GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who does BM trade?

+15
jamvan
Vandelay
SeawaySensFan
Jordo
wprager
beerandsens
asq2
PTFlea
SensGirl11
LethalLehner
SensFan71
LeCaptain
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
spader
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Kovalfie wrote:As long as we're under the cap we should hold on to our depth until teams become desperate. Our depth players aren't costing us a fortune so we should trade them at point of advantage; at the trade deadline or to a team struggling early. Who knows, we could have a couple of freak injuries that our depth could help us out of a a little bit.

If anyone goes it is probably Kelly. For those saying it should be Shannon, he is too valuable; he's a PP QB and a great 3rd line energy/forechecking player. Kelly, in my mind, has priced himself off the team. And for those of you who are going to argue that he's our best PKer, etc, I'd like to remind you of Saturday's game vs Montreal where A-Train, Fish, and Carkner killed off a two-man advantage by themselves.

If there were a market for him I would trade Cheechoo in a heart beat.

Probably the first time I've disagreed with you but hey, it was bound to happen.

Shannon isnt a PP QB, he's just put there. I would say when he is out there he is absolutely the main reason The Sens have struggled on the PP to this point. There is absolutely no threat from the point when he is out there and from what I've seen he doesnt move the puck very well. Where Shannon plays on the PP, it should be Karlsson and by the end of X-mas it more than likely will be.

Even strength, Regin has taken that 3rd line center job, simple as that. So where does Shannon fit? IMO, he doesnt. You have your top 2 lines then you have Foligno/Regin/Neil. Shannon as a 4th line player is useless and he would be wasted.

His play hasnt been good enough to keep him in the lineup at this point anyways and if there is a market for him and the trade makes sense, you do it.

As for Kelly, he has been grea thus far and if the cap was an issue I would say he might be the odd man out but Murray LOOOOVES him and he makes a good team better. Loved his game thus far even away from the PK.

32Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:13 pm

I am not sure I agree N4L, Shannon is a guy who can play center and does run the powerplay from the point pretty effectively. Not sure we have many players like that...

33Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 pm

You have a bunch of guys who run the PP from the point. The best the PP has looked all year was when Karlsson was there against Tampa and playing that rover position.

It comes down to this to me, who would you rather have in your lineup? Regin or Shannon. For me it's an absolute no brainer, it's Regin.

I think Shannon has been brutal on that first PP unit and he hasnt run it efficeintly at all. When Kuba comes back he can QB it, Karlsson can, even Campoli to a certain extent. Even strength Shannon has been rendered close to useless. If you want to keep the guy on the bench to run a PP that has looked like garbage with him at the helm thus far, then I guess keep him.

Shannon to me is this team biggest dissapointment thus far into the season with Campoli.

34Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 pm

N4L wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:As long as we're under the cap we should hold on to our depth until teams become desperate. Our depth players aren't costing us a fortune so we should trade them at point of advantage; at the trade deadline or to a team struggling early. Who knows, we could have a couple of freak injuries that our depth could help us out of a a little bit.

If anyone goes it is probably Kelly. For those saying it should be Shannon, he is too valuable; he's a PP QB and a great 3rd line energy/forechecking player. Kelly, in my mind, has priced himself off the team. And for those of you who are going to argue that he's our best PKer, etc, I'd like to remind you of Saturday's game vs Montreal where A-Train, Fish, and Carkner killed off a two-man advantage by themselves.

If there were a market for him I would trade Cheechoo in a heart beat.

Probably the first time I've disagreed with you but hey, it was bound to happen.

Shannon isnt a PP QB, he's just put there. I would say when he is out there he is absolutely the main reason The Sens have struggled on the PP to this point. There is absolutely no threat from the point when he is out there and from what I've seen he doesnt move the puck very well. Where Shannon plays on the PP, it should be Karlsson and by the end of X-mas it more than likely will be.

Even strength, Regin has taken that 3rd line center job, simple as that. So where does Shannon fit? IMO, he doesnt. You have your top 2 lines then you have Foligno/Regin/Neil. Shannon as a 4th line player is useless and he would be wasted.

His play hasnt been good enough to keep him in the lineup at this point anyways and if there is a market for him and the trade makes sense, you do it.

As for Kelly, he has been grea thus far and if the cap was an issue I would say he might be the odd man out but Murray LOOOOVES him and he makes a good team better. Loved his game thus far even away from the PK.

You're right. Our diasgreeing was bound to happen.

What I'm sure we can both agree upon though is how upsetting Cheechoo has been so far. I mean, I try to watch him away from the puck and try to give him the benefit of the doubt but he has just done nothing (with the exception of the nice pass to Michalek for his first goal). I was thinking that Spezza's early struggles are a result of having to adjust to not one but two new linemates, and while that still may affect him I think his struggles are more attributed to how bad Cheechoo is. Cheechoo can't keep up with the speed of Michalek and Spezza which is causing that line to struggle. For instance, the hooking penalty he took in the first against Montreal was just plain terrible. He couldn't take a tape-to-tape pass, turned the puck over, and instead of getting back into the play, he threw out his stick and tripped the opposing player. Has Clouston been using him to kill penalties? Is he on the powerplay? Yes, I know the Spezza line is getting shots on goal, but the shots they are getting haven't been great scoring chances (three of Michalek's four goals have been on special teams while Spezza still has zero.)

Kelly generates so many scoring chances but just can't finish. If you think long-term, trading Kelly clears you of his cap space for the next three years and with Winchester back, you get your fourth line center, not as good of a center, but an adequately priced 4th line center. It's true that there really isn't a perfect spot on the team for Shannon, but he's consistently good with the puck and paired with Foligno and Regin he could start generating points again.

35Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 pm

He could produce with that 3rd line of Regin and Folingo but there is a 0% chance that Neil comes off that line. The guys who were underachieving last year are back to form and by comparisson Shannon doesnt look as good and is clearly not as important. Neil, Kelly, Fisher all look like their old sleves, Folingo is getting better every night even with his bad games as a young guy. Regin has that number 3 spot and was a big reason why Neil got going early this season.

As for Cheechoo, I havnt minded him, havnt been awe strucken either. The best that top line has played has been with Cheechoo, that's when things turned around for Michalek and Spezza. He's getting his chances, he's getting shots away, they will eventually go in for him just as much as they will start going in for Spezza.

I think right now with the obvious lack of chemistry at times all around The Sens on the ice, things are really well balanced and everyone is working hard.

Shannon as much as Campoli is/was a short term fix. He wont be doing anyone, any good sitting in the stands. A guy like Dono can come in and out of the lineup as Clouston pleases and not miss a beat, I dont see that with Shannon.

36Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Good point. I'm not 100% convinced that you are right but maybe I have over-valued Shannon a little. Still, I would hold on to everyone until I am forced to make a deal and a lot of that deal would be about who's coming back. Cap-room, like always, has to be the centerpiece to any trade at this point with Volchenkov likely up for a $2-2.5 million raise.

I wonder what the market value is for guys like Campoli, Shannon, Kelly, Donovan, etc. I could see Burke wanting to pick up Shannon; guy loved him in the WHC. Still, I'd imagine we'd try to package them to optimize value?

37Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Good point. I'm not 100% convinced that you are right but maybe I have over-valued Shannon a little. Still, I would hold on to everyone until I am forced to make a deal and a lot of that deal would be about who's coming back. Cap-room, like always, has to be the centerpiece to any trade at this point with Volchenkov likely up for a $2-2.5 million raise.

I wonder what the market value is for guys like Campoli, Shannon, Kelly, Donovan, etc. I could see Burke wanting to pick up Shannon; guy loved him in the WHC. Still, I'd imagine we'd try to package them to optimize value?

man I would hate to see Shannon go to Toronto, that would ruin a guy like him to go into that freaking mess, besides, don't think Murray will deal with Burke anyway. Nashville was mentioned by N4L I believe as a possible destination, that makes more sense to me.

38Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Shannon as much as Campoli is/was a short term fix. He wont be doing anyone, any good sitting in the stands. A guy like Dono can come in and out of the lineup as Clouston pleases and not miss a beat, I dont see that with Shannon.

By this rationale alone, couldn't we sit Donovan from time to time and have a 3rd line of Foligno - Regin - Shannon (awesome line) and a 4th line of Ruutu - Kelly - Neil?

No offense to Donovan, but that's just the best line configuration possible IMO.

39Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Good point. I'm not 100% convinced that you are right but maybe I have over-valued Shannon a little. Still, I would hold on to everyone until I am forced to make a deal and a lot of that deal would be about who's coming back. Cap-room, like always, has to be the centerpiece to any trade at this point with Volchenkov likely up for a $2-2.5 million raise.

I think Shannon's value is higher to us (especially last season) than it would be in a trade.

I don't think it's worth it to move him. Let's try out those lines SD's been talking about (which I, too, have mentioned).

Actually, I'd still even prefer to get Winchester out there as fourth line centre. So Kelly can be moved, if any team wants him.

The Leafs could definitely use a forward capable of not making a stupid play in the defensive zone.

40Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:Shannon as much as Campoli is/was a short term fix. He wont be doing anyone, any good sitting in the stands. A guy like Dono can come in and out of the lineup as Clouston pleases and not miss a beat, I dont see that with Shannon.

By this rationale alone, couldn't we sit Donovan from time to time and have a 3rd line of Foligno - Regin - Shannon (awesome line) and a 4th line of Ruutu - Kelly - Neil?

No offense to Donovan, but that's just the best line configuration possible IMO.

While those are quality lines, I love Neil on the third line and hope he stays there as long as he's productive.

41Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:27 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L wrote:I would say Kelly, Shannon, and Campoli are the 3 likely candidates right now. A lot of teams struggling to score in The West and Murray might be able to get a draft pick or two to move up in this years draft if need be.

What is the highest draft pick we can get back for Campoli? Man, I WISH it would be a first. But he's not scoring or anything...

42Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:31 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

marakh wrote:Shannon is probably going to be traded, but until everybody's healthy for al ong period of time, I don't see why should we trade anybody now, unless we can get a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, I agree with this...
the depth is a nice luxery to have so keep it unless you get a fairly good deal. Shannon hasn't done much but at least I don't get that feeling I did when Schubert was on the ice. In other words, he's capable of not Diddling everything up, even when he's not producing.

43Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

beerandsens wrote:
marakh wrote:Shannon is probably going to be traded, but until everybody's healthy for al ong period of time, I don't see why should we trade anybody now, unless we can get a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, I agree with this...
the depth is a nice luxery to have so keep it unless you get a fairly good deal. Shannon hasn't done much but at least I don't get that feeling I did when Schubert was on the ice. In other words, he's capable of not Diddling everything up, even when he's not producing.

Agreed. Loved Shubert's energy against the Bruins in pre-season but there's a reason he was so versatile yeat couldn't consistently crack either side of the puck. Maybe he can play goalie too?

44Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With Regin and Kuba back we are still at 22 roster spots and with $1.864M in cap room. Add Winchester and we are still at a tight, but doable $1.3M and a 23-man roster (I believe that's the limit for the regular season).

So there is no reason that anyone must, absolutely be traded. It'll just be a little more crowded in the press-box.

Campoli is making $633K, Shannon is making $600K -- neither one will make a big difference (cap-wise), and if we get a one-way contract back it makes no sense at all. Kelly is the most obvious one to try an move in a trade. Good luck, there.

As for two-way contracts, I believe we have Foligno and Karlsson, and Karlsson is by far the more obvious choice to send down (he would clear more cap space).

45Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:13 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

What's the point? I don't understand why people think BM has to make a trade? We have 23 roster spots right now that are filled- and we are in the fantastic situation in which we start a thread of who we should trade, because everyone is playing so well. Healthy competition will only make this team that much better... People sitting in the pressbox will push and push to be better and be at the faceoff dot rather than a comfy seat in the 400 level.

I really don't know what everyone's so giddy about. We can talk about better things.

46Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:17 am

I agree with Jordo there for sure. Until there is a need to make a trade, what's the point?

I think Shannon is the most likely candidate to get dealt if a deal goes down but there is def no need to make one.

47Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:What's the point? I don't understand why people think BM has to make a trade? We have 23 roster spots right now that are filled- and we are in the fantastic situation in which we start a thread of who we should trade, because everyone is playing so well. Healthy competition will only make this team that much better... People sitting in the pressbox will push and push to be better and be at the faceoff dot rather than a comfy seat in the 400 level.

I really don't know what everyone's so giddy about. We can talk about better things.

Transformers 2 is out today......Megan Fox Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Herz Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959 Who does BM trade? - Page 3 48959

48Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, no way I would trade Shannon. First injury that happens we have a real NHLer waiting to step in and prove he can play.

Even Campoli can sit in the press box until there's an injury. Depth is something we've never really had - and now that we've tasted it, I can't go back to the crap 4th lines we used to have. I Who does BM trade? - Page 3 Herz this problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum