GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Karlsson KONTRACTOCALYPSE!!! (Karlsson re-signs for 7 years!)

+13
Hoags
shabbs
PTFlea
dennycrane
rooneypoo
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Riprock
wprager
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Riprock wrote:Next up, $1.1M for 1.1yrs for the Alfie after next year.

I'm a little nervous about paying $7.1M for Foligno, however.

And thank God we let Gilroy go to free agency.

Dodged a bullet there... but he is asking for $9.9M, but for obvious reasons, couldn't wear that #.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Good deal for the Sens.

It was going to be either a 2-3 year deal, or a 5+ deal, but I like what the long-term deal says about the strength of the relationship between the owner, management, and Karlsson.

$6.5 mil / yr is no small chunk of change, but that's less than Doughty made, and it will be less or about the same as what Suter and Weber will make, too. Karlsson took a little hair cut in the range of about $500K to a $1 mil, and OTT gave him the term.

Really a great day for the franchise. OTT has it's #1 D locked up for the better part of a decade. What you like about this most of all is how smoothly it went -- speaks very well to how happy everyone is with each other.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No way he was getting more than Doughty. For sure. So, $6.5M is nice, long term security for both sides. We'll see what the future brings. A good day for the Sens indeed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it's a very good deal considering the cap is at 70 million to start next year. He could have signed a 3 year deal then cashed in massively.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I'm cool with this. He just needs to avoid the big-contract hangover that seems to plague D-men with huge contracts.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Very excited to be able to not worry about him for the next 7 years. Hopefully he'll be a Norris candidate for a long time to come

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:I'm cool with this. He just needs to avoid the big-contract hangover that seems to plague D-men with huge contracts.

With Karlsson, all he needs to avoid is putting TOO much pressure on himself to win games single-handedly. I think he'll be alright. It'll be tough to duplicate this season he just had, but anything remotely close is absolutely worth the money he's being given.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Great singing and the process went perfectly. Nothing else you can ask for from anyone.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I guess 10 years, 65 million is a lowball at this point.

I would still try for 6.5 years at $6.5M. Since he wears 65. Or 65 years at 65,000.00 maybe?

6.5 years. I like your out of the box thinking. Beer

Looks like I was pretty well bang on, as usual. Beer

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
With Karlsson, all he needs to avoid is putting TOO much pressure on himself to win games single-handedly. I think he'll be alright. It'll be tough to duplicate this season he just had, but anything remotely close is absolutely worth the money he's being given.

That kind of worries me.

A lot of players are bad after they sign their first big contract and the enormous pressure of living up to that deal.

Karlsson seems to driven to succeed and be the best player he possibly can and that's a great sign but he's going to have to learn to relax and not feel the huge weight on his shoulders.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

According to TSN readers...

'too long, too much money'

'sucks defensively'

'at least no NTC so he can be traded for Weber/Suter'

'only had 17 gols, Green had 31'

'only benefited from playing with Spezza and Michalek'

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They're just jealous.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good thing Murray signed him before tonight Smile

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Too bad he is overpaid, and the term is too much... it's not like he is a Norris winner or something...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:Too bad he is overpaid, and the term is too much... it's not like he is a Norris winner or something...

Dayum, I tried to leave a comment on the TSN site -- would have been the first -- but although the userid 'wprager' is taken, my e-mail address (current personal) is not known to them. I'm sure I had signed up but which one of my old e-mail addresses? First it was newbridge.com, then alcatel.com, then alcatel-lucent.com, plus at one point they had us switch to first.last and I don't remember when.

Gotta keep trying.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

they are moderated anyways, which is surprising because of the stuff they allow on there. And you would most certainly get boo'ed for being reasonable, sensible, rational and truthful.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Pending approval, my comment will be:

"Apparently $6.5M a year for 7 years is overpaid and too long for a 22 year old Norris winner. Good thing he is our problem then, and not 29 other teams headache. "

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Finally figured it out. It was first.last@alcatel.com (before the merge with Lucent).

The one guy who simply posted "brutal" has been voted down to -22.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum