GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension

+12
SensHulk
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
rooneypoo
Ev
Oglethorpe
shabbs
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Way to go Neiler....but I actually feel a little bad for Neil. He should have gotten at least the same amount of money as he was getting already. It's peanuts anyways...then to take him down some more...what's the point?

He loves it here and wants to stay? Yeah, he left 1.5 mil on the table IMO, maybe a little more, but sometimes home is where the heart is and there's no reason to rock the boat.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Way to go Neiler....but I actually feel a little bad for Neil. He should have gotten at least the same amount of money as he was getting already. It's peanuts anyways...then to take him down some more...what's the point?

A few more nickels in Cheapskate Melnyk's shorts? Cheap bastard.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Marshy feels his pain eh?

Wink

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Wink

He can't feel it because of his hunger pains since The Gene destroyed his livelihood.

More to come.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Wink

He can't feel it because of his hunger pains since The Gene destroyed his livelihood.

More to come.
He should fill up on a $5 foot long.

Hey-O!!!!!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Wink

More to come.
He should fill up on a $5 foot long.

Hey-O!!!!!

If he could spare the fin, I'm sure he would, old friend.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Don Brennan ‏@SunDoniB

Chris Neil has signed a 3-year extension that will keep him a Senator until he's 37, I've been told. Believe it's worth $5.75 mil. #nhl#sens

If this is true, it's an amazing signing by the Sens. Love it!! Clapping

It's a good signing for both parties. But let's please stop saying how he took a hometown discount. He's getting very close to $2M on a 3 year deal. Chris Neil is an important cog in the Sens' machine but he is really a 4th line player on a contending team. The reason he's a 3rd line player for us (or was, in the past) was because we had our best 3rd liners playing top-six. Remove the name and ask yourselves if a 4th line making nearly $2M/year on a 3 year deal that likely takes him to the end of his career is something a contending team would do?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:This proves my theory that everyone else is dumb.

FYP

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

Chris Neil has signed a 3-year extension that will keep him a Senator until he's 37, I've been told. Believe it's worth $5.75 mil. #nhl#sens

It's a good signing for both parties. But let's please stop saying how he took a hometown discount. He's getting very close to $2M on a 3 year deal. Chris Neil is an important cog in the Sens' machine but he is really a 4th line player on a contending team. The reason he's a 3rd line player for us (or was, in the past) was because we had our best 3rd liners playing top-six. Remove the name and ask yourselves if a 4th line making nearly $2M/year on a 3 year deal that likely takes him to the end of his career is something a contending team would do?

Yes it is. He's a tough player who plays the game the right way and is absolutely invaluable to a contending team in the playoffs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Let me just add, I'm very happy for Neil, and this is an important signing for the Sens team and franchise. You want to reward loyalty and they did.

That said, outside of this market, Neil is just a tough player who can play 4th line minutes on a good team. Now, those minutes could be payed at extremely important times of a game or series, but let's face it Neil is not going to play 15 minutes/night over 82 games and he is not going to score 15 goals. So I can see how people look at this signing as an overpayment. Frankly, I don't mind overpaying guys like this especially when the club can afford to do so.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Matt Carkner just got $4.5 mil / 3 years, or $1.5 mil / yr. Is Chris Neil (a 3rd liner, occasional PP2, 12+-minutes a night guy) significantly more valuable than Carkner (a bottom pairing or 7th D, PKer, 15+ minutes a night)? I'd say yes.

Neil on the open market would command at least what Prust got, per year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Let me just add, I'm very happy for Neil, and this is an important signing for the Sens team and franchise. You want to reward loyalty and they did.

That said, outside of this market, Neil is just a tough player who can play 4th line minutes on a good team. Now, those minutes could be payed at extremely important times of a game or series, but let's face it Neil is not going to play 15 minutes/night over 82 games and he is not going to score 15 goals. So I can see how people look at this signing as an overpayment. Frankly, I don't mind overpaying guys like this especially when the club can afford to do so.

I can't. Furthermore, he will indeed score 15 goals next season. At least.

Further to rooney's comparable (Prust) the Habs basically had to settle for that player because Neil wasn't available. 3 million is probably what Neil would get from the Habs and probably the Rags, too.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Prust got a very nice deal from the Habs... I think they over-paid, but that's the way it is these days. No doubt Neil on the open market would have gotten similar, but not the same term. 4-years for Prust was a bit of a surprise. Habs needed to beef up, so Prust and Armstrong are their gambles.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Let me just add, I'm very happy for Neil, and this is an important signing for the Sens team and franchise. You want to reward loyalty and they did.

Further to rooney's comparable (Prust) the Habs basically had to settle for that player because Neil wasn't available. 3 million is probably what Neil would get from the Habs and probably the Rags, too.

I love the signing, but why are you expecting him to score 15 goals when he has only done that once, when he was 6 years younger?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I love the signing, but why are you expecting him to score 15 goals when he has only done that once, when he was 6 years younger?

Because he scored 13 just last season and I got the impression that his confidence is growing after a crappy year previously. Besides, he added 2 more in the playoffs.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As if there is some huge difference between 13 goals and 15 goals. Anywhere between 10-20 is a reasonable expectation, but will depend on how much (if any) PP time Neil gets, and ice time in general.

There's no point in debating the value of this contract, we all love it, regardless of what our point output expectations of Neil are.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

My point expectations are 15-20 a year. His leadership expectations through the roof, however.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:As if there is some huge difference between 13 goals and 15 goals. Anywhere between 10-20 is a reasonable expectation, but will depend on how much (if any) PP time Neil gets, and ice time in general.

There's no point in debating the value of this contract, we all love it, regardless of what our point output expectations of Neil are.

How is 15-20 goals a reasonable expectation at all?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum