GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

McGuire on Neil: 2 million? Don't think so

+8
PKC
Sp00nz
SensFan71
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Riprock
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1McGuire on Neil: 2 million?  Don't think so Empty McGuire on Neil: 2 million? Don't think so Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

McGuire was on TGOR this morning and he said that there was no chance Chris Neil was worth 2 million. He said even 1.5 was a stretch, but saw the 1.5 as a 'doable' number. He was pretty blunt in saying that Neil might have a difficult time having a team swallow 2 million per year for his services - and suggested gently that Neil bite the bullet and take the 1.5 million.

When asked if he would consider paying Neil 1.8 million - or in that range - McGuire said that at that point, it would be time to trade him and move on.

I agree personally with Baldie. I cannot imagine Chris Neil getting 2 million dollars - not here anyway. So I guess we all need to make peace with him leaving - unless of course he wakes up and decides he'll take the 4.5 million and be happy with it.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Brad May, UFA, $600K
Jamal Mayers, $1.333M
Wade Belak, $650K
Derek Boogard, $875K
Shawn Thornton, $516K
George Parros, $875K
Georges Laracque, $1.5M

No way Neil is worth more than the highest paid guy, which is surprisingly Laracque.

He should definitely be traded, and if he wishes he could always return in the off season as a UFA and sign a ~$1.3M deal

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

well said Dash, and that's the scenario I would be the most comfortable with.

Unfortunately for Neil, as much as I respect him, if Smith, Ruutu, Fisher and Bass stay with the Sens, we don't really need him anymore. If Murray gets an enticing offer for Neil's services, I think the best move for the Sens and Neil is to part ways and bid adieu.

Dash wrote:Brad May, UFA, $600K
Jamal Mayers, $1.333M
Wade Belak, $650K
Derek Boogard, $875K
Shawn Thornton, $516K
George Parros, $875K
Georges Laracque, $1.5M

No way Neil is worth more than the highest paid guy, which is surprisingly Laracque.

He should definitely be traded, and if he wishes he could always return in the off season as a UFA and sign a ~$1.3M deal
I would move him without hesitation. We can't afford another middling 1.5M - 2M contract.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'd rather keep Neil > Ruutu personally. And good that you brought him up, cause he is making $1.3M and can do just as much as Neil can.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Worth 2 million? No.

Getting 2 million? Yes.

Neil will prob get 2 mil in the open market, none of these guys really ever got to UFA status, and as always, teams will over pay for him if he does. Neil will get 2 mil for sure. Commodore got 3.75, for 5 years, Avery got 4 mil year, 4 years... If a team has the cap space and a chance to add Neil and really go for it, they will.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Worth 2 million? No.

Getting 2 million? Yes.

From who though? Who would pay a tough guy 2 million dollars? Maybe the Leafs actually, but that's the only one I can truly see doing it.

I'm open to persuasion here, but I just can't see how Neil is such a key piece that we would consider re-signing him for any type of raise. He's been Dung for the past two years and doesn't really do a lot for the team. His role is slowly being taken out of the game and we wouldn't need an enforcer if we were a tough team.

Get rid of the soft Donkey players and there's no need for Neil.

btw, how crazy is this hockey world that players having off years going into free agent status actually expect a raise?? And players like Wade Redden don't take a pay cut... Its insane.

I like Ruutu better than Neil anyways, not to say that I dont like Neil, but Ruutu has more skill, has other assets, and will drop the gloves (when he feels like it)

Players will get the money they are looking for as a UFA, they always do.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ruutu is a nice PKer as well.

Exactly, I like Ruutu and what he brings for 1.3 mil. Chips in offensivly, PK's, draws penalties, takes other teams off their games, great in the shoot out... On top of all that, he is a good team guy, always loved by his team mates.

Very popular with the fans as well. I love Neil but this team needs to start looking forward and change a lot of the faces in that dressing room. They also need the picks and prospects coming back for him.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Imagine being in a position where "biting the bullet" gets you a salary of $1.5M

If Neil is truly looking for $2M then it is time to part ways

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TeamRenzo wrote:Imagine being in a position where "biting the bullet" gets you a salary of $1.5M

If Neil is truly looking for $2M then it is time to part ways

That bullet would taste an awful lot like steak and lobster.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

am in full concurrence, no 2m for Neil, Laracque is only getting 1.5 I believe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum