GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension

+12
SensHulk
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
rooneypoo
Ev
Oglethorpe
shabbs
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:If I'm the Islanders and Neil hits free agency, I offer him 3 million dollars. He's a guy that can make everyone play a little bigger and add a lot to your team - especially a young one like theirs.

Islanders got Carkner. It doesn't get much bigger than that. As I said already, Carkner didn't fight as much as Neil because he didn't have to.

Actually, yeah, that's a perfect example. If they overpaid for Carkner, imagine them overpaying for a player like Chris Neil?

No, it's because Carkner is a heavyweight and what they've been referring to as a nuclear deterrent (and I have to admit I hate that term in this context). Chris Neil is neither one of those. He may be the heart and soul of the Senators but outside of Ottawa that is not worth as much as it is here.

Again, forget about just the fighting. Neil can play the game, keeps opponents honest, scores 10 goals a year and when the going gets rough, he can keep people in line - combined with being a leader on and off the ice. That's worth 2.75-3 on almost any team. I can list half the league that could use a Chris Neil at 2.75 million. He left 800K per year on the table IMO, so 2.4 million overall. He absolutely left 1.7 on the table, that much I'd bet a lot on. But in the grand scheme, if you're happy playing with an organization, you take a cut, stay and everyone's happy.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension - Page 7 AxmzSHgCQAE7Yhy

He looks happy. What a great character to be keeping for the rest of this retool.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, doesn't look like a guy with a gun to his head, forcing to him to put his signature on a contract that is unfair to him. Sarcasm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lulz Murray has an old person candy jar.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:Yeah, doesn't look like a guy with a gun to his head, forcing to him to put his signature on a contract that is unfair to him. Sarcasm

I'm sure his priority is to be a Senator for life. Doesn't mean that Melnyk is not a cheapskate, though.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Lulz Murray has an old person candy jar.

Does it have those red and white goldfish? Are they stuck together in true old person fashion?!?!?!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Don Brennan ‏@SunDoniB

Chris Neil has signed a 3-year extension that will keep him a Senator until he's 37, I've been told. Believe it's worth $5.75 mil. #nhl#sens

If this is true, it's an amazing signing by the Sens. Love it!! Clapping

It's a good signing for both parties. But let's please stop saying how he took a hometown discount. He's getting very close to $2M on a 3 year deal. Chris Neil is an important cog in the Sens' machine but he is really a 4th line player on a contending team. The reason he's a 3rd line player for us (or was, in the past) was because we had our best 3rd liners playing top-six. Remove the name and ask yourselves if a 4th line making nearly $2M/year on a 3 year deal that likely takes him to the end of his career is something a contending team would do?

I can tell you that Neil thinks he took a big hometown discount. Over 1M per year discount.

Chris Neil is great at what he does. He's great at lacing up skates, catching players with their head down, taking abuse in front of the opposition goal, getting the team and the crowd going. Luckily for him his salary does not depend on his business acumen. If he truly thinks he took a $1M+ home discount then he's taken a few too may to the head.

Neil took close to a million off for sure. I have no doubts some team would offer him 3 mil x 4 years, none. Just like I said Carkner would sign a 3 million dollars contract as well.

Neil is worth 3 mil a year in todays NHL.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:

Chris Neil has signed a 3-year extension that will keep him a Senator until he's 37, I've been told. Believe it's worth $5.75 mil. #nhl#sens

It's a good signing for both parties. But let's please stop saying how he took a hometown discount. He's getting very close to $2M on a 3 year deal. Chris Neil is an important cog in the Sens' machine but he is really a 4th line player on a contending team. The reason he's a 3rd line player for us (or was, in the past) was because we had our best 3rd liners playing top-six. Remove the name and ask yourselves if a 4th line making nearly $2M/year on a 3 year deal that likely takes him to the end of his career is something a contending team would do?

I can tell you that Neil thinks he took a big hometown discount. Over 1M per year discount.

Chris Neil is great at what he does. He's great at lacing up skates, catching players with their head down, taking abuse in front of the opposition goal, getting the team and the crowd going. Luckily for him his salary does not depend on his business acumen. If he truly thinks he took a $1M+ home discount then he's taken a few too may to the head.

Neil took close to a million off for sure. I have no doubts some team would offer him 3 mil x 4 years, none. Just like I said Carkner would sign a 3 million dollars contract as well.

Carkner got 3 million total, not per year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:

1.5 million is not a huge amount either. Can't say I'm all that happy that he's gone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I was gonna say he got more than 3 million.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:If I'm the Islanders and Neil hits free agency, I offer him 3 million dollars. He's a guy that can make everyone play a little bigger and add a lot to your team - especially a young one like theirs.

Islanders got Carkner. It doesn't get much bigger than that. As I said already, Carkner didn't fight as much as Neil because he didn't have to.

Actually, yeah, that's a perfect example. If they overpaid for Carkner, imagine them overpaying for a player like Chris Neil?

No, it's because Carkner is a heavyweight and what they've been referring to as a nuclear deterrent (and I have to admit I hate that term in this context). Chris Neil is neither one of those. He may be the heart and soul of the Senators but outside of Ottawa that is not worth as much as it is here.

I completely disagree with you on this point. And I find your other posting about his business acumen to be borderline insulting and demeaning; as far as being good at catching people with their head down, not a huge fan of that either. By all accounts (e.g.: Chris Stevenson saying on the radio yesterday that numerous teams would be trying to get Neil if he was on the market), Neil would bank in if he appeared on the free agent market and would be able to get a financially better deal. His value is NOT just in Ottawa. I'm just happy he decided to take the home discount and that he'll be staying in Ottawa for the next several years and hopefully complete his career here.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

I completely disagree with you on this point. And I find your other posting about his business acumen to be borderline insulting and demeaning; as far as being good at catching people with their head down, not a huge fan of that either. By all accounts (e.g.: Chris Stevenson saying on the radio yesterday that numerous teams would be trying to get Neil if he was on the market), Neil would bank in if he appeared on the free agent market and would be able to get a financially better deal. His value is NOT just in Ottawa. I'm just happy he decided to take the home discount and that he'll be staying in Ottawa for the next several years and hopefully complete his career here.

What about "he's good at lacing up skates?" How did you like that one?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:

Said Carkner would get a 3 million dollar contract. He did, he got 4.5. That's the point I was making. If Neil went to the open market his contract would be 10 plus mil for sure.

Neil probably turned down 4-6 million to say in Ottawa. That's insane.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm sticking by that he left 2.5 on the table, maybe 3 max. :crossarms:

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm sticking by that he left 2.5 on the table, maybe 3 max. :crossarms:

You don't think Neil could have gotten what Prust got? You have to be joking.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

That's a lotta cake for a guy who basically just has the ability to tie his own skates and hit people that have their heads down. Good thing he doesn't have to fend for himself in the real world.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

Yup. Neil turned down at least 4 million real dollars to stay in Ottawa and play for the Sens based off what guys of his ilk make.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum