GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

+12
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_lcap238%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_lcap250%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:This is tricky business, this dealing with a leadership & team in a veteran-to-youth transitional stage, as we're seeing in SJ.

Phillips and Neil have been good soldiers and are good leaders, but they are not the future (or even the present, really) of this team. If you could erase/forget everything else and just focus on the play on the ice last year, you'd probably have to divvy up the 2 As and C between Karlsson, Turris, and MacArthur. But that's a tough move to make. But if you give it to Phillips, it sends a weird message about no culture change ('more of the same') and doesn't acknowledge the clear movement toward youth ('more of the old guard'). And it also looks like he's just a placeholder.

Lots of potential for hurt feelings here. The optics of what SJ is doing right now are bad, largely because it sounds like they didn't talk to Thornton or Marleau about this, but it also is a powerful statement about breaking with the past and seeing who steps up to lead.

It will take some savvy management of people, feelings, expectations, etc., to hit the right note with all this, inside the dressing room and with the larger public.

Doesn't this contradict the give it to Philips coment you just made?

I should have prefaced that last post with a 'you know what, I've changed my mind on this.' I have. Phillips, done.

Everybody agrees with me sooner or later.

77Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Fulcrum

Rookie
Rookie

Flo The Action wrote:..... If Karlsson us really ready he'll really stand out.

That would be ideal....talk is cheap ... you have to prove it.

We learned the hard way last year....

78Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:This is tricky business, this dealing with a leadership & team in a veteran-to-youth transitional stage, as we're seeing in SJ.

Phillips and Neil have been good soldiers and are good leaders, but they are not the future (or even the present, really) of this team. If you could erase/forget everything else and just focus on the play on the ice last year, you'd probably have to divvy up the 2 As and C between Karlsson, Turris, and MacArthur. But that's a tough move to make. But if you give it to Phillips, it sends a weird message about no culture change ('more of the same') and doesn't acknowledge the clear movement toward youth ('more of the old guard'). And it also looks like he's just a placeholder.

Lots of potential for hurt feelings here. The optics of what SJ is doing right now are bad, largely because it sounds like they didn't talk to Thornton or Marleau about this, but it also is a powerful statement about breaking with the past and seeing who steps up to lead.

It will take some savvy management of people, feelings, expectations, etc., to hit the right note with all this, inside the dressing room and with the larger public.

I should have prefaced that last post with a 'you know what, I've changed my mind on this.' I have. Phillips, done.

You remember that I was the guy saying, when Alfie was still here, that Phillips and not Spezza should be the next capt of this team, right?

79Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:32 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Spezza was still the right call at the time, you had to see what was going to happen.

80Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Spezza was still the right call at the time, you had to see what was going to happen.

It's like I said 3-4 years ago... Phillips would be the right call, but it will go to Spezza for all the wrong reasons -- marketing/PR, pandering to Spezza, etc.

81Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wrong reasons or not I still don't think there was much of a call at all there.  Had to do it and I am glad they did, he was completely exposed for what he truly is.

82Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You remember that I was the guy saying, when Alfie was still here, that Phillips and not Spezza should be the next capt of this team, right?

I do because it was some time after I had said it and I remember thinking "Finally, somebody agrees with me."

83Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Wrong reasons or not I still don't think there was much of a call at all there.  Had to do it and I am glad they did, he was completely exposed for what he truly is.

That is true, LOL. Smile

84Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I do because it was some time after I had said it and I remember thinking "Finally, somebody agrees with me."

Happy to oblige.

85Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:04 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:Wrong reasons or not I still don't think there was much of a call at all there.  Had to do it and I am glad they did, he was completely exposed for what he truly is.

That is true, LOL.  Smile

Sens will be better (now) down the road for it.

86Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think so as well. The team had to look at that and shake their collective heads. Now it's time to play as a TEAM again.

87Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I think so as well.  The team had to look at that and shake their collective heads.  Now it's time to play as a TEAM again.

yes but it really does make me wonder why Bm stated he wanted to keep spezza and sign him to an extension.

I've come to the conclusion that BM made those comments and knew they were empty. he didn't want to leave a spezza looking empty and by saying he wanted to keep him tried to keep his trade value as high as possible. i can only reason that deep down in the GM's office there were no contracts offered to spezza and they agreed on a story to stick by. that story has benefited both parties if only being a bit of a head scratcher for some fans. hockey politics.

now let this team find their own captain. let them play with only A's. i do not see how that could hurt the team. in one of the most intense hockey market in montreal it had no bad repercussions. they should try it here.

88Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:00 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I think so as well.  The team had to look at that and shake their collective heads.  Now it's time to play as a TEAM again.

yes but it really does make me wonder why Bm stated he wanted to keep spezza and sign him to an extension.

I've come to the conclusion that BM made those comments and knew they were empty. he didn't want to leave a spezza looking empty and by saying he wanted to keep him tried to keep his trade value as high as possible. i can only reason that deep down in the GM's office there were no contracts offered to spezza and they agreed on a story to stick by. that story has benefited both parties if only being a bit of a head scratcher for some fans. hockey politics.

now let this team find their own captain. let them play with only A's. i do not see how that could hurt the team. in one of the most intense hockey market in montreal it had no bad repercussions. they should try it here.

I dunno. From everything he's ever said, BM always seems to have had a blind eye to Spezza's more apparent failings. If there were ever a time to express your frustration that Spezza could never live up to his potential and/or his talk, I would think it would be on the day you trade him. But who knows.

89Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I dunno. From everything he's ever said, BM always seems to have had a blind eye to Spezza's more apparent failings. If there were ever a time to express your frustration that Spezza could never live up to his potential and/or his talk, I would think it would be on the day you trade him. But who knows.
if you listen to those interviews after the season was done you can tell BM doesn't sound like he's happy with Jason. if you ask me Hockey politics took over and the rest is history.

90Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why are we still talking about Spezza?

91Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Murray went to bat for Spezza until the day he was traded, I am not sure if he truly believed in the guy or just didn't want to admit he was wrong but towards the end I don't believe he wanted Spezza around anymore than Spezza wanted to be around.

92Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not sure why Murray said that. There's almost no scenario where the Sens could offer him a 5-7 year contract at 7 million plus per. It doesn't make sense at all. If it was true, I bet Murray offered him a contract at 5.5 a year or less.

93Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not sure why Murray said that.  There's almost no scenario where the Sens could offer him a 5-7 year contract at 7 million plus per.  It doesn't make sense at all.  If it was true, I bet Murray offered him a contract at 5.5 a year or less.  

3 prospects (one NHL ready) and a 2nd rd pick in a deep draft. Spezza hasn't signed an extension. I think we won this trade hands down.

Stone and Chiasson are big x-factors on where this team stands at the end of the season. And let's hope Paul makes the WJHC and shows he's a legitimate prospect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum