GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers!

+11
SensGirl11
Number Twenty Nine
Phoenix30
jamvan
COLLAR UP
PTFlea
rooneypoo
smash88
Riprock
Cronie
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:17 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Any chance Vermette is dealt, say with Gerber, for an Offensive PMD?

No chance at all. None IMO. Would open up a gaping hole in our top 6....unless Murray been that impressed with Foligno and Winchester. But no.

Gerber, Schubert, McAmmond and possibly Neil will go on the block immediately( along with picks and prospects) Only top end puck movers need apply.

32Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:17 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Any chance Vermette is dealt, say with Gerber, for an Offensive PMD?

It's also true what someone said on that link.. Chicago probably wouldn't want Gerber back as they already have 2 really good young goalies who are probably ready to back-up Huet... So we'd have to have a second deal in place in order to move Gerber

33Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah there's no way Chicago wants or needs Gerber, but it's certain we'd have to trade him.

Vermette is hardly a top 6.... he sure hasn't played like it.

Our top 6 could easily be:

Winchester-Spezza-Heatley
Foligno-Fisher-Alfreddson

and that would be just fine.

34Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Yeah there's no way Chicago wants or needs Gerber, but it's certain we'd have to trade him.

I'm really not convinced at all that Winchester belongs on the top line... This reminds me of Bochenski from a couple of years back.... I really do not see Winchester staying top 6... It's asking a little too much I think

35Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm

DashRiprock wrote:Yeah there's no way Chicago wants or needs Gerber, but it's certain we'd have to trade him.

...if we get a bonafide defenceman

36Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

blazer_2458 wrote:
...if we get a bonafide defenceman

Yes.

No need to do this unless you have plans of getting a PP QB.

37Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:27 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I keep hearing talk around here that we could just 'waive' Gerber and pick up Khabby, or better yet use Gerber in some kind of trade to help out the team.

I don't think that's going to happen. If there was anyone out there willing to take on Gerber, I'm pretty sure we would have traded him long ago. Even if we could find a partner, the return would be small, if not negative (costing us a pick, requiring us to take on salary, etc.).

Waiving a guy doesn't guarantee that his salary is off the books, either. Someone has to claim him, or he's still a part of your team and his salary still counts against your cap. Of course, Gerber could get assigned to the minors and that would get his salary off our cap -- but that's a LOT of coin to pay a guy to play in the minors. He'd be stranded in the minors all year, too, if say Khabby was injured (which happens a lot) -- and as mediocre as he is, I'm sure someone (say, with a struggling or injured goalie of their own) would take Gerber on re-entry, leaving us with a real dilemma.

I'd be shocked if we claimed Khabby in the next 24 hours. Too much money, and not enough cap space, I think. But never say never, and In Murray I trust. It should be an exciting story to follow for the next few days, in any event.

38Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:29 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:I keep hearing talk around here that we could just 'waive' Gerber and pick up Khabby, or better yet use Gerber in some kind of trade to help out the team.

I don't think that's going to happen. If there was anyone out there willing to take on Gerber, I'm pretty sure we would have traded him long ago. Even if we could find a partner, the return would be small, if not negative (costing us a pick, requiring us to take on salary, etc.).

Waiving a guy doesn't guarantee that his salary is off the books, either. Someone has to claim him, or he's still a part of your team and his salary still counts against your cap. Of course, Gerber could get assigned to the minors and that would get his salary off our cap -- but that's a LOT of coin to pay a guy to play in the minors. He'd be stranded in the minors all year, too, if say Khabby was injured (which happens a lot) -- and as mediocre as he is, I'm sure someone (say, with a struggling or injured goalie of their own) would take Gerber on re-entry, leaving us with a real dilemma.

I'd be shocked if we claimed Khabby in the next 24 hours. Too much money, and not enough cap space, I think. But never say never, and In Murray I trust. It should be an exciting story to follow for the next few days, in any event.

Yeah, I think he has a plan, we will see it unfold in the next couple of days... You make some very valid points too about Gerber....

39Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have to agree that I don't understand why Chicago placed him on waivers, because chances are they are going to find out, like Burke did, that no one wants Khaby at his salary, so this seems like a waste of a move in a way.

It's strange, but perhaps there's more going on that we've collectively yet to find out...

40Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:33 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:I have to agree that I don't understand why Chicago placed him on waivers, because chances are they are going to find out, like Burke did, that no one wants Khaby at his salary, so this seems like a waste of a move in a way.

It's strange, but perhaps there's more going on that we've collectively yet to find out...

I think really in the end all it does is lower Khabibulin's value, which in turn is good for us! cheers

41Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Just to slow things down a little... still no news breaking from major outlets about this "rumour".

42Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's a good point Smash. I had not thought of that.
I still think it's a strange move nonetheless.

With Richardson signed as a depth-move, it seems like we are still in need of a true PMD PP QB, and there are STILL some out there that feel a legit Top 6 F is needed as well; but for the latter, I would see Murray snagging one at the deadline; as for the former, I think he may be trying to work something, but may not rush it until well into the regular season, say around mid-november or so, depending on how the squad is doing.

43Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:39 pm

DashRiprock wrote:Just to slow things down a little... still no news breaking from major outlets about this "rumour".

Its was lunchtime and websites take time to be updated? Rolling Eyes

44Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:Just to slow things down a little... still no news breaking from major outlets about this "rumour".
Spector is carrying it too...

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159:report-khabibulin-on-waivers&catid=34:articles&Itemid=55

I suspect the "major" outlets are waiting for offiical word from Chicago.

45Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:46 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

smash88 wrote:

It's also true what someone said on that link.. Chicago probably wouldn't want Gerber back as they already have 2 really good young goalies who are probably ready to back-up Huet... So we'd have to have a second deal in place in order to move Gerber

Unless...CHI waives Gerbs right after the trade...waiving 3.7 is cheaper than 6.75

46Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

COLLAR UP wrote:Unless...CHI waives Gerbs right after the trade...waiving 3.7 is cheaper than 6.75
Holy waiver madness Batman!

Wink

47Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251197&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

48Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Nikolai Khabibulin on waivers! Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:Unless...CHI waives Gerbs right after the trade...waiving 3.7 is cheaper than 6.75
Holy waiver madness Batman!

Wink

LOL... it's funny but I have a feeling the next couple of years will be waiver-happy...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum