GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

McGuire on Neil: 2 million? Don't think so

+8
PKC
Sp00nz
SensFan71
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Riprock
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Imagine being in a position where "biting the bullet" gets you a salary of $1.5M

If Neil is truly looking for $2M then it is time to part ways

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TeamRenzo wrote:Imagine being in a position where "biting the bullet" gets you a salary of $1.5M

If Neil is truly looking for $2M then it is time to part ways

That bullet would taste an awful lot like steak and lobster.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

am in full concurrence, no 2m for Neil, Laracque is only getting 1.5 I believe.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Avery brings much more than Neil though. If Neil could put up points like Avery, he'd be much more valuable, since he doesn't also bring a headache.

Neil would be an absolute tank if he could put up points like Avery....Thats like the dream enforcer...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:Neil would be an absolute tank if he could put up points like Avery....Thats like the dream enforcer...

Like a Lucic or Carcillo (from last season)?

Laraque signed as a UFA for $1.5M. Laraque plays 4 minutes a game on most nights and is a healthy scratch on occasion. He could take Neil for sure but he doesn't outplay Neil.

I have kind of moved off my stance that I would give him $1.75M for 3 years. I think he is more valuable than people here are giving him credit for, for sure, but the market is $1.5M at the high end. He is not Avery who, love him or hate him, has had an impact on winning or losing for NYR and was a borderline second liner in his prime.

I see us having a huge hole if we let him go. We are very small and without Neil there is only Smith, Fisher and Ruutu who would drop the gloves on rare occasions. Also note that some of Neil's punishing hits are game changers and momentum changers. Other than Fisher and to a lesser extent Volchie, Ruutu and Smith, we have a lot of soft players, Pillsbury soft.

We won't be hard to play against at all if we have a team fly-by'ers and midgets.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:I have kind of moved off my stance that I would give him $1.75M for 3 years. I think he is more valuable than people here are giving him credit for...

This is true. But you have to nickel and dime some players to overpay fan-favorites some times.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Don't forget, teams are unlikely to overpay this season, now that the cap is almost guaranteed to drop. Otherwise, they will play for one season then be waived/bought out the following year.

I think it will end up like MLB where the top guys still get their money but the middle guys get squat. Did you see Orlando Hudson's contract? He is a multiple gold glover and a 3 time All Star. He signed for 3.4 million. In baseball numbers that is squat.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

Dash wrote:Don't forget, teams are unlikely to overpay this season, now that the cap is almost guaranteed to drop. Otherwise, they will play for one season then be waived/bought out the following year.

True, but that still doesn't mean a team won't trade for Neil. Teams like San Jose that desperately need some grit might take a flier on Neil. Then if he plays like he did in Ottawa's cup run 2 million wouldn't be out of the question.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Isn't Shelley, Grier, Clowe... enough grit?

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

Dash wrote:Isn't Shelley, Grier, Clowe... enough grit?

Aside from Grier, Neil plays a better game than they do. Besides, u can never have enough grit. We all remember how the Ducks pushed the Sens around.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, but you also need skill, and Neil takes a spot away from someone.

MurderOnIce wrote:Laraque signed as a UFA for $1.5M. Laraque plays 4 minutes a game on most nights and is a healthy scratch on occasion. He could take Neil for sure but he doesn't outplay Neil.

I have kind of moved off my stance that I would give him $1.75M for 3 years. I think he is more valuable than people here are giving him credit for, for sure, but the market is $1.5M at the high end. He is not Avery who, love him or hate him, has had an impact on winning or losing for NYR and was a borderline second liner in his prime.

I see us having a huge hole if we let him go. We are very small and without Neil there is only Smith, Fisher and Ruutu who would drop the gloves on rare occasions. Also note that some of Neil's punishing hits are game changers and momentum changers. Other than Fisher and to a lesser extent Volchie, Ruutu and Smith, we have a lot of soft players, Pillsbury soft.

We won't be hard to play against at all if we have a team fly-by'ers and midgets.
Thats not at all true anymore. There's the four you mentioned, but then there's the 2nd tier toughness of Alfie, Phillips, Kelly, Vermette, Donovan, Foligno, Winchester, Bass... The jury is out on Shannon and Bell.
So that leaves Spezza, Heatley, Comrie (who is quite capable of crashing and banging) Lee, Kuba, Picard, and Schubert (who is an absolute p*ssy when encountered with someone who can actually handle themselves...)

Other than Picard, Comrie, and maybe Heatley, I would be fine with seeing the others traded for gritty, character players. The skill on this team decreases and they have to gut out some more wins, but at least they would actually put in the effort and show us that they care... And there would still be some considerable skill here.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I've been saying this for a while, and I'll say it again. Not only should we not pay Neil $1.5 million a season, but we should drop him down to just inside the $1 million range. Sign him for like $950,000 per year for 2 or 3 years.

I'm sorry, but 6 points on the year, and 41 disappearing acts (road games) last year equals a salary drop not raise.

He doesn't like it? You and Kuba can pack it in, thanks for the times.

Thats^ exactly what I'm saying! We in this city overvalue Neil is the most ridiculous way. To put it another way: On "the Quiz" just now, Dutchie asked who you would rather trade for - Neil or Laperriere? And both Dreger and McKenzie said Lap....Would any of you pay Laperriere 1.5M? I hope not...
Add to that: The guys on hockeycentral are speculating that Neil is actually asking for as much as 2.5M 🇳🇴

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neely4Life wrote:Exactly, I like Ruutu and what he brings for 1.3 mil. Chips in offensivly, PK's, draws penalties, takes other teams off their games, great in the shoot out... On top of all that, he is a good team guy, always loved by his team mates.

Very popular with the fans as well. I love Neil but this team needs to start looking forward and change a lot of the faces in that dressing room. They also need the picks and prospects coming back for him.

I think thats the big one here. somhow ruutu seems to know when to stop and let the other one take the fall. we've got enough players now who can handle themselves plus some of the young ones(Bass comes to mind)will pick-up.
let's trade him and when july comes around if he's still around offer him 1.2a year for 2 years(no longer)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum