GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Senators @ Canucks - 9:00PM - Sunday November 20 2011

+14
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
LeCaptain
cash
PTFlea
wprager
rooneypoo
spader
SensHulk
shabbs
Riprock
stempniaksen
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Also that layoff may just give Maclean some time to address the streaky season thus far and maybe we don't turn this into another losing slide.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:So I didn't see the game...was Ottawa's D really good? Was it all Auld? What kept the Canucks in check?

It's good to come away with a point in this one. Great road-trip!

The only two that beat him were deflected by his own D. I guess you could pretend they were trying to block more shots but the truth is they only blocked 10 as a team. By comparison, the league leaders (Leafs) block an average of 16 shots per game.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Karlsson has a 1.5 shooting percentage. Should improve soon.

Maybe he should shoot less. Facepalm Last night was a perfect example -- had the game on his stick and shot it wide from 10 feet out. I realize he was trying to go just inside the post but from that distance that's quite a miss.

When's Michalek going to score again? That bum Kessel padded his stats again, last night, with two more. Dammit! I guess 2nd in the league is pretty good, though. Hat-trick Friday against the Sidguins Vertigo

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:why are all Ottawa broadcasters terrible? Brown, Potvin, York, Versage...all awful.
Brown is pretty good when given a professional (SOBER) colour guy to work with. York is new but I don't mind him at all. Potvin is terrible and Versage, goes without saying that he should be doing minor football on Rogers 22 (as a part time fill in).

True. Brown is getting called in to do games other than Ottawa so that's saying something. He was doing a game on Saturday -- I think it was the Flyers/Jets afternoon game.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh good, and we get to play the Pens just when Crysby will be getting in his groove.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Versage and Melonson I can't stand but the others are tolerable to good IMO.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:why are all Ottawa broadcasters terrible? Brown, Potvin, York, Versage...all awful.
Brown is pretty good when given a professional (SOBER) colour guy to work with. York is new but I don't mind him at all. Potvin is terrible and Versage, goes without saying that he should be doing minor football on Rogers 22 (as a part time fill in).

Lee Versage and Phil Melanson should not have a 3hour morning show on a big radio station like the Team 1200

But it's not really big, though. And they are better than those idiots on Team 990 (Tony Molinaro and whoever the other homer is -- I think they are trying to out-homer each other). Swear to god, those guys must be bi-polar. They drag their team -- players, coaches, GM, trainers --through the mud when they lose a couple, but build altars to them when they win a few. They honestly thought that Subban would score 20 this year -- easily. I don't disagree that Lee/Phil are not exactly great, but anything to prevent more FSR or Jim Rome is welcomed, IMO.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

True. Brown is getting called in to do games other than Ottawa so that's saying something. He was doing a game on Saturday -- I think it was the Flyers/Jets afternoon game.

I agree. Brown is pretty good when working with a competent colour commentator. Potvin is the worst colour guy I've ever listened to.

York is a bum, who does zero show prep. If you're going to be on the radio for three hours each day, it's generally a good idea to at least look at the sports stories for the day.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Oh good, and we get to play the Pens just when Crysby will be getting in his groove.

You think it'll be that quick? The guy has been off since January.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Like I said before, anything beyond a 500 record on the Sens road trip would be considered fantastic. Last night, an OT point is just like playing with house money.

The Sens played a near perfect road game but they just didn't catch any bounces but they still came away with a point. Auld was awesome and I think him getting in and playing like that before a long lay off is important. Spezza had a very solid game, IMO his best of the year. Michalek is a friggin beast.

Defensivly I thought Cowen and Lee were the best pairing. Those two are looking more and more like the perfect pair. They both skate well, move the puck well, are big bodies who like to take the man. When they hit puberty they could very well be the best shut down tandom in the NHL.

Made me spill my coffee! Dammit! Good thing I'm wearing a dark-colored sweater. Laughing3

I feel Cowen is still not playing to the level I expected of him *physically*. Doesn't look as tall or as big as he used to. Could he have lost some weight in training camp? Or is it simply the huge adjustment from playing in Junior (and a few games in Bingo)? Lee took a few years to develop in that respect so there's still time, of course.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Oh good, and we get to play the Pens just when Crysby will be getting in his groove.

Yeah, he'll probably only get 12-15 minutes of ice time his first game out. But we'll see from there. I'm actually thinking it will be better to face Sid than not. No matter how good he is, he *is* out of game shape and his return *will* upset the chemistry they've built up over the almost full season they'd played without him.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I would say they will be playing Crosby when he starts to look a little behind. First game guys coming back from injury are usually flying and going nuts, next 3 or 4 they tend to hit a small wall. Probably a perfect time to play him in all honesty. Glad it wasn't game 1.

That said, who knows what Crosby will be like. He does things no one else can.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

It's Crosby. Even Crosby at 80% is better than 99% of the league. Maybe The Alfie will run him and knock him out. It'd be sweetsweet payback from that hit in the playoffs a couple years back.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:Like I said before, anything beyond a 500 record on the Sens road trip would be considered fantastic. Last night, an OT point is just like playing with house money.

The Sens played a near perfect road game but they just didn't catch any bounces but they still came away with a point. Auld was awesome and I think him getting in and playing like that before a long lay off is important. Spezza had a very solid game, IMO his best of the year. Michalek is a friggin beast.

Defensivly I thought Cowen and Lee were the best pairing. Those two are looking more and more like the perfect pair. They both skate well, move the puck well, are big bodies who like to take the man. When they hit puberty they could very well be the best shut down tandom in the NHL.

Made me spill my coffee! Dammit! Good thing I'm wearing a dark-colored sweater. Laughing3

I feel Cowen is still not playing to the level I expected of him *physically*. Doesn't look as tall or as big as he used to. Could he have lost some weight in training camp? Or is it simply the huge adjustment from playing in Junior (and a few games in Bingo)? Lee took a few years to develop in that respect so there's still time, of course.

If you play like A Train each night the physical aspect will takes it toll on a player. Cowen, while physical at times is actually playing a way smarter game than I thought he would be at 20. More of a Chris Phillips type game with a bit more of an edge and size. There is something to be said for being able to play a very good defensive game and stay healthy at the same time. You could pretty much gaurantee that if the playoffs roll around, that's the type of guys that going to be hell to play against.

As for Lee, he had to change his game and he did. That's a big part of development, finding out what works and what doesnt. Good for Lee because he looks good.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Nice to grab 5 of 6 points from the three Western teams on this trip. Well done Sens. Get back, re-energize and take the boots to the Pens on Friday.

GO SENS GO!!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

If you play like A Train each night the physical aspect will takes it toll on a player. Cowen, while physical at times is actually playing a way smarter game than I thought he would be at 20. More of a Chris Phillips type game with a bit more of an edge and size. There is something to be said for being able to play a very good defensive game and stay healthy at the same time. You could pretty much gaurantee that if the playoffs roll around, that's the type of guys that going to be hell to play against.

As for Lee, he had to change his game and he did. That's a big part of development, finding out what works and what doesnt. Good for Lee because he looks good.
Pronger is the pro at this. He uses his size and position so well that he's never running around too much and burning up all his energy. He's one of the most "efficient" players out there which is why he can log mad minutes.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Exactly. When people say Cowen is a Pronger in the making this is what they mean. He might have the offense (although that might eventually come with time and expierence) but he has the ability to use his assets to hus full advantage.

Don't like the idea of Cowen fighting a whole lot though, no need for it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Exactly. When people say Cowen is a Pronger in the making this is what they mean. He might have the offense (although that might eventually come with time and expierence) but he has the ability to use his assets to hus full advantage.

Don't like the idea of Cowen fighting a whole lot though, no need for it.

Some guys are just predisposed to having the odd fight, and I think it's some form of a leadership quality. This is likely a holdover from junior.

Lecavalier, Iginla…hell even Kovalchuk drops the mitts occasionally.

I think the only thing you have to worry about with Cowen is him breaking his hand when he fights…he seems to be able to handle himself quite well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum