GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

+12
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_lcap238%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_lcap250%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I've always said it's confidence and thought from the first real exposure to fans (play, interviews, and everything in between) he would be the captain of the Ottawa Senators.  Never for a second has he ever come off cocky or anything other than supremely confident. 

He like everyone else has off ice issues he had to learn to deal with and last year was obviously tough for him... he got through it and he's moved on.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cocky
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cocky
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cocky
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cocky

All of the above use "confident" in their definition of "cocky".  Confident with a smile could be considered cocky (whereas Toews never smiles).  

Smiles are fine, smerks are what bugs the hell out of me.  Might be a slight difference but body language is everything and it's fairly easy to pick up on.  Karlsson comes off as a happy go lucky kind of guy... Spezza comes off as a complete a**hole and always has.  Even worse in person.

It's really not complicated. One concept entails the other, while the other stands on its own. You can't be cocky without being confident, but you can be confident without being cocky.

32Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Exactly.  Karlsson pulls it off well, hard not to like the guy.  Spezza, hard to like him, period.

33Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ok, so i think there's plenty of points being made about who should wear the C as it stands there's more or less two camps.
the "phillips" and the "karlssons"
but where does it go after that? who weras the A's?

I for one would maybe take the A away from chris Neal. probably won't happen as management has way too much loyalty to whoever is the old guard but i think i'd move on.
if karlsson is captain i'd make Phillips and Turris A's (with probably making Lazar the other A when phillips is no longer a sens) and if phillips is the captain(god forbid) then it has to be karlsson and turris.
Just not chris neil. he'll lead as he's always done but time to step down.
anyone else?

34Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:I've always said it's confidence and thought from the first real exposure to fans (play, interviews, and everything in between) he would be the captain of the Ottawa Senators.  Never for a second has he ever come off cocky or anything other than supremely confident. 

He like everyone else has off ice issues he had to learn to deal with and last year was obviously tough for him... he got through it and he's moved on.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cocky
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cocky
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cocky
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cocky

All of the above use "confident" in their definition of "cocky".  Confident with a smile could be considered cocky (whereas Toews never smiles).  

Smiles are fine, smerks are what bugs the hell out of me.  Might be a slight difference but body language is everything and it's fairly easy to pick up on.  Karlsson comes off as a happy go lucky kind of guy... Spezza comes off as a complete a**hole and always has.  Even worse in person.

What about his brother? Fatt Spezza?

35Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Exactly.  Karlsson pulls it off well, hard not to like the guy.  Spezza, hard to like him, period.

And therein lies the truth.

From all accounts he was liked in the room. You never liked him.

Me, I don't care much -- he's gone, and the issues at hand is the next Captain. I don't think Karlsson is there, maturity-wise. Not sure he will ever get there, frankly, but certainly getting your hand caught in the cookie jar so early on in your marriage does not scream maturity.

36Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
What about his brother? Fatt Spezza?

Fatt Matt was called out by Lehner to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I've got to think that's a positive for Matt, so I wonder if Lehner did that to get a discount on a car.

37Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:44 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:Exactly.  Karlsson pulls it off well, hard not to like the guy.  Spezza, hard to like him, period.

And therein lies the truth.

From all accounts he was liked in the room.  You never liked him.  

Me, I don't care much -- he's gone, and the issues at hand is the next Captain.  I don't think Karlsson is there, maturity-wise.  Not sure he will ever get there, frankly, but certainly getting your hand caught in the cookie jar so early on in your marriage does not scream maturity.

Not all and that's been stated time and time again.  Liking him as a person vs a hockey player and professional are different and even then I know there are a lot of people that can't stand him.

38Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:ok, so i think there's plenty of points being made about who should wear the C as it stands there's more or less two camps.
the "phillips" and the "karlssons"
but where does it go after that? who weras the A's?

I for one would maybe take the A away from chris Neal. probably won't happen as management has way too much loyalty to whoever is the old guard but i think i'd move on.
if karlsson is captain i'd make Phillips and Turris A's (with probably making Lazar the other A when phillips is no longer a sens) and if phillips is the captain(god forbid) then it has to be karlsson and turris.
Just not chris neil. he'll lead as he's always done but time to step down.
anyone else?

Yeah I was thinking the same. Definitely Karlsson or Phillips - whoever isn't c, but after that there are a number off rear candidates. I'm not sure I'd take it off Neil personally as much as I'd love to see Turris with it.

39Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is there a limit on As?

40Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't think so.

41Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Remember when the Habs went without a C to see who would step up? Then they put the C on Gionta. At least in our case we didn't wait to see who would step up -- we gave it to the wrong guy right away, and then figured it out just as quickly.

42Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

This is tricky business, this dealing with a leadership & team in a veteran-to-youth transitional stage, as we're seeing in SJ.

Phillips and Neil have been good soldiers and are good leaders, but they are not the future (or even the present, really) of this team. If you could erase/forget everything else and just focus on the play on the ice last year, you'd probably have to divvy up the 2 As and C between Karlsson, Turris, and MacArthur. But that's a tough move to make. But if you give it to Phillips, it sends a weird message about no culture change ('more of the same') and doesn't acknowledge the clear movement toward youth ('more of the old guard'). And it also looks like he's just a placeholder.

Lots of potential for hurt feelings here. The optics of what SJ is doing right now are bad, largely because it sounds like they didn't talk to Thornton or Marleau about this, but it also is a powerful statement about breaking with the past and seeing who steps up to lead.

It will take some savvy management of people, feelings, expectations, etc., to hit the right note with all this, inside the dressing room and with the larger public.

43Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:06 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't agree that giving Phillips the C would indicate that there is no culture change. I don't think there are any more country club culture guys on the team anymore. I have always thought Phillips and Neil were separate from the "Spezza club".

But I don't mind him not getting the C. In fact I don't care too much who gets it as I think this team is now loaded with quality guys and quality leaders who mean business.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can hurt too many feelings as guys know who the leaders are even if they aren't wearing a letter, and guys know there are only so few letters available. The letter system is kind of weird when you think about it. I wonder if they ever though of abolishing it.

44Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Phillips isn't part of the past yet. He's still part of the present with a fresh extension to confirm this.

Ideally, The Alfie would have been Captain and Karlsson would have been undeniably ready by the time he vacated the C. The Alfie's departure is what caused this captaincy dilemma and now things won't be so smooth.

Phillips has earned the right to wear the C even if it's only for one year and Karlsson has a lot more to learn about being a leader an extra year or two won't hurt. The youth movement can use some experienced leadership anyway.

45Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Phillips isn't part of the past yet. He's still part of the present with a fresh extension to confirm this.

Ideally, The Alfie would have been Captain and Karlsson would have been undeniably ready by the time he vacated the C. The Alfie's departure is what caused this captaincy dilemma and now things won't be so smooth.

Phillips has earned the right to wear the C even if it's only for one year and Karlsson has a lot more to learn about being a leader an extra year or two won't hurt. The youth movement can use some experienced leadership anyway.

That's a refreshingly well thought out post SSF. I can agree with this - although again, Phillips is a placeholder and you might as well make the change to the youth leadership core.

Still, it makes sense either way. If they go with Phillips, no one would blink.

46Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:BUDGET Mystery trade? Sunday Swirlings, shabber? DA Rickey on the bump. Source? Sausage gravy? BUDGET Statspadzza more to come BUDGET

That's a refreshingly well thought out post SSF.  I can agree with this - although again, Phillips is a placeholder and you might as well make the change to the youth leadership core.

Still, it makes sense either way.  If they go with Phillips, no one would blink.

Really? Thanks!

47Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:23 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:BUDGET Mystery trade? Sunday Swirlings, shabber? DA Rickey on the bump. Source? Sausage gravy? BUDGET Statspadzza more to come BUDGET

That's a refreshingly well thought out post SSF.  I can agree with this - although again, Phillips is a placeholder and you might as well make the change to the youth leadership core.

Still, it makes sense either way.  If they go with Phillips, no one would blink.

Really? Thanks!

as usual old friend

48Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:03 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Phillips isn't part of the past yet. He's still part of the present with a fresh extension to confirm this.

Bang on.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum