GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

+12
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
wprager
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
NEELY
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who will get the C in Ottawa?

Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_lcap238%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_lcap250%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_lcap26%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_lcap20%Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:This is tricky business, this dealing with a leadership & team in a veteran-to-youth transitional stage, as we're seeing in SJ.

Phillips and Neil have been good soldiers and are good leaders, but they are not the future (or even the present, really) of this team. If you could erase/forget everything else and just focus on the play on the ice last year, you'd probably have to divvy up the 2 As and C between Karlsson, Turris, and MacArthur. But that's a tough move to make. But if you give it to Phillips, it sends a weird message about no culture change ('more of the same') and doesn't acknowledge the clear movement toward youth ('more of the old guard'). And it also looks like he's just a placeholder.

Lots of potential for hurt feelings here. The optics of what SJ is doing right now are bad, largely because it sounds like they didn't talk to Thornton or Marleau about this, but it also is a powerful statement about breaking with the past and seeing who steps up to lead.

It will take some savvy management of people, feelings, expectations, etc., to hit the right note with all this, inside the dressing room and with the larger public.

Doesn't this contradict the give it to Philips coment you just made?

I should have prefaced that last post with a 'you know what, I've changed my mind on this.' I have. Phillips, done.

And this seemed to be your final answer on the subject. Did you see this one, Dr. Poo?

107Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The important thing is the right people got letters. Honestly, to have as many legitimate candidates for the "C" is nothing but encouraging. One guy who wasn't even in the discussion for obvious reasons was Legwand. Captain material if not for the fact that he'll just be passing through instead of being here for years. Lots of leadership top to bottom.

108Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't help feel like the next purge is the final one where Neil and Phillips play it out and pass the letters to Turris and BFR or whoever.

109Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, my money was on BigRig getting the "C". So, I'm surprised.

But, I guess, looking back... if BigRig was to ever get the "C", it would have happened before Spezza. Spezza getting the "C" should have been the clue to me that BigRig was never going to get it.

EK is the future, no doubt. I hope he's able to take this and fly with it. I certainly don't have the same fears as I did when Spezza got it. That's for sure. I've never questioned EK's effort on the ice.

GO SENS GO.

110Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:01 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:The important thing is the right people got letters.

Wrong. The important thing here is publicly pointing out all the people that were wrong. I had it wrong too. As did Poo, as did Ev.

111Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:This is tricky business, this dealing with a leadership & team in a veteran-to-youth transitional stage, as we're seeing in SJ.

Phillips and Neil have been good soldiers and are good leaders, but they are not the future (or even the present, really) of this team. If you could erase/forget everything else and just focus on the play on the ice last year, you'd probably have to divvy up the 2 As and C between Karlsson, Turris, and MacArthur. But that's a tough move to make. But if you give it to Phillips, it sends a weird message about no culture change ('more of the same') and doesn't acknowledge the clear movement toward youth ('more of the old guard'). And it also looks like he's just a placeholder.

Lots of potential for hurt feelings here. The optics of what SJ is doing right now are bad, largely because it sounds like they didn't talk to Thornton or Marleau about this, but it also is a powerful statement about breaking with the past and seeing who steps up to lead.

It will take some savvy management of people, feelings, expectations, etc., to hit the right note with all this, inside the dressing room and with the larger public.

Doesn't this contradict the give it to Philips coment you just made?

I should have prefaced that last post with a 'you know what, I've changed my mind on this.' I have. Phillips, done.

And this seemed to be your final answer on the subject.  Did you see this one, Dr. Poo?  

Sure did. But like I said in the post immediately above, this is Karlsson's, MacArthur's, Turris's, and Ryan's team and everyone knows it, regardless of who gets the C pinned on them. I kinda feel for Phillips actually and thought he would get it based on sentimentality, but I'm not surprised or disappointed to see it go this way. Karlsson is clearly the present and future of this team.

112Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:04 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I can't help feel like the next purge is the final one where Neil and Phillips play it out and pass the letters to Turris and BFR or whoever.

Agreed. That is the next move -- the "A"s passing to the likes of Mac, Turris, Ryan, etc. 1-2 years away, I'd guess.

113Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The important thing is the right people got letters.

Wrong. The important thing here is publicly pointing out all the people that were wrong.  I had it wrong too.  As did Poo, as did Ev.

I think today is all about celebrating all the good moves this franchise has done for years, which just so happens to mean exposing the BUDGET!!! crisis for exactly what it was -- the mythical formulation of a small group of ill informed bloggers and their naive followers. OTT invests in its core, period. There can be no debating that point any longer.

114Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

did they annouce they were sticking with Phillips and Neil as assistants? i mean i understand how it could feel like a giant smack in the face if they took these letters from them but i'd like to see those letters passed on to Turris and well the second is really up for debate: bobby rye, mac, probably lazar if it gets done a few years from now.

115Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:did they annouce they were sticking with Phillips and Neil as assistants? i mean i understand how it could feel like a giant smack in the face if they took these letters from them but i'd like to see those letters passed on to Turris and well the second is really up for debate: bobby rye, mac, probably lazar if it gets done a few years from now.

Yeah, they have announced Phillips and Neil as the "A"s.

116Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Flo The Action wrote:did they annouce they were sticking with Phillips and Neil as assistants? i mean i understand how it could feel like a giant smack in the face if they took these letters from them but i'd like to see those letters passed on to Turris and well the second is really up for debate: bobby rye, mac, probably lazar if it gets done a few years from now.

Tough s*it man... Phillips and Neil for all their warts are still leaders in that room and true professionals. They might not deserve the "C" but they sure as hell don't deserve to have their letters taken away.

117Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:40 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Trying to find the post where I said Karlsson was the future captain when he was 19 or 20 and just talking in an interview. Can't find it.

118Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Trying to find the post where I said Karlsson was the future captain when he was 19 or 20 and just talking in an interview. Can't find it.

That's really a shame, it's great to see you pat yourself on the back.

119Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Thanks! I try to do it as often as I can and ignore the negative in life.

120Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:02 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Came to gmh in light of today's exciting announcements only to find a pissing contest ensue on who called what first....Cussing rtarded u guys

I was of the opinion phillips would get the 'C' but Karlsson is a fine choice. The more i heard his interviews since he got back to ottawa, the more I was convinced he was ready. The new era is here folks.

121Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:04 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Came to gmh in light of today's exciting announcements only to find a pissing contest ensue on who called what first....Cussing rtarded u guys

I was of the opinion phillips would get the 'C' but Karlsson is a fine choice.  The more i heard his interviews since he got back to ottawa, the more I was convinced he was ready.  The new era is here folks.

You new here? Laugh1

Best post of the day so far. (excluding my own) (as usual)

122Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:Came to gmh in light of today's exciting announcements only to find a pissing contest ensue on who called what first....Cussing rtarded u guys

I was of the opinion phillips would get the 'C' but Karlsson is a fine choice.  The more i heard his interviews since he got back to ottawa, the more I was convinced he was ready.  The new era is here folks.

People blabbed on and on and on about the budget for months. I reasoned, I debated, I pleaded, but it was more and more of the same. At month 4 or whatever it was, I said in series of posts here, that's enough of this, when this gets settled the way I'm pretty confident it will, then I'm gloating and you're going to listen to it for as long as I had to hear about THE BUDGET CRISIS OF 2014!!! (RIP).

So, here we are, and that's how we got here. Buckle up, I'm only in day one here. I've got at least 4 more months to go.

123Who will get the C in Ottawa? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who will get the C in Ottawa? Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let's all get back to the real issue at hand...

#TheCondraSituation

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum