote="504Heater"]
SensFan71 wrote:So, you see where perhaps Bryan Murray might have his hands tied with Zubov. And surely Zubov's agent sees the same thing. Not to mention that Murray has talked openly about acquiring a top 6 on the open market (not sure if that's the best thing to do IMO).

It's a friggin' waste. We all know who this potential "Top 6" would be stuck playing with. We're better off with the status quo at forward, at least we won't be wasting additional cash and/or picks/prospects.

30Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:It's a friggin' waste. We all know who this potential "Top 6" would be stuck playing with. We're better off with the status quo at forward, at least we won't be wasting additional cash and/or picks/prospects.

Pretty much. It's about that time to let Zubov, Z.Smith and Regin run free with the big club. But, there are things standing in the way of all three of them making it.

Go with Regin Murray. He'll be the top 6 you want - and if not, Clouston will help him become one.

31Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:This sucks! BOO!!! I don't really know him that well, but I was hearing good things this year. I guess it really is horrible to play in the AHL, you have to tough it out though if you're ever going to play NHL hockey. So, in that case, good riddance!

That's it. That's the long and short of it. We're one of the most successful franchises up until missing the playoffs this year, and I hate to keep bringing up Detroit, but it takes a long, long time to make it there as well. You have to pay your dues.

Could turn into an Anton Babchuk type deal in Carolina where he left, then came back a year later to kick arse.

That would be sweet if we still had the rights to him.

I'd like to know why he wanted to leave, does he want to play in a tougher place or did he just hate the AHL? Was he expecting it to get handed to him on a silver platter after only 1 season in the AHL? I don't really understand his reasoning.

32Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think his wife is about to give birth and he want to be closer to his homeland - and he'll get a ton more $$ to boot - and it may actually not affect his NHL chances as much as people think.

That's all guessing though.

33Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) - Page 2 Empty Re: Karlsson signs in Sweden (not Erik) Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I think his wife is about to give birth and he want to be closer to his homeland - and he'll get a ton more $$ to boot - and it may actually not affect his NHL chances as much as people think.

That's all guessing though.

actually now that you mention that, I believe you are right on Karlsson's wife being pregnant and wanting to be back home, you have to respect a decision like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum