GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brennan: Chris Neil signs 3 year, 5.75 million dollar extension

+12
SensHulk
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Hoags
rooneypoo
Ev
Oglethorpe
shabbs
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:Way to go Neiler....but I actually feel a little bad for Neil. He should have gotten at least the same amount of money as he was getting already. It's peanuts anyways...then to take him down some more...what's the point?

He loves it here and wants to stay? Yeah, he left 1.5 mil on the table IMO, maybe a little more, but sometimes home is where the heart is and there's no reason to rock the boat.

My point isn't against Neil...it's actually against the Sens org. Management should have offered him a slightly higher value in contract. To save face, at least make it $2M to match his current contract.

I actually am starting to agree with SSF.....this wreaks of penny pinching

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:Way to go Neiler....but I actually feel a little bad for Neil. He should have gotten at least the same amount of money as he was getting already. It's peanuts anyways...then to take him down some more...what's the point?

He loves it here and wants to stay? Yeah, he left 1.5 mil on the table IMO, maybe a little more, but sometimes home is where the heart is and there's no reason to rock the boat.

My point isn't against Neil...it's actually against the Sens org. Management should have offered him a slightly higher value in contract. To save face, at least make it $2M to match his current contract.

It wreaks of amazing cap management as well. Neil didn't have to sign that deal. If I was GM, I would have offered 2 million X 3, maybe even 2.5 X 3, so it's lucky it was Murray and not me.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Don Brennan ‏@SunDoniB

Chris Neil has signed a 3-year extension that will keep him a Senator until he's 37, I've been told. Believe it's worth $5.75 mil. #nhl#sens

If this is true, it's an amazing signing by the Sens. Love it!! Clapping

It's a good signing for both parties. But let's please stop saying how he took a hometown discount. He's getting very close to $2M on a 3 year deal. Chris Neil is an important cog in the Sens' machine but he is really a 4th line player on a contending team. The reason he's a 3rd line player for us (or was, in the past) was because we had our best 3rd liners playing top-six. Remove the name and ask yourselves if a 4th line making nearly $2M/year on a 3 year deal that likely takes him to the end of his career is something a contending team would do?

Matt Carkner just got $4.5 mil / 3 years, or $1.5 mil / yr. Is Chris Neil (a 3rd liner, occasional PP2, 12+-minutes a night guy) significantly more valuable than Carkner (a bottom pairing or 7th D, PKer, 15+ minutes a night)? I'd say yes.

Neil on the open market would command at least what Prust got, per year.

I'm tickle pink for Carkner but he got overpaid big time. That said, there is a reason that Carkner didn't fight as much as Neil. He didn't have to.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

It wreaks of amazing cap management as well. Neil didn't have to sign that deal. If I was GM, I would have offered 2 million X 3, maybe even 2.5 X 3, so it's lucky it was Murray and not me.

It takes me a second to realize who's posting before I can look at these numbers. SD, you know that "X" is a mathematical function, yes? 2.5 X 3 = 7.5. Just like 2 + 3 can't mean a total of 3, 2 X 3 can't mean a total of 3. Substitute the word "over" and you'll be fine. 2.5 over 3 is $833K/year. 2.5 X 3 is $2.5 per year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:My God, that has to be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Imagine going in and getting a bowl of biscuits swimming in gravy and a nice big Fat Juice of some kind - a Pepsi hopefully. Yum!

Diet Pepsi.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

It takes me a second to realize who's posting before I can look at these numbers. SD, you know that "X" is a mathematical function, yes? 2.5 X 3 = 7.5. Just like 2 + 3 can't mean a total of 3, 2 X 3 can't mean a total of 3. Substitute the word "over" and you'll be fine. 2.5 over 3 is $833K/year. 2.5 X 3 is $2.5 per year.
Yeah, I know...I would have offered him 6 million dollar over 3 years, or maybe even 7.5 over 3 years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I don't think it reeks at all. They offered Carkner the same salary as last year on a 1-year term (although later they admitted they would have gone to 2 years). I think with Neil they offered him 2 years at the same salary, but he wanted 3 years. To do that they asked him to drop the salary a bit. He got more term than they wanted to give and had to lose a bit of face to get it. Maybe Oil Changers will make up the difference so he can be smilin' as he's signin' away.

Everyone agrees that Prust was overpaid. And if Neil got $2.5M somewhere everyone (well, maybe not Rooney) would be saying he was overpaid. Not saying he's not worth it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If I'm the Islanders and Neil hits free agency, I offer him 3 million dollars. He's a guy that can make everyone play a little bigger and add a lot to your team - especially a young one like theirs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:If I'm the Islanders and Neil hits free agency, I offer him 3 million dollars. He's a guy that can make everyone play a little bigger and add a lot to your team - especially a young one like theirs.

Islanders got Carkner. It doesn't get much bigger than that. As I said already, Carkner didn't fight as much as Neil because he didn't have to.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:If I'm the Islanders and Neil hits free agency, I offer him 3 million dollars. He's a guy that can make everyone play a little bigger and add a lot to your team - especially a young one like theirs.

Islanders got Carkner. It doesn't get much bigger than that. As I said already, Carkner didn't fight as much as Neil because he didn't have to.

and because he played less games, and he might be cautious since the Boogaard death

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

Actually, yeah, that's a perfect example. If they overpaid for Carkner, imagine them overpaying for a player like Chris Neil?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

Actually, yeah, that's a perfect example. If they overpaid for Carkner, imagine them overpaying for a player like Chris Neil?

Probably around 6 schmill per season. That's what WIN typically costs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

2.75-3 IMO.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

2.75-3 IMO.

You're notoriously cheap. Good thing you're not running the show or else Erik Karlsson would be a Red Wing by now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

2.75-3 IMO.

You're notoriously cheap. Good thing you're not running the show or else Erik Karlsson would be a Red Wing by now.

I like to be a little frugal, yeah. There's a cap and it won't be going up anytime soon - and there's Spezza @ 7, Michalek @ 4.3, Turris at 3ish soon, Zibanejad, Silf, Stone, Lehner, Noesen, Cowen. There's a lot to plan for.

I would have offered Karlsson 65 million X 10 years, but I guess he wasn't interested in that long a deal.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

2.75-3 IMO.

I like to be a little frugal, yeah. There's a cap and it won't be going up anytime soon - and there's Spezza @ 7, Michalek @ 4.3, Turris at 3ish soon, Zibanejad, Silf, Stone, Lehner, Noesen, Cowen. There's a lot to plan for.

I would have offered Karlsson 65 million X 10 years, but I guess he wasn't interested in that long a deal.

A cap or a budget? Because the cap keeps going up. Just like I always say it will. Beer

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
A cap or a budget? Because the cap keeps going up. Just like I always say it will. Beer

Both. The cap @ 70 million is a joke, it'll come down shortly IMO. I'm not sure if that'll affect teams at the cap, but I'd be careful if I were them.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

It's the principal man. This guy goes out and gives his blood, sweat, and tears for the franchise in every game. He's a great ambassador for the team and the city.

you expect good players to gradually get an increase in pay....he just got his pay docked a bit. We can argue the amount and what not....that's not the point. It's a minuscule value, I think they shoulda bit the bullet and given him the $2M.

It's a moot point obviously since he's signed, but how does this 'classy' franchise go from buying out Alfie's contract to give him a proper raise and lengthy contract to docking neil's pay? Even the term is less!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum