GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension

+12
SensHulk
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
rooneypoo
Ev
Oglethorpe
shabbs
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

That's a lotta cake for a guy who basically just has the ability to tie his own skates and hit people that have their heads down. Good thing he doesn't have to fend for himself in the real world.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Brian Jurke offered him 2.5M for 3-4 years back in 2009 as I recall, it should be more than that now.

Yup. Neil turned down at least 4 million real dollars to stay in Ottawa and play for the Sens based off what guys of his ilk make.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm sticking by that he left 2.5 on the table, maybe 3 max. :crossarms:

You don't think Neil could have gotten what Prust got? You have to be joking.

Don't think so. You're talking about a team signing him from 34-38, not prime years for an enforcer/power forward like Neil. I think 3 years, 2.75 per year, maybe 3 years, 3 million per year (which would be 3.25 on the table).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm sticking by that he left 2.5 on the table, maybe 3 max. :crossarms:

Age is a factor if comparing the two.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Call it experience. Neil is better than Prust right now and will be for the next 3 seasons too.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Neil has nothing in his game that is showing signs of slowing down. Age is a factor sure... it isn't a factor on a 4 year deal for a 32, 33 year old player.

Neil would probably get more than Prust if he went to market. Neil's a better player in pretty much every way and I like Prust.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Don't think so. You're talking about a team signing him from 34-38, not prime years for an enforcer/power forward like Neil. I think 3 years, 2.75 per year, maybe 3 years, 3 million per year (which would be 3.25 on the table).

Maybe 3 x 3 yah, probably right around where he would be paid and the term. Sure, 3 mil is probably the minimum he left off the table. I'll correct myself in saying that.

That said, people shouldn't be talking about a player turning down 3 million dollars like it's not a big deal. If I presented you 3 million dollars to get up and move jobs you would not only take it, you would probably give me head before I give you the cash as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's a huge deal, it really is. Neil has shown to us and the rest of the fans in Ottawa that he gives a Dung. It's awesome actually. I plan on picking up a shirt with his name on it this weekend.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:It's a huge deal, it really is. Neil has shown to us and the rest of the fans in Ottawa that he gives a Dung. It's awesome actually. I plan on picking up a shirt with his name on it this weekend.
Awwwwwwwww yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension - Page 8 Img2011102800014

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ahhhhh!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Where do I go to find a good selection of Ottawa shirts with names on the back?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Where do I go to find a good selection of Ottawa shirts with names on the back?

Scotia Bank Place

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Where do I go to find a good selection of Ottawa shirts with names on the back?

Scotia Bank Place

Dammit...The store's open on weekends I presume?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Scotia Bank Place

Dammit...The store's open on weekends I presume?

Yes. Carlingwood and Place D'Orleans too.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Riprock wrote:Yeah, doesn't look like a guy with a gun to his head, forcing to him to put his signature on a contract that is unfair to him. Sarcasm

I'm sure his priority is to be a Senator for life. Doesn't mean that Melnyk is not a cheapskate, though.

Exactly. Neil wanted to be a senator and the GM, IMO, took advantage of that to the fullest. Well...a little too much actually.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Riprock wrote:Yeah, doesn't look like a guy with a gun to his head, forcing to him to put his signature on a contract that is unfair to him. Sarcasm

I'm sure his priority is to be a Senator for life. Doesn't mean that Melnyk is not a cheapskate, though.

Exactly. Neil wanted to be a senator and the GM, IMO, took advantage of that to the fullest. Well...a little too much actually.

The worst part of it is that Melnyk promised Neil, in exchange for a bargain salary, the opportunity to open his own restaurant/bar in Scotiabank Place upon his retirement. We know how those deals turn out, don't we.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:

Chris Neil is great at what he does. He's great at lacing up skates, catching players with their head down, taking abuse in front of the opposition goal, getting the team and the crowd going. Luckily for him his salary does not depend on his business acumen. If he truly thinks he took a $1M+ home discount then he's taken a few too may to the head.

If you look at what Brandon Cussing Prust got then damn right we took a hometown discount, he could've easily gotten more on the open market.

Neil does what he does and he may be a 4th liner on a contender but he's damn good at what he does on and off the ice. I imagine there's quite a few teams around the league who would pay to have someone like that.

Everyone said (immediately) it was an overpayment, even though everyone knows Montreal has to overpay (tax situation). Prust is younger (Neil will be 37 in his last year which, for a smaller forward playing his style of game could be a problem).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum