GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender?

+11
sandysensfan
Devo
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
SensGirl11
asq2
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender?

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_lcap25%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_rcap2 5% [ 3 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_lcap25%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_rcap2 5% [ 3 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_lcap214%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_rcap2 14% [ 8 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_lcap252%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_rcap2 52% [ 29 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_lcap223%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Vote_rcap2 23% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 56

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Empty When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There seems to be some wide ranging opinions on this very subject so I thought I'd put this one up as a poll question. Some of us think this year and even next year the Senators will be a non-playoff team. Some believe we can still challenge for the division title and have home ice to start the playoffs. Have your say in here and don't forget to vote.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total

- Unknown Author

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I am not thoroughly convinced that they'll contend anytime soon.

Too many pieces must fall into place for them.

I will acknowledge that Leclaire is an improvement over our past goaltenders, but he on his own is certainly not enough.

Kovalev is rounding into a bigger enigma than anyone could have imagined. You see flashes of brilliance, followed by long stretches of nothing. I don't think the 10 million he's being paid over the next two years is worth flashes of brilliance.

I really like Michalek and Carkner, but neither of these two is going to put us anywhere near the top.

Spezza continues his development, and is becoming the leader he was projected to be, but at 7 million or so a season, is doing so really expensively.

Fisher is having a career year so far, but unless he develops into a 80- 100 point player, his impact won't get us to the promised land.

Alfredsson continues to defy the ageing process, and is outstanding at anything he does, but he cannot do it all.

Cowen, Karlsson, Wiercoch and Lehner are all promising prospects, but their true impact IMO is still quite a few years away.

Perhaps the situation would improve if there were some MAJOR changes, perhaps even involving J Spezza.....

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:I am not thoroughly convinced that they'll contend anytime soon.

Too many pieces must fall into place for them.

I will acknowledge that Leclaire is an improvement over our past goaltenders, but he on his own is certainly not enough.

Kovalev is rounding into a bigger enigma than anyone could have imagined. You see flashes of brilliance, followed by long stretches of nothing. I don't think the 10 million he's being paid over the next two years is worth flashes of brilliance.

I really like Michalek and Carkner, but neither of these two is going to put us anywhere near the top.

Spezza continues his development, and is becoming the leader he was projected to be, but at 7 million or so a season, is doing so really expensively.

Fisher is having a career year so far, but unless he develops into a 80- 100 point player, his impact won't get us to the promised land.

Alfredsson continues to defy the ageing process, and is outstanding at anything he does, but he cannot do it all.

Cowen, Karlsson, Wiercoch and Lehner are all promising prospects, but their true impact IMO is still quite a few years away.

Perhaps the situation would improve if there were some MAJOR changes, perhaps even involving J Spezza.....

This coming from a guy who thinks the Leafs have a shot at the playoff this season. Laugh1

Seriously though. All valid points. Karlsson, Weircioch, Cowen and Lehner are all unknown commodities. Assuming stars align and they all reach their potential then look out because nothing's getting through that D or goatending. On Offense you have proven guys like Alfredsson and Spezza who are 90 plus point guys. Fisher is having a career year but should be counted on for 45ish points a season at least and he proves his worth once the playoffs hit. Michalek is likely going to be a regular 70 plus point guy. Then there's unknowns like Regin and Foligno who will need to be counted on for 50 plus. Glass half full would say there's enough pieces in place that the Senators could contend in 2012/13. Even if only one or two of those 4 turn into all star D men we're in great shape.

- Unknown Author

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

2012-2013:

The three defencemen will be 22/21.

I'm as big a fan of them as anybody on this site, but they definitely won't be Lidstrom - Rafalski - Kronwall at that age, if ever. Lidstrom is maybe the third best defenceman of all-time.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:2012-2013:

I'm as big a fan of them as anybody on this site, but they definitely won't be Lidstrom - Rafalski - Kronwall at that age, if ever. Lidstrom is maybe the third best defenceman of all-time.

I certainly never meant to suggest that they would be Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwal. I only meant to suggest that they could dominante in the defensive zone, as a unit, in a similiar way as that Detroit group has been able to do.

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I believe we will be contenders in 2012-2013, that should be a very sick year for us, I'm looking forward to it! Not much more that is going to happen until then. Karlsson and Cowen need to learn the ways of the NHL next season and the following season they should be much better and more comfortable. Foligno and Regin are only going to get better. Alfie will start to slow down but he'll still be good to go (I hope) and Fisher should be even more solidified by then. Hopefully A-Train gets signed soon (it's obvious that he's all we have on D and we can't win without him). He will be paired with one of Wiericoch or Cowen or stay with Phillips. Michalek will be nice and comfortable on this team and should be a bonafide star by then (could easily take Alfie's place if he retires by then). Lehner will be a MONSTER! Watch out!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

12/13 is a little optimistic, but 13/14 should be the beginning of a very competitive squad, 12/13 should be the beginning of the beginning of that squad. Laugh1

A lot of things need to happen before Ottawa contends in 2012/13, a lot. A playoff spot is obviously possible but unless The East is the East of 06/07 which I doubt it will be, then Ottawa wont be there contending.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think, like others, 2012/13 will probably be our best chance in the next few years... but it all depends on what pieces fall into place, does our D get better, more mobile etc... lots of pressure on Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch to break through. But, before we can contend, we need to do something about our Top 6... it's still not complete. We're missing pieces at forward and D... between the pipes, Leclaire/Elliott/Lehner provide some good hope for the future but both Elliott's and Leclaire's contracts expire after next season... we could either be set in goal or be back where we started depending on how things go.

Very hard to predict with the current lay of the land.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As soon as we put together a consistent top 2 lines. You can throw out all the names you want. If they don't fit together we'll be in for more of the same Dung for years to come.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:12/13 is a little optimistic, but 13/14 should be the beginning of a very competitive squad, 12/13 should be the beginning of the beginning of that squad. Laugh1
The beginning of the beginning... heh heh.

Is there an end of the beginning then?

Wink

Deep thoughts...

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
asq2 wrote:2012-2013:

I certainly never meant to suggest that they would be Lidstrom, Rafalski and Kronwal. I only meant to suggest that they could dominante in the defensive zone, as a unit, in a similiar way as that Detroit group has been able to do.

What does "similar" mean? I took it to mean of a similar calibre. If that's the case, it's going to take a lot longer than 4 years to get to that level, if they ever do.

But there is the potential for them to carry a system like Detroit's, certainly.

2010/2011 will be the Sens' year to contend.

- Alfie/Spezz/Michalek will continue to roll and improve together
-Foligno will finally be a power forward with Fish and Kovalev/Cheechoo/Ruutu/Kelly's salaries will help finance an offensively-gifted, smooth skating goal scorer
-Regin will develop his offensive game with Zac Smith and the 2009-10 first round pick rounding out a very talented two-way third line
- Fourth line run by the energy of Bass, Neil, and O'Brien
- Vet leadership of Kuba and Phillips runs off on the Sens young core
-Leclaire signs extension and proves he is the best goalie in Sens history

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

So who's on defence?

Right now, my actual and literal guess for the defense next year is.

Lee/Phillips
Karlsson/Kuba
Carkner/Cowen

I dont think it's that big of a stretch and could actually be better then what we have this year with a healthy defense.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum