GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who does BM trade?

+15
jamvan
Vandelay
SeawaySensFan
Jordo
wprager
beerandsens
asq2
PTFlea
SensGirl11
LethalLehner
SensFan71
LeCaptain
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
spader
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

106Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

Kovalfie wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:I still would like to give more evaluation time to Cheechoo before deciding if he should be traded or not, he has only 2 assists so far I know, but the effort has been there and he is doing the small things right, the rest will fall in place. he will not be scoring 56 goals again anytime soon, but 20 to 25 is fine by me.

Do you think he'll even reach that many? I mean, we've set him up playing with two elite players and he's still not producing. Thinking to the end of the season, I can see Spezza and Michalek putting up numbers in the 80-90 point range, but I just can't see Cheechoo putting up similar numbers, maybe 40-50 at the absolute most. People say he was a victim of San Jose's depth last year but I just can't buy into that. Cheechoo is a product of the Joe Thornton effect the same way Glen Murray and Mike Knuble were and Devon Setoguchi will be. Heatley will have a career year this year I can guarantee it (barring some sort of freak injury)

I don't want to start speculating and throwing outlandish rumors out there but I would almost look to LA to see if we can work something out for Frolov; something along the lines of Zubov, Cheechoo and a 2nd for Frolov and a conditional pick. I don't think Cheechoo is going to work out here and his and Frolov's cap hits are virtually the same. Zubov isn't cracking this roster any time soon and he might get a look in LA if he doesn't take off to/stay in the KHL.

I doubt we can get anything for Cheechoo right now, and especially not Frolov. You say he's not producing with two elite players but don't forget, one of those two elite players is also not producing. Gotta give it some time. As many have already said, once he gets the first one, the flood gates might open up for him. In all honesty, even if that doesn't happen, I'm okay with the 40-50 point range you've slotted him into, as long as he keeps working hard. It's nice to have a grinder with a guy like Spezza that can (and I believe will) pot some goals when he's setup. He's not a 50 goal guy but, he's better than I expected.

107Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Jordo wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:
Jordo wrote:I think the Yashin trade could very well go down as THE worst trade in NHL history. Perhaps next to the Lindros trade.

I dunno. Olli Jokinen and Roberto Luongo for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha was a pretty bad trade.

Can we agree that Mike Milbury is the worst GM in NHL history?

Haha he's definitely up there. I'll definitely give him worst broadcaster/personality in NHL history. Honorable mention to Bob Cole and Harry Neale, and Guy Carbonneau after the weekend.

Guy was terrible. I couldn't believe it

108Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Ya, I mentioned that up there earlier.

109Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L wrote:
Jordo wrote:I think the Yashin trade could very well go down as THE worst trade in NHL history. Perhaps next to the Lindros trade.

Lindros got Philly to the finals and years of playoff hockey, Yashin got bought out and is on the books for 8 years, I think that's the big difference right there.

The Yashin deal was 100% the worst/best trade in NHL history.

True, but Colorado won cups in 96, and 2001.

You just don't see trades like that anymore. Just in case anyone forgot:

To Philly:
Eric Lindros

To Quebec/Colorado:
Peter Forsberg
Mike Ricci
Steve Duchesne
Kerry Huffman
Chris Simon
Ron Hextall
$15 million
Two first round draft picks

110Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Put it this way, does anyone not see Cheechoo getting open 10-15 times this year and Spezza being able to find him...? Ya, I dont. It's not if, it's when.

I'll say Cheechoo puts one in tomorrow night. He's just getting too many chances in close and around the net. If he was playing like say... Shannon, then I would be worried.

111Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Jordo wrote:
N4L wrote:

Lindros got Philly to the finals and years of playoff hockey, Yashin got bought out and is on the books for 8 years, I think that's the big difference right there.

True, but Colorado won cups in 96, and 2001.

You just don't see trades like that anymore. Just in case anyone forgot:

To Philly:
Eric Lindros

To Quebec/Colorado:
Peter Forsberg
Mike Ricci
Steve Duchesne
Kerry Huffman
Chris Simon
Ron Hextall
$15 million
Two first round draft picks

I think the OP meant that the Lindros trade was bad for Philly; the fact that Colorado won two cups just supports that opinion.

And the Yashin trade would not have been so bad if it wasn't for the contract Dickbury gave him after he got traded.

112Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

The 2 firsts Burke traded for Kessel might very well become Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson, who, if they reach their potential, could challenge the Yashin trade.

113Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
N4L wrote:

The 2 firsts Burke traded for Kessel might very well become Taylor Hall and Adam Larsson, who, if they reach their potential, could challenge the Yashin trade.
one can only hope not.... rather see the bruins not pick 1st but still pick high enough that burke gets fired after 2 years Smile

114Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He's not going to get fired. He's going to get promoted. It's all Peddie's fault, don't you know?

115Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:22 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:I still would like to give more evaluation time to Cheechoo before deciding if he should be traded or not, he has only 2 assists so far I know, but the effort has been there and he is doing the small things right, the rest will fall in place. he will not be scoring 56 goals again anytime soon, but 20 to 25 is fine by me.

Me too. He's playing really hard as well - I like that. And is it me, or has his skating steadily improved? I like him to hit 20 goals as well - and that's fine. Maybe more if he can stick on Spezza's line, but I'm okay with 1 goal in every 4 games.

We were also told that he was streaky as all hell by SJ fans, so he'll explode at some point I would imagine and go for it.

I can't wait for him to net one actually, it'll take a lot of weight off him and off Spezza as well I think.

Yes it has, and I hope it keeps getting better.

116Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What was wrong with Cheechoo's skating? It wasn't a problem when he scored 56 and, although the league caught on to what he and Thornton were up to, and the strict refereeing eased off (everybody was getting 100 points the first post-lockout season), he still managed to get 37 (?) goals the next season. Then I take it some injuries happened and he never really recovered.

What were those injuries and did they affect his skating? Is it possible that he never properly rehabbed the injury? Could it be that he is finally (3 years later) starting to get back to his old shape?

I've got to say that looking at him the last few games I just don't see what I was expecting after hearing "It's like he's skating in sand" and other similar comments. He may not have the blazing speed of Michalek, but he has certainly looked quicker than Heatley ever was. And he goes to the net on a regular basis, fights for position and hits people.

117Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:37 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't forget that Cheechoo also knows the definition of back-check without having to reach for a dictionary. cheers

- Unknown Author

118Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Don't forget that Cheechoo also knows the definition of back-check without having to reach for a dictionary. Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Icon_cheers

Well, yeah, but I'm not comparing Cheechoo to Heatley. You could put pretty much anyone on this team in that spot alongside Spezza and Michalek and they'd be backchecking, skating and not scoring as well as Cheechoo. Cheechoo has a history as a triggerman and the only explanations I'd heard as to why it is beginning to look like ancient history is that his skating is not at NHL level. He was injured and he lost his place on the top line, but that excuse is 2 years old. He hasn't done enough to get back on that top line and I want to know why. Certainly his skating (at least in the last few games) does not look like a good enough reason.

So, is it possible that he is *only now* properly recovered and rehabbed from whatever injuries he had?

119Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Empty Re: Who does BM trade? Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:55 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Don't forget that Cheechoo also knows the definition of back-check without having to reach for a dictionary. Who does BM trade? - Page 8 Icon_cheers

Well, yeah, but I'm not comparing Cheechoo to Heatley. You could put pretty much anyone on this team in that spot alongside Spezza and Michalek and they'd be backchecking, skating and not scoring as well as Cheechoo. Cheechoo has a history as a triggerman and the only explanations I'd heard as to why it is beginning to look like ancient history is that his skating is not at NHL level. He was injured and he lost his place on the top line, but that excuse is 2 years old. He hasn't done enough to get back on that top line and I want to know why. Certainly his skating (at least in the last few games) does not look like a good enough reason.

So, is it possible that he is *only now* properly recovered and rehabbed from whatever injuries he had?

Fine. Not even a laugh at my joke? Seriously though I got your point. I was just trying, and failing miserably it seems, to make a funny.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum