GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender?

+11
sandysensfan
Devo
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
SensGirl11
asq2
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender?

When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_lcap25%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 3 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_lcap25%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 3 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_lcap214%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 8 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_lcap252%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 52% [ 29 ]
When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_lcap223%When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 56

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:His figures aren't all that surprising. It's been discussed for a while that he's going to be a consistent 20+ goalscorer on the blue-line.

I don't think he'll hit 38, though. When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 270956

Can he start getting some assists as well though?

He'll probably rack up more assists now that Kovalchuk is paired up with him again on the point for the powerplay.

I'd say that's the scariest powerplay point tandem in the league, but you don't even have to leave the division to find a more frightening one in Green - Ovechkin.

Weird that in Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, St. Louis and Staal, all the teams in the SE have a star forward on the point on the powerplay. Except Florida, but that's because they don't have a star forward. When does Ottawa become a Cup Contender? - Page 4 159628

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:So you risk letting him go for nothing and not signing him...

Their probably closer than we all realize. Be done by Jan 1st, or he's gonzo.

EDIT: The minute that happens, one of Kuba or Phillips is gone next year - probably Kuba at the deadline.

Phillips isnt going anywhere. Kuba might be gone though.

Anyways, if A Train is unsgined and Sens are out (realistically) of the playoffs, he's gone. Why let a guy like that go for nothing? A Train with that cap hit and as a UFA will get a really solid return come Febuary for teams looking to improve on the back end. Especially like in a place like Chicago or LA where they have a pretty solid D core already and he will slip right in where he belongs and can domiante, that's the 3, 4 pairing, not 1, 2 like in Ottawa.

Define un-signed. Do you mean, unwilling to sign at all?

I mean Chris Neil from last year unsigned.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

At what point in the last year, though? Are we dealing Volchenkov or his rights?

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

What are the rules about signing UFA's. I thought (and I'm likely wrong) that Murray couldn't negotiate with Volchie until Jan 1. Maybe that's RFA's or something to do with age and length of previous contract but there is a rule where the GM can't negotiate with a potential FA until Jan 1. I just can't remember what that rule is.

asq2 wrote:At what point in the last year, though? Are we dealing Volchenkov or his rights?

You're dealing him at or before the deadline. Sens are out, totally unsure whether he will sign or test the market, and teams are bidding for his service.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L and others seem to have more conatcts that I inside the organization, but I've heard that Volchenkov has no interest in going anywhere else, and would prefer to sign in Ottawa.

Much like Neil, make an offer that falls in line with what the market is offering and he signs here.

Devo wrote:What are the rules about signing UFA's. I thought (and I'm likely wrong) that Murray couldn't negotiate with Volchie until Jan 1. Maybe that's RFA's or something to do with age and length of previous contract but there is a rule where the GM can't negotiate with a potential FA until Jan 1. I just can't remember what that rule is.

Rooney is the guy to ask but Rick Nash signed an extention in the summer so...

Devo wrote:N4L and others seem to have more conatcts that I inside the organization, but I've heard that Volchenkov has no interest in going anywhere else, and would prefer to sign in Ottawa.

Much like Neil, make an offer that falls in line with what the market is offering and he signs here.

Neil was seconds away from leaving Ottawa. Also, losing Neil for nothing and losing A Train for nothing are two completely different things and one is obviously a bigger risk then the other.

If A Train signs, that's fantastic, but it shouldnt be more then 3.5 a year on average and it really should be longer then 4, 5 years max.

Again though, do you risk letting it go to the summer and not resigning him... I dont know the in's and outs so I cant say, but losing him for nothing would be a really bitter pill.

N4L wrote:
Devo wrote:What are the rules about signing UFA's. I thought (and I'm likely wrong) that Murray couldn't negotiate with Volchie until Jan 1. Maybe that's RFA's or something to do with age and length of previous contract but there is a rule where the GM can't negotiate with a potential FA until Jan 1. I just can't remember what that rule is.

Rooney is the guy to ask but Rick Nash signed an extention in the summer so...

Thats only for a player entering the first year of UFA status, coming off a 1-year extension in the year prior. In other words, if player x is a RFA for one more year and signs a 1 year contract, you cannot negotiate with him until Jan.1

Happened with Bouwmeester, happened with Kelly...

To be honest, anything can happen. All of our predictions are fruitless for the most part. You need a ton of things to fall into place to win a cup even if you are a contender.

Teams like the Hurricanes, Lightning and Ducks have all won championships in recent years and none of these teams can be considered perenial contenders. The stars align for a one year run and things work out for them.

Teams like Detroit, New Jersey etc... have always had a constant that makes them a cup contender. Detroit has Lidstrom who was the best defenseman in the world for a number of years, a cornerstone of the franchise. New Jersey has Broduer who ss arguably the best goalie of all time.

Without an ultra-elite player, stars have to align for us, like they did a couple of years ago in the cup run. We were an okay team, but we had iced better teams in the past. A couple years before as an example when we had a good Redden, Chara, Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Phillips, young Spezza, young Volchenkov, good Meszaros, etc... That team was unbelievable but the stars didn't align at all.

You have to be good and lucky. It is hard to plan good, lucky is impossible.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

2012/13 -- there may not be a season. That's when the current CBA ends. We all know there will be issues that will be very difficult to solve.

Their new leader is known as a hard-Donkey.

Can this league survive another lost season?

I picked that 2013/14 or later as all of Sens young prospects will be fully developed into good NHL players.. and it will be on. The likes of Wash, Pitts, Chi could be on their downturn since they won't be drafting those high-end players in the top spots due to their on ice successes. Teams have their ups and downs.. hopefully by then Sens will be in their ups.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I originally voted 12/13, but now I'd say 13/14.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we're a contender just by making the playoffs. Anything can happen once you're in.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think we're a contender just by making the playoffs. Anything can happen once you're in.

Yeah, that's how I took the poll question personally. I wouldn't lay tremendous odds on the Sens winning the Cup in 13/14, but I think they can make it into the playoffs and make a team sweat a bit.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

I think it's going to take a couple years to get a new core in place and then an additional couple years for them to get settled in.

So I'll say it will take 4 or 5 years unfortunately...

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

How do you post as a Guest?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Forget it.

I just noticed the timestamps on some of these posts. This is an old thread that has come back to life.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum