GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Senators @ Canucks - 9:00PM - Sunday November 20 2011

+14
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
LeCaptain
cash
PTFlea
wprager
rooneypoo
spader
SensHulk
shabbs
Riprock
stempniaksen
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:and his voice is gut wrenching. His constant regurgitating of stats that mean nothing. Saying players who are in a scrum are just "discussing" or some crap like that.

I hope Dean gets promoted to the CBC like Galley did.

I find he has a pretty good voice for play-by-play. And all hockey commentators regurgitate meaningless stats. If I have to hear about the Sens' winning % in games where Phillips scores a goal one more time, I'll throw my cat through my TV.

I also like Galley. He does a good job doing colour commentary, and his radiowork was lightyears beyond what we're now stuck with (York).

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dave Schreiber is an incredible broadcaster. They should give him some TV time.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I just don't know how anyone can like Dean Brown's play-calling.

You don't like anything, so I understand why YOU don't like it. What you need to understand is that there are people on this planet who actually enjoy things.

When Dean's not going off on tangents with an inept co-worker, he does a fine job of actually CALLING the action. I don't understand why you think he isn't a good play-by-play guy, but that sort of thing is subjective I guess.

Laugh1 I'd agree but the exception is anything related to Crosby. Hence, Pittsburgh announcers are just fine.

Nope they're quite bad. The only good Pittsburgh broadcaster is Mike Lange but he is only doing radio now. (He's the gut with the legendary goal calls).

Wow, that gut must truly be legendary if you can tell it on the radio.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

galley didnt' get promoted, he chose to not do all the exessive travelling so he could be with family. So he only chose to work saturday games with CBC. It's a shame. Him and Brown were a good tandem. Now we got Potvin.

I can't even count the number of mistakes he made last night. On this road trip, he's called the senators the 67s, called a defenceman andrew edler (who the Diddle is he talking about), and many more I just can't remember

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:and his voice is gut wrenching. His constant regurgitating of stats that mean nothing. Saying players who are in a scrum are just "discussing" or some crap like that.

I hope Dean gets promoted to the CBC like Galley did.

I find he has a pretty good voice for play-by-play. And all hockey commentators regurgitate meaningless stats. If I have to hear about the Sens' winning % in games where Phillips scores a goal one more time, I'll throw my cat through my TV.

I also like Galley. He does a good job doing colour commentary, and his radiowork was lightyears beyond what we're now stuck with (York).

yeah I really like Galley. His promotion was unwelcome. Dean's would be welcome.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:galley didnt' get promoted, he chose to not do all the exessive travelling so he could be with family. So he only chose to work saturday games with CBC. It's a shame. Him and Brown were a good tandem. Now we got Potvin.

I can't even count the number of mistakes he made last night. On this road trip, he's called the senators the 67s, called a defenceman andrew edler (who the Diddle is he talking about), and many more I just can't remember

haha I think he actually called him Lars Edler. He was thinking of Lars Eller in Montreal.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I just don't know how anyone can like Dean Brown's play-calling.

You don't like anything, so I understand why YOU don't like it. What you need to understand is that there are people on this planet who actually enjoy things.

When Dean's not going off on tangents with an inept co-worker, he does a fine job of actually CALLING the action. I don't understand why you think he isn't a good play-by-play guy, but that sort of thing is subjective I guess.

Laugh1 I'd agree but the exception is anything related to Crosby. Hence, Pittsburgh announcers are just fine.

Nope they're quite bad. The only good Pittsburgh broadcaster is Mike Lange but he is only doing radio now. (He's the gut with the legendary goal calls).

....wow, I am shocked Vertigo

They should just bring back Garry Thorne already

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:galley didnt' get promoted, he chose to not do all the exessive travelling so he could be with family. So he only chose to work saturday games with CBC. It's a shame. Him and Brown were a good tandem. Now we got Potvin.

haha I think he actually called him Lars Edler. He was thinking of Lars Eller in Montreal.

LOL that's the one. My mistake.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Potvin seems more suited to sitting at the bar talking about his glory days than to being a colour commentator.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Potvin seems more suited to sitting at the bar talking about his glory days than to being a colour commentator.

I have a feeling that that is *exactly* what they asked him to do -- kind of like Grape Line. Except Cherry does for 5 minutes while there isn't a game on, and it works. Also it definitely sounds -- at times -- like Denis *is* sitting in a bar, and has been sitting there for a few rounds already.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Potvin seems more suited to sitting at the bar talking about his glory days than to being a colour commentator.

I have a feeling that that is *exactly* what they asked him to do -- kind of like Grape Line. Except Cherry does for 5 minutes while there isn't a game on, and it works. Also it definitely sounds -- at times -- like Denis *is* sitting in a bar, and has been sitting there for a few rounds already.

Yep.

If I wanted to listen to an old man prattle on about the good ol' days while mixing up names and abusing the English language, I'd go down to the local old folks home. Or listen to Grapes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not so much abusing the English language as names. His English is pretty much what anyone of his generation, and his background has. No better and no worse.

But he's definitely got a way with names, and sometimes I think he's doing it on purpose. La-longo? Varlamakov?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

He's called the senators the panthers and 67s. 'Nuff said Frustrated1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum