GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

+12
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_lcap238%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_lcap250%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

16Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

This is Karlsson's team, there is not a whole lot of debating that.  Like Flo said you can't give it to a younger guy and then strip it from him when people may feel Karlsson is more prepared. 

There are 2 choices, it's Phillips and Karlsson, there isn't a 3rd choice or option.  Anyone who believes it's going to Turris, Methot, MacArthur, whoever else is seriously kidding themselves.

17Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Karlsson all the way. Philips is fine but enough with transitioning captains. The young core is shaping up for the long term and so should the leadership.

18Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote: Only thing Spezza and Karlsson have in common is they both play a skilled game, all comparisons stop there.

I'd really love to agree with you, but there's that small matter of cheating on his wife. And please don't tell me that the difference between them is that one is cocky and the other confident. Karlsson was way more cocky than Spezza. They both have confidence but Spezza's eroded as his health/fitness level decreased. There were tons of shifts/games last year where I was wondering where Karlsson's confidence went -- he was still cocky as hell, though.

As much as I want Karlsson to be the Captain (and I think he will be), I don't think being the face of the franchise is a good reason for it (Ovechkin, Spezza, Giroux, RNH).

Look at Chicago -- you've got Kane and Toews. Karlsson is more like a Kane, whereas someone like Lazar is more like a Toews. And I'm in no-way advocating for giving the 'C' to Lazar. But maybe the best thing is to either give it to Phillips for 2 years or just go with three 'A's until a leader emerges. Because at this point in time Karlsson ain't it.

19Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

LeKing wrote:Karlsson all the way. Philips is fine but enough with transitioning captains. The young core is shaping up for the long term and so should the leadership.

Exactly, better Karlsson has some support from a guy like Phillips RIGHT NOW vs getting the "C" in 2, 3 years time and having no experience in that role when he may have to lean on something that he could possibly be learning or experiencing now.  Transition/rebuild time is over, it's time to cement guys in certain spots and right now Karlsson needs that "C" and more so the Sens need him to have it.  Whether he is ready or not is totally irrelevant.

20Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote: Only thing Spezza and Karlsson have in common is they both play a skilled game, all comparisons stop there.

I'd really love to agree with you, but there's that small matter of cheating on his wife.  And please don't tell me that the difference between them is that one is cocky and the other confident. Karlsson was way more cocky than Spezza.  They both have confidence but Spezza's eroded as his health/fitness level decreased.  There were tons of shifts/games last year where I was wondering where Karlsson's confidence went -- he was still cocky as hell, though.

As much as I want Karlsson to be the Captain (and I think he will be), I don't think being the face of the franchise is a good reason for it (Ovechkin, Spezza, Giroux, RNH).  

Look at Chicago -- you've got Kane and Toews.  Karlsson is more like a Kane, whereas someone like Lazar is more like a Toews.  And I'm in no-way advocating for giving the 'C' to Lazar.  But maybe the best thing is to either give it to Phillips for 2 years or just go with three 'A's until a leader emerges.  Because at this point in time Karlsson ain't it.

iI that mattered in the least the NHL would be void of NHL captains and sports in general.  Also, I don't really care if you believe me or not but Karlsson does not come off as cocky, never has.  He carries himself with confidence and there is nothing wrong with that other than people who envy that and can't find the distinct difference between the two.  Spezza was cocky as cocky can get and that's why his work ethic lacked as well.  Karlsson's does not.

21Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:This is Karlsson's team, there is not a whole lot of debating that.  Like Flo said you can't give it to a younger guy and then strip it from him when people may feel Karlsson is more prepared. 

There are 2 choices, it's Phillips and Karlsson, there isn't a 3rd choice or option.  Anyone who believes it's going to Turris, Methot, MacArthur, whoever else is seriously kidding themselves.

Will you change your mind when Ryan is signed? You were one of those pushing for him as the Captain, as I recall. Something I don't agree with, by the way -- I think Ryan would much rather stay out of the spotlight.

If Lazar was an every day NHLer with 2-3 years I'd probably want to give it to him. I don't think Karlsson is mature enough yet (nor am I confident that he will ever be). He's still living the rockstar life and looks to be really enjoying it.

22Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

LeKing wrote:Karlsson all the way. Philips is fine but enough with transitioning captains. The young core is shaping up for the long term and so should the leadership.

Yeah, I have to agree.

23Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:This is Karlsson's team, there is not a whole lot of debating that.  Like Flo said you can't give it to a younger guy and then strip it from him when people may feel Karlsson is more prepared. 

Will you change your mind when Ryan is signed?  You were one of those pushing for him as the Captain, as I recall.  Something I don't agree with, by the way -- I think Ryan would much rather stay out of the spotlight.

If Lazar was an every day NHLer with 2-3 years I'd probably want to give it to him.  I don't think Karlsson is mature enough yet (nor am I confident that he will ever be).  He's still living the rockstar life and looks to be really enjoying it.  

Nah, Ryan looks like he could be a captain in the right circumstance but again this is Karlsson's team, no one elses.

24Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
iI that mattered in the least the NHL would be void of NHL captains and sports in general.  Also, I don't really care if you believe me or not but Karlsson does not come off as cocky, never has.  He carries himself with confidence and there is nothing wrong with that other than people who envy that and can't find the distinct difference between the two.  Spezza was cocky as cocky can get and that's why his work ethic lacked as well.  Karlsson's does not.

I've called Karlsson cocky since his first DC. First time anyone has taken issue with that.

25Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Voted Karlsson, since the question was who *will* get the C.

26Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I've always said it's confidence and thought from the first real exposure to fans (play, interviews, and everything in between) he would be the captain of the Ottawa Senators.  Never for a second has he ever come off cocky or anything other than supremely confident. 

He like everyone else has off ice issues he had to learn to deal with and last year was obviously tough for him... he got through it and he's moved on.

27Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Phillips is going to get it. Karlsson doesn't want it yet.

28Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I've always said it's confidence and thought from the first real exposure to fans (play, interviews, and everything in between) he would be the captain of the Ottawa Senators.  Never for a second has he ever come off cocky or anything other than supremely confident. 

He like everyone else has off ice issues he had to learn to deal with and last year was obviously tough for him... he got through it and he's moved on.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cocky
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cocky
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cocky
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cocky

All of the above use "confident" in their definition of "cocky". Confident with a smile could be considered cocky (whereas Toews never smiles).

29Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Phillips is going to get it. Karlsson doesn't want it yet.

Sure he does.

30Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I've always said it's confidence and thought from the first real exposure to fans (play, interviews, and everything in between) he would be the captain of the Ottawa Senators.  Never for a second has he ever come off cocky or anything other than supremely confident. 

All of the above use "confident" in their definition of "cocky".  Confident with a smile could be considered cocky (whereas Toews never smiles).  

Smiles are fine, smerks are what bugs the hell out of me.  Might be a slight difference but body language is everything and it's fairly easy to pick up on.  Karlsson comes off as a happy go lucky kind of guy... Spezza comes off as a complete a**hole and always has.  Even worse in person.

31Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

All of the above use "confident" in their definition of "cocky".  Confident with a smile could be considered cocky (whereas Toews never smiles).  

Smiles are fine, smerks are what bugs the hell out of me.  Might be a slight difference but body language is everything and it's fairly easy to pick up on.  Karlsson comes off as a happy go lucky kind of guy... Spezza comes off as a complete a**hole and always has.  Even worse in person.

It's really not complicated. One concept entails the other, while the other stands on its own. You can't be cocky without being confident, but you can be confident without being cocky.

32Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Exactly.  Karlsson pulls it off well, hard not to like the guy.  Spezza, hard to like him, period.

33Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ok, so i think there's plenty of points being made about who should wear the C as it stands there's more or less two camps.
the "phillips" and the "karlssons"
but where does it go after that? who weras the A's?

I for one would maybe take the A away from chris Neal. probably won't happen as management has way too much loyalty to whoever is the old guard but i think i'd move on.
if karlsson is captain i'd make Phillips and Turris A's (with probably making Lazar the other A when phillips is no longer a sens) and if phillips is the captain(god forbid) then it has to be karlsson and turris.
Just not chris neil. he'll lead as he's always done but time to step down.
anyone else?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum