GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

VAN - NYR trade?

+2
wprager
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1VAN - NYR trade? Empty VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

What could the trade be? Any legs to it?

There've been rumours of Gomez being traded, and with Vancouver needing a #1 center and Gomez being a 3rd line center right now for NY, that seems likely.

Who would be going the other way?

2VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DashRiprock wrote:What could the trade be? Any legs to it?

There've been rumours of Gomez being traded, and with Vancouver needing a #1 center and Gomez being a 3rd line center right now for NY, that seems likely.

Cap room?

3VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:What could the trade be? Any legs to it?

I'm sorry, but why is Gomez the third line center in NY? Isn't he their top line center right now? With Drury, Dubinsky and Betts slotted after him on the depth chart?

4VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was certain he was playing third line center in the playoffs, no?

5VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That would mean Sundin's indeed heading to the Rangers. The return would probably be something like Bieska.

6VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:I was certain he was playing third line center in the playoffs, no?

It was a strange situation last season. Last year, Gomez and Drury had to be #2 / #3 centres because Jagr didn't click with either of them, and -- because Jagr always gets his way -- he instead played with Dubinsky.

With no Jagr to handle with kid gloves this year, there's little doubt that Gomez will be C1 and Drury C2 in NY.

7VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Gomez is a great playmaker, who Jagr can't click with him is beyond me... that guy must have issues.

New York has a crowded blue line already don't they? Adding Bieksa would mean someone else would have to be moved. Redden, Roszisval, Staal, Mara, Girardi, Kalinin, and Pock. Wade just signed, same with Rosz and Kalinin and Staal isn't going anywhere.

8VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If I've learned anything over the last few years, nothing is set in stone anymore in the NHL. Its not like it used to be, where teams would move the heavens and the earths to hold on to their star players. Now, we're in the era of mutually beneficial hockey decisions. Sign and trades will eventually become more and more popular; sooner or later, teams will be able to absorb some of the cap hit of a player they are trading to help alleviate cap concerns; and, gone will be the day of the player who spends his whole career with one team.

9VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It sucks that a team can draft great players only to lose them three years later because of inflated salaries.

10VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

agreed.

And i miss the days when a player lived, breathed and died by a team. The good ol' days... All in the name of progress.

I would be surprised to see Gomez traded, but that would SURELY mean Sundin is headed to a blueshirt IMHO.

11VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I hope he (Mats) isn't. If he really wants a SC he goes to Detroit (whether it is even an option), and he signs for whatever the team can afford. Seems the NYR is the team that players go to when they are on the verge of retiring, if Mats does indeed chose them. I'm hoping Ottawa's in the running, but at the same time it pushes others in our line-up down the depth charts.

Crosby will be a Penguin for life I am sure, so there will still be those odd instances of team loyalty.

12VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I keep thinking Mats is going to hang up his skates, but then as soon as i think the drama is over...another 'rumor' breaks! LOL

It's bizarre!

13VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It'd be a shame for him to retire. Would be one of the greatest to retire without a championship. Tell me that he doesn't care - who wouldn't want to hoist the cup, I mean, really?

14VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 pm

DashRiprock wrote:It'd be a shame for him to retire. Would be one of the greatest to retire without a championship. Tell me that he doesn't care - who wouldn't want to hoist the cup, I mean, really?

Sundin is a strange cat to figure out like many Swedes. He could very well sign for $3M leaving the $10M offer from Vancouver on the table for the chance to win a cup. If that were the case, I would love to see him in a Sens uni. At the end of the day the chances are less than 0.01%.

15VAN - NYR trade? Empty Re: VAN - NYR trade? Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Agreed!
And honestly, I think for ANY player to hang 'em up without knowing the fantastic feeling of skating the length of the ice with Lord Stanley's Mug hoisted HIGH for all to see would be a travesty, there's no question, which is why I cannot fathom that he would in fact retire, but some very good sources indicate that's a STRONG possibility.

No matter where he lands, I hope his last hoorah bears fruit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum