GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

+12
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_lcap238%Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_lcap250%Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_lcap20%Who will get the C in Ottawa? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We're getting close to that time. Call your shot!

I'll change my original opinion (Phillips) and say Karlsson.

2Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Phillips

3Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would hope they learned their lesson with Spezza and give the C to someone who deserves it rather than give the C to someone and hope they transform into a solid leader and Captain after the C is stitched onto their jersey. I'll say Phillips. It makes the most sense. Phillips with the C for 2 seasons and at that point they have more options and they have the chance to see who deserves it by then.

- Unknown Author

4Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I would hope they learned their lesson with Spezza and give the C to someone who deserves it rather than give the C to someone and hope they transform into a solid leader and Captain after the C is stitched onto their jersey.  I'll say Phillips.  It makes the most sense.  Phillips with the C for 2 seasons and at that point they have more options and they have the chance to see who deserves it by then.

Phillips was always the guy who made sense after Alfie. Like *ahem* I said 4~ years ago. Smile

5Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'll say Karlsson, he carries himself in a way fitting of a captain.  He will never be the gritty, in your face captain that some people want but neither was Alfie and that worked out pretty well for over a decade.  He needs time to develop into that role and he needs to be the face of the franchise going forward in all aspects.  Now is the time to make the complete transition to the new core and that new core includes their new franchise captain.

I like Phillips but I see no reason why he should get it.

6Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:I'll say Karlsson, he carries himself in a way fitting of a captain.  He will never be the gritty, in your face captain that some people want but neither was Alfie and that worked out pretty well for over a decade.  He needs time to develop into that role and he needs to be the face of the franchise going forward in all aspects.  Now is the time to make the complete transition to the new core and that new core includes their new franchise captain.

That's how I look at it as well. Karlsson really carries himself well. His interviews have a feeling of sincerity to them and he clearly believes in his team and his teammates and himself. Phillips would be a fine choice, but he'd just be a placeholder for Karlsson. Might as well transition this team from the old guard to the new.

7Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'll say Turris. Even though I don't don't think he will be chosen I think he'd be the best case right now.
I think it could easily be Karlsson a few years from now I don't feel he's ready. But then how do you make him captain and strip Turris. Doesn't make sense. I just can't see Phillips as a good option. I'm hoping then that they make Karlsson right away if it's between the two.

8Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I'll say Karlsson, he carries himself in a way fitting of a captain.  He will never be the gritty, in your face captain that some people want but neither was Alfie and that worked out pretty well for over a decade.  He needs time to develop into that role and he needs to be the face of the franchise going forward in all aspects.  Now is the time to make the complete transition to the new core and that new core includes their new franchise captain.

If Phillips was going to get it, it should have been last year. Spezza was always a dumb choice, chosen only for marketing purposes and with an eye to keeping him happy. This year, no clue. Phillips, Karlsson, Turris are all sensible candidates. Karlsson or Turris would signal the full scale youth movement & new team identity, tho'.

9Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I personally don't think Karlsson is mature enough to take the role of captain and I think it's a bad move to give him the C to have him grow into the role and mature with it. Phillips is the perfect transition choice and, who knows, maybe in 2 years someone else will emerge as the right choice for captain.

- Unknown Author

10Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:58 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

That's how I look at it as well.  Karlsson really carries himself well.  His interviews have a feeling of sincerity to them and he clearly believes in his team and his teammates and himself.  Phillips would be a fine choice, but he'd just be a placeholder for Karlsson.  Might as well transition this team from the old guard to the new.

He also speaks and walks with confidence much like Alfie did.  Spezza walked with cockyness, immaturity, and a false sense of entitlement.   Only thing Spezza and Karlsson have in common is they both play a skilled game, all comparisons stop there.  Karlsson works his a$$ off, will play hard in every situation, is the teams best player, and he's a guy IMO others are willing to follow. 

Every captain leads in a different way, Karlsson will find his niche because people are drawn to him and again he carries himself like a pro and has instant credibility and respect because of the way he speaks, the way he plays, and the way he generally carries himself.

11Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I personally don't think Karlsson is mature enough to take the role of captain and I think it's a bad move to give him the C to have him grow into the role and mature with it.  Phillips is the perfect transition choice and, who knows, maybe in 2 years someone else will emerge as the right choice for captain.
What is this based on?  What in Karlsson's game shows an immaturity other than what can only be described as inexperience, there's a huge difference.

Phillips isn't a guy that can lead that team, a team based on speed, skill, and youth.  What can he possibly provide in that role?  Only reason to give it to Phillips is because you don't want to give it to Karlsson right now... there is literally no merit to Phillips getting on or off the ice at this point.

12Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:

If Phillips was going to get it, it should have been last year. Spezza was always a dumb choice, chosen only for marketing purposes and with an eye to keeping him happy. This year, no clue. Phillips, Karlsson, Turris are all sensible candidates. Karlsson or Turris would signal the full scale youth movement & new team identity, tho'.

Exactly, time for Phillips to get it was last year... a lot has changed since then from the players, management, and the on ice product.  It's a youth movement now that's in full swing and a guy who is almost a PPG guy on the back end, a Norris Trophy winner, a no brainer all-star, teams best player, teams franchise player, and a guy that carries himself extremely well on and off the ice is the way to go.  Turris isn't a guy I lay that "C" on, guy will wear an "A" for sure but not sold on him being a guy everyone will follow.

13Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

This is Karlsson's team, there is not a whole lot of debating that.  Like Flo said you can't give it to a younger guy and then strip it from him when people may feel Karlsson is more prepared. 

There are 2 choices, it's Phillips and Karlsson, there isn't a 3rd choice or option.  Anyone who believes it's going to Turris, Methot, MacArthur, whoever else is seriously kidding themselves.

14Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Karlsson all the way. Philips is fine but enough with transitioning captains. The young core is shaping up for the long term and so should the leadership.

15Who will get the C in Ottawa? Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote: Only thing Spezza and Karlsson have in common is they both play a skilled game, all comparisons stop there.

I'd really love to agree with you, but there's that small matter of cheating on his wife. And please don't tell me that the difference between them is that one is cocky and the other confident. Karlsson was way more cocky than Spezza. They both have confidence but Spezza's eroded as his health/fitness level decreased. There were tons of shifts/games last year where I was wondering where Karlsson's confidence went -- he was still cocky as hell, though.

As much as I want Karlsson to be the Captain (and I think he will be), I don't think being the face of the franchise is a good reason for it (Ovechkin, Spezza, Giroux, RNH).

Look at Chicago -- you've got Kane and Toews. Karlsson is more like a Kane, whereas someone like Lazar is more like a Toews. And I'm in no-way advocating for giving the 'C' to Lazar. But maybe the best thing is to either give it to Phillips for 2 years or just go with three 'A's until a leader emerges. Because at this point in time Karlsson ain't it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum